Wandering Leitmotifs - the reasoning behind the more curious placements in a score and scene

Quintus

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a creative decision that is sometimes tempered with having nothing better to work with. Case in point: Yoda's theme playing in the droid factory rescue scene in Attack of the Clones. Makes absolutely no sense there but Lucas reportedly threw this whole sequence in last minute to keep the movie from dragging at that point. He needed some exisiting music and put Yoda's theme there because he must have felt it fit musically, if not logicially.

Not true. Williams did write the music for that scene, which was not added at the last minute.

It is a creative decision that is sometimes tempered with having nothing better to work with. Case in point: Yoda's theme playing in the droid factory rescue scene in Attack of the Clones. Makes absolutely no sense there but Lucas reportedly threw this whole sequence in last minute to keep the movie from dragging at that point. He needed some exisiting music and put Yoda's theme there because he must have felt it fit musically, if not logicially.

Not true. Williams did write the music for that scene, which was not added at the last minute.

Well, he wrote music for some version of this scene, probably with animatics and random footage of people next to bluescreen. I remember that in fact this terrible scene was one of the last things completed for the movie, which JW could never have scored because the sessions were over. They were CGI'ing that catastrophe until weeks before release of the movie. So what 222max is saying is that music was tracked into that 5 or so minutes of the movie. Yoda's theme in a fanfare when he spins around like Sonic at the end of the movie ended up in there.

Well, he wrote music for some version of this scene, probably with animatics and random footage of people next to bluescreen. I remember that in fact this terrible scene was one of the last things completed for the movie, which JW could never have scored because the sessions were over. They were CGI'ing that catastrophe until weeks before release of the movie. So what 222max is saying is that music was tracked into that 5 or so minutes of the movie. Yoda's theme in a fanfare when he spins around like Sonic at the end of the movie ended up in there.

I don't want to go off topic, but this is again not correct. The scene was shot much earlier than many other scenes that were scored. It was the final battle that wasn't completed by the time Williams recorded the music, but this scene was, and Williams had composed the music. Lucas decided that he didn't like what Williams wrote and wanted a more thematic/dramatic underscore. (as it happened in many other occasions in the prequels: Lucas wanted to use thematic material more often than Williams did).

I'm still buggered by the fact the awesome choral piece from "Final Duel" in ROTJ (that's its Anthology title; it's Battle of Endor: Part XVIXVMCLCVI on the Special Edition) was not reprised anywhere in the prequels.

Yes, I guess it upsets me that when Williams cut and paste the Bespin duel music from Empire into Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel, he didn't cut and paste more music from another movie.