Gandalf The White vs. The Court of Meduseld

Faleel

Which is the better cue? (Choral comparison ONLY!)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. White Rider Vs. Court of Meduseld (Choral comparison ONLY!)

• Gandalf The White
    • The Court of Meduseld
    • I can't decide!!

Both of these cues are great, and have an epic choir section, which one is better? vote or not, you are doomed.

I don't think I have consciously noted the difference between these versions before. :o

I rather stopped overtly obsessing over the minutiae and just began enjoying the music after the CRs were released.

But I do like the film version better.

:lol:

And I see that you like things to come to a point more quickly. I was always more a "lengthy narration and description" kind of guy myself.

In Search of Lost Time must be your favorite book then. ;)

But seriously now: when the OST came out I instantly loved this bit and thought to myself "Wish it was longer". When I saw the film and heard CR I thought "Nah, that overstates the point a little bit". There's no satisfying me.

The extended Emyn Muil choral segment, on the other hand...

Karol

In Search of Lost Time must be your favorite book then. ;)

But serioiusly: when the OST came out I instantly loved this bit and thought to myself "Wish it was longer". When I saw the film and heard CR I thought "Nah, that overstates the point a little bit". There's no satisfying me.

The extended Emyn Muil choral segment, on the other hand...

Karol

I was intrigued when Doug Adams mentioned in the Annotated Score PDF that there had been a longer piece for the choir there and was so glad that the extended Emyn Muil choral passage was released on the Rarities disc.

The Two Towers is probably the best of trilogy when it comes to vocal writing - the most varied at least. I absolutely adore the piece heard when Theoden is crying over Theodred's grave. And the reprise of Moria sequence with the gorgeous finale. And the Dead Marshes, and Ent stuff, and the bit where they get to Helm's Deep, and Gandalf in Nature theme, and then Isengard Unleashed. I also have to mentioned the intro to Gollum's Song. And all the female solo vocals as well.

Hope we get some awesome new choral stuff this December. This like a film well-suited for this.

Karol

Hope we get some awesome new choral stuff this December. This like a film well-suited for this.

Karol

Yeah the Hobbit:AUJ was a bit thin on the vocal writing with no soloists (apart from a few moments) but I guess the dwarven nature of the story doesn't lend itself to much vocal work. That said I enjoyed the choral pieces in the 1st score. But let's hope indeed that they can bring back the vocal soloists and varied choral writing for DoS.

Karol

Yeah the Hobbit:AUJ was a bit thin on the vocal writing with no soloists (apart from a few moments) but I guess the dwarven nature of the story doesn't lend itself to much vocal work.

Wasn't Moria in FELLOWSHIP represented by the male choir and "grunters"?

Karol

Yeah the Hobbit:AUJ was a bit thin on the vocal writing with no soloists (apart from a few moments) but I guess the dwarven nature of the story doesn't lend itself to much vocal work.

I meant rather that there are e.g. no baritones or basses singing solos in the fashion of many other soloists in LotR. There are no equivalents of Elisabeth Fraser or Sheila Chandra or Elizabeth Bayrakdarian for the dwarven music. The Dwarven choral sounds are in Shore's music predominantly male. Or actually make that exclusive male.

Karol

I meant rather that there are e.g. no baritones or basses singing solos in the fashion of many other soloists in LotR.

Would've liked that, though. Maybe a Dwarven equivalent of the sprechstimme (wailing and whispering out of sync) in the Dead Marshes cue from TTW, for the more hellish moments with Smaug. As it stands, Shore's use of the male chorus for Dwarves is a bit limited.

Hmm, I wonder if Jackson will at any time think to have Smaug presence feel "hellish" or will he forget and overlook it while sleeplessly concentrating on the spectacular and - hopefully - charisma.

Like Incanus pointed out, I've become less concerned or attentive of such minor differences. But by and large, the CR versions are generally what I prefer, and I enjoy the extended choral part more :P

We're discussing the choral bit here:

To be quite honest they are almost identical, but the CR/film version sounds almost looped. Not editorially but it seems Shore extended it a bit to match film changes (I think). Or abbreviated the long version to make to make it tighter. Whatever.

0:13:

2:25:

For me the OST version says it all and more gracefully. Not sure why people vote for the other version.

Karol

The other version exists in a cue that overall simply flows much better than the OST cue. That lasting impression dictates final judgement for me when it comes to such a trivial, almost pointless comparison.

Wasn't there a poll on that one as well some time ago?

And I do prefer the film version of that as well.

The OST version is completely serviceable I'm sure. But the film version is so much grander. It really conveys the majesty of the King of Horses brilliantly.

Exactly.

OMG, I totally messed this one up! I meant Gandalf The White, as in the CR cue (but the version with the choir from the Fan Credits), vs the Court of Meduseld!