Rogerebert.com: Music & Emotions

I like how he states matter-of-factly that "John Williams' work will always stand the test of time" while implicilty derogating his scoring methodology.

It is good to see that the old sacrosanctity halo around Williams is doing its job.

I like how he states matter-of-factly that "John Williams' work will always stand the test of time" while implicilty derogating his scoring methodology.

Implicitly?

It's cut from the same simple-minded cloth that loves to state how 2013-movies are the pinnacle of moviemaking - film and audio elements are better, so it's logically movies themselves are better than ever before, too.

The fact that a lot of people will agree with him that GRAVITY and TIME are vastly better than HOFFA is of course the real tragedy here.

Pretension: on.

Oh good grief. First of all, it's not Time that the trailer uses, but Journey to the Line. Insert "all Zimmer sounds the same" remark here.

Secondly, what a load of rubbish about this Adagio thing. Simple and elegant? Trailer feels significant? I must be a heartless bastard because all that music did for me was cheapen the first half of a trailer I was excited about with painfully generic music. And Hoffa sounds cloying compared to it?! Is this bizzaro world? The on-the-nose, unadorned "powerful" chords from that trailer are the very definition of cloying.

Minimalism is fine. I like Zimmer's brand of it. But it has to have some substance to it, and not just be based around ubiquitous chord progressions that are "epic" or evoke "feels" as is almost always the case with anyone other than Zimmer trying to operate in his territory.

Pretension: off.

Yet another predictable paean to minimalist film music by a writer with minimal knowledge of music theory. Why the focus on trailer music?

Just because he's untrained doesn't mean he is not allowed to... feel!

:P

Karol

Pretension: on.

Oh good grief. First of all, it's not Time that the trailer uses, but Journey to the Line. Insert "all Zimmer sounds the same" remark here.

Secondly, what a load of rubbish about this Adagio thing. Simple and elegant? Trailer feels significant? I must be a heartless bastard because all that music did for me was cheapen the first half of a trailer I was excited about with painfully generic music. And Hoffa sounds cloying compared to it?! Is this bizzaro world? The on-the-nose, unadorned "powerful" chords from that trailer are the very definition of cloying.

Minimalism is fine. I like Zimmer's brand of it. But it has to have some substance to it, and not just be based around ubiquitous chord progressions that are "epic" or evoke "feels" as is almost always the case with anyone other than Zimmer trying to operate in his territory.

Pretension: off.

Man, what a bully.