Production/library music - anyone else into this?

Richard Penna

Are any other JWFanners aware of production music as a source of new material, and find it as fascinating as I do?

I was made aware of these companies while looking for music from some TV shows, but lately I've been searching more generally, and there's some beautiful stuff.

It doesn't always use an orchestra (some are blatantly synth), and can be minimalist, but the melodies and themes are often very catchy. I've amassed a collection of over 4 hours of material from various libraries. It's the sort of music you hear in documentaries where the music doesn't need to be 'up front', or only needs to be used in short bursts.

Some examples:

http://ksearch.kapagama.com/index.php?keys=emerald+landscape&search=SUCHEN&titel=&cdtitel=&beschreibung=

http://ksearch.kapagama.com/index.php?keys=girl+brambles&search=SUCHEN&titel=&cdtitel=&beschreibung=

http://ksearch.kapagama.com/index.php?keys=ancient+warriors&search=SUCHEN&titel=&cdtitel=&beschreibung=

http://www.audionetwork.com/show-production-results.aspx?stype=4&keywords=goblin+kingdom+egan (extremely fun one)

http://www.audionetwork.com/show-production-results.aspx?stype=4&keywords=wave+devastation

http://www.audionetwork.com/show-production-results.aspx?stype=4&keywords=wizards%20long&&order=4

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh there's no denying that you have to search for the good stuff.

Also depends how much you like electronic music, and how easily you can generate images yourself for underscore that has no context.

Oh there's no denying that you have to search for the good stuff.

Also depends how much you like electronic music, and how easily you can generate images yourself for underscore that has no context.

That's exactly why it rubs me the wrong way. It's the same for anything "stock". I know it's a practical/financial thing, but I just can't get into stuff that has no context, that's created just as generic material.

I don't like the idea of farming out music when there are countless composers willing to write original music just for the credit.

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious, if you hear music in a TV show, or radio drama/audiobook that you want, but you don't know the name of it or where its from, how do you find out?

Just curious, if you hear music in a TV show, or radio drama/audiobook that you want, but you don't know the name of it or where its from, how do you find out?

Usually with lots of patience. First, Shazam it, and upload a clip to YouTube. That'll cover normal songs, or libraries which put their stuff forward for identification. YouTube's content ID worked for me, and once I found a library, I listened through about 80 CDs of material.

Unfortunately, many TV shows don't credit their music at all, or even mention which library they've used - that's the worst case. You may never find the track in that case, unless you somehow made contact with the production company.

I understand that anyone who downloads music from these sites can use that music for as many times as they please. Good for the user, not so good for the composer. Still, I wouldn't mind to become a 'contributor'. Does anyone know how these production music sites work? Is it simply a matter of writing a few tracks, upload them to one of those sites and cash money the moment someone downloads your music?

Alex

I don't think it's as simple as 'use that music for as many times as they please'. I believe it's charged by the number of times each piece is used in a production.

What complicates it is if the track is edited - I have no idea whether the user has to pay for using just a few seconds.

There's this one tune from a sample library that shows up in everything. Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams have used it. Vangelis too.

Do you literally mean 'samples', or actual tracks? I find it hard to believe those composers use the same tracks (i.e. finished, composed pieces), but I can easily believe lots of composers use the same 'beds' or bass lines which could come from a library.

It's literally the same percussion cue. Vangelis used it bare bones in Alexander. Powell and Gregson-Williams layered in their own material in The Bourne Identity and Man On Fire, respectively.

I've heard it in a few shows like Dual Survival and I think Man vs. Wild.

It's just a drum loop, probably from Spectrasonics' Stylus RMX sample library which Powell relied on a lot on the Bourne films. I know he used the '122-Wicked Bad' preset on THE ITALIAN JOB.

It's this thing:

Also those weird noises at the beginning of "Escape From Embassy" are used often between Powell and Harry.

There was a time Vangelis played his own percussion. I wish I could freeze that time so that it would last forever.

Alex, have you ever read the account of Vangelis' audition for Yes, back in 1974?

I read Jon asked him but that Vangelis turned it down politely. Loved the shit that Patrick Moraz did on Relayer though. He made Yes sound funky! (Sound Chaser)

Alex

Yeah, "Sound Chaser" is definitely the goods! I love "Relayer"!

There is a boot from a live concert at QPR footie ground, where Yes starts with "Sound Chaser": they play it a double speed!!!

The version in the book by Chris Welch (I think) is that Vangelis went to see Yes, and had a right-old bash on all the instruments, and then said "no" - "so the story goes"...

The pompousness of Yes' music couldn't have been a problem for Vangelis, after all, he was in Aphrodite's Child. I think Vangelis was focussing too hard on becoming a solo artist and that being a fifth member of a band wasn't really what he was after.