Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Such a great episode, and one of the most creative holodeck/suite ones because of its premise: the doctor has to play the thing out in order to save the lives of everyone important to him. It was just great fun to watch the cast chew on great galumphing gobs of scenery throughout (especially Avery Brooks).

I was never much on the holodeck episodes of TNG either—at least not until Barclay came along and gave the holodeck a whole new level of intrigue.

You're kidding! "Hollow Pursuits" is one of the classic episodes of TNG.

Children Of Time

The DS9 cast discovers a small colony on a remote world that was originally populated by them 200 years earlier due to a time-travel accident with the Defiant. The current colonists lives depend on making sure that accident happens again, even though they've now forwarned the crew that it will happen. Each crew member needs to decide if they are willing to give up their lives on DS9 in order to preserve the history of the colony.

Not just a definite season highlight, this episode is also a series highlight and ranks as one of the best conceived and realized Star Trek stories ever produced.

There any many episodes that deal with time travel, and temporal paradoxes, but this one uses the concept as a tool of telling basically a story about morality. fate, choices.

The choice is going back to DS9 and altering time so 8000 descendants never excited, or re-engineer the accident that sent the Defiant back 200 years and let history take it's course.

The reactions of the crew are as different as they are themselves. O'Brien can hardly look at his great-great-great granddaughter, because she represents leaving his actual family behind.

Bashir, fairly un-attached on DS9 seems more open to the idea of an alternate life.

Dax is an interesting one. It was here fault that they got stranded on the planet, and her fault that Kira dies a few weeks after. I love the subtle but pained expression on Terry Farrel's face when she learned Kira died a few weeks after they got stranded there. It's a guilt that the Dax symbiont will carry over to the other Daxes.

The best character angle is the Odo/Kira one. A Odo who's 200 years older, and looks more human essentially get's Nerys back. And tells her he loves her.

The scenes between the two characters is handled with a nice delicacy. As she must decide if her life is worth 800 lives. While for Odo it just means losing her.

The episode goes though the philosophical angles of it's main conundrum via various angles. Religious, practical etc, and doesn't come up with a handy get out clause.

The ending, for star trek, is very dark. the "alternate"Odo decides that saving Kira means more to him then the community he has lived in for 200 years.

Quite a stroke of genius to have the"alternate" Odo link with "our" version she the Kira/Odo friendship can't go back to the way it was.

The whole episode is based on a solid premise, both from a storytelling and emotional point of few. The temporal science isn't completely solid, naturally. (if the colony never existed, how can they remember it? If Alternate Odo never excited, how could he reprogram the Defiant's flight plan.

But those are issues the episode has in common with practically every time travel story there is. And I really can't fault it for it.

It's premise is solid, and perfectly executed.

Blaze Of Glory

Represents a closure of the Maquis storyline that started in season 2, and puts a final end to the character of Michael Eddington

Ira Steven Behr wrote this with an intention to have the Maquis wiped out forever, but wasnt allowed to because Voyager might make use of them. So it was left a tad open ended as to if any of them survived. But for DS9 this was the last time they were even mentioned.

The story ties up some knots like reveal the fate of Cal Hudson, Sisko's friend who went over to the Maquis in season two.

It also slightly adjusts the view Sisko had of Eddinton. He betrayed Starfleet, but did so for a cause he truly believed in.

Avery Brooks and Kenneth Marshall (of Krull fame) enjoy a few good rounds of verbal sparring, in which neither is exactly right or wrong.

Eddington's position that the Federation turned it's back of the colonists that would eventually form the Maquis, and hunted them even though they posed no real threat for the Federation or Starfleet versus Sisko's opinion that people loike Eddington fed the colonists with false hope and dreams instead of negotiating a peace are both valid issues.

The best parts are about how the Maquis got completely wiped out after Cardassia joined the Dominion. Something I hadnt thought of before this episode.

The plot doesnt have a huge amount of substance or content beyond that. but makes for very solid viewing.

The B-story is about Nog trying to get some respect from the Klingons. Entertaining enough, but not very substantial.

Some excellent character stuff elevate this somewhat bare-bone script.

Children Of Time

The DS9 cast discovers a small colony on a remote world that was originally populated by them 200 years earlier due to a time-travel accident with the Defiant. The current colonists lives depend on making sure that accident happens again, even though they've now forwarned the crew that it will happen. Each crew member needs to decide if they are willing to give up their lives on DS9 in order to preserve the history of the colony.

Not just a definite season highlight, this episode is also a series highlight and ranks as one of the best conceived and realized Star Trek stories ever produced.

There any many episodes that deal with time travel, and temporal paradoxes, but this one uses the concept as a tool of telling basically a story about morality. fate, choices.

The choice is going back to DS9 and altering time so 8000 descendants never excited, or re-engineer the accident that sent the Defiant back 200 years and let history take it's course.

The reactions of the crew are as different as they are themselves. O'Brien can hardly look at his great-great-great granddaughter, because she represents leaving his actual family behind.

Bashir, fairly un-attached on DS9 seems more open to the idea of an alternate life.

Dax is an interesting one. It was here fault that they got stranded on the planet, and her fault that Kira dies a few weeks after. I love the subtle but pained expression on Terry Farrel's face when she learned Kira died a few weeks after they got stranded there. It's a guilt that the Dax symbiont will carry over to the other Daxes.

The best character angle is the Odo/Kira one. A Odo who's 200 years older, and looks more human essentially get's Nerys back. And tells her he loves her.

The scenes between the two characters is handled with a nice delicacy. As she must decide if her life is worth 800 lives. While for Odo it just means losing her.

The episode goes though the philosophical angles of it's main conundrum via various angles. Religious, practical etc, and doesn't come up with a handy get out clause.

The ending, for star trek, is very dark. the "alternate"Odo decides that saving Kira means more to him then the community he has lived in for 200 years.

Quite a stroke of genius to have the"alternate" Odo link with "our" version she the Kira/Odo friendship can't go back to the way it was.

The whole episode is based on a solid premise, both from a storytelling and emotional point of few. The temporal science isn't completely solid, naturally. (if the colony never existed, how can they remember it? If Alternate Odo never excited, how could he reprogram the Defiant's flight plan.

But those are issues the episode has in common with practically every time travel story there is. And I really can't fault it for it.

It's premise is solid, and perfectly executed.

It was one of the more interesting episodes but I liked this. I also liked how Chief O'Brian refused to have any part on needing for history to repeat itself as he had a wife and kids back on DS9. It wasn't until the end he finally realized that it had to be done. Damn that other Odo.....

Empok Nor

While salvaging components from DS9's sister station, the crew run afoul of a "surprise" left behind by the Cardassians.

Best part of this tense episode is the production design, camera work and special effects, which turn the usual sets into a dark and creepy abandoned space station. the exterior shots of a lob sided Empok Nor are very foreboding. (even though technically space has no up and down, something Star Trek never really seemed to realize). Starting at season 5, the show would at time shave a "motion picture" feel to it's technical aspects. The lighting in this episode is very well done.

In essence this is a horror story. Alien on DS9. With a small crew picked of one by one.

The only real character stuff is between Garak and O'Brien.

Like many horror films it descends into some of the usual cliche's. People split up when that's the last thing they should do. There's a scare that turns out to be a false alarm...followed by the real thing.

Garak descending into madness is interesting because it does remind us how dangerous he can actually be. And Andrew Robinson hasn't lost his touch when it comes to playing a villain.

The rivalry between him and O'Brien seems a bit tacked on though. But I do like it when O'Brien is put in a tough spot.

A tense, at times rather scary episode with effective music by Jay Chattaway. The script is a bit formulaic, but overall it does work very well.

That was definitely a good episode. O'Brien's engineering skills pay off big time for the showdown between him and Garak. "I'm not a soldier anymore, I'm an engineer." I also loved the statement O'Brien gave to Garak...

In The Cards

Jake and Nog go through hell and high water, from participating in an auction to dealing with the Dominion, to receiving a Willie Mays baseball card to cheer up the war-fatigued Captain Sisko.

Such a fun story. One of the best Jake.Nog episodes ever.

With the next episode to be the dramatic season closer it's a very nice idea to make this one a light one.

The premise is similar to the B story of season one's Progress, when Jake and Nog are trying to shift self-sealing stembolts.

Lofton and Eisenberg really got their chemistry down and the script provides them with some very witty lines. (Ronald D. Moore does a nice parody of his "we work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity." in Star Trek: First Contact.

Brian Markinson guest stars as Dr. Elias Giger, hilariously trying to find a way to become immortal by relieving the humanoid cells of boredom via a cellular regeneration and entertainment machine. His explanation of his theory starts out believable enough (jn a Star Trek way) but soon descend into hilarious absurdity.

This is one of the very few episodes to have a lighthearted A story and a more serious B story.

The B story involve negotiations between Kai Winn and Weyoun. The Dominion wants Bajor to sign a non aggression pact with them. It shows Kai Winn at her most sympathetic up to this point (something that started with Rapture) as he seems genuinely concerned for Bajor, and actually puts her faith in the hands of the Emissary.

It's an effective way to keep the Dominion arc present on the minds of the viewer and builds nicely towards the season finale.

In The Cards is something of a fan favorite and I can see why. Despite the comedy nature, both Jake and Nog's intentions are earnest, and the rest of the cast (apart for Terry Farrel who is missing from this ep) is given a nice moment to shine. (my fav being Bashir. "I want...Kukalaka...")

A treasure trove of great lines, good acting, solid characters...everything that makes DS9 great!

I agree another good episode. I loved Kira's reaction to O'Brien when he walks in Sisko's office to see his desk missing and Kira wondering "WTF" expression.

A Call To Arms

With the continuing battalions of Jem'Hadar entering the Alpha Quadrant in preparation for war, Sisko decides to mine the wormhole to prevent further troop movement.

This provokes a confrontation between the Dominion and the Federation, forcing Sisko to abandon DS9.

Like many of the great arc heavy DS9 episodes this one starts with a seemingly in important scene of Rom and Leeta bickering over a wedding dress.

However A Call To Arms is in many ways the episode that Ds9 has been building to since the very beginning. In season one, episode one Dukat told Sisko he wasn't happy about leaving his office.

And ever since the Jem Hadar ships destroyed the USS Odyssey in the season 2 finale, it seemed like a attack on Deep Space Nine by a Dominion fleet was imminent.

The series did a rather marvelous thing, and bided it's time, stretching the inevitable, focusing on the war with the Klingons, the slow crumbling of the Cardassian empire etc etc

The final episode of season 5 finally gives us an all out Dominion attack on DS9. But even here it builds to it. There's a great scene between Sisko and Weyoun, both knowing war in inevitable, both talking about peace and finding a non-violent solution. Both are lying to each other, and both know it. Some great tension there.

Also interesting is the relationship between Dukat and Weyoun. Dukat would love nothing more then to not only reclaim *his* station, but take back Bajor as well. This episode gives the first hints of how both Cardassia and Dukat are restrained by the will of the Dominion.

The battle is the first big attack on DS9 since The Way Of The Warrior, and it's even grander in scope.

What's also brilliant is that there is no last minute appeal. DS9 puts up a hell of a fight, but is hopelessly outnumbered, resulting in all the Starfleet officers abandoning the station and leaving it for the Cardassians and the Dominion.

Basically splitting up the cast and pulling the rug from under the viewer.

Kira, Odo and Jake remain. Since Bajor signed the non-aggression treaty with The Dominion Kira seems safe. Odo too, as Weyoun considers him a God. Jake, being the son of The Emissary seems reasonably protected as well. But poor Rom.... :)

The final scene between Dukat and Weyoun, in Sisko's office, and the fantastic closing shot that follows show both the deeply personal conflicts and the epic canvas in which it now takes place. Even more then 15 years later I still get goosebumps from it.

The Dominion War has begun!

It definitely was a good season finale. The ending piece of music too for that episode is bad ass! Of course we know it's on the LLL set.

With that last shot of the Klingon and Federation fleets together... whoever thought 100 years ago (Kirk's time) that would happen.

A Time To Stand

Borrowing a captured Jem'Hadar attack ship, Sisko and crew embark on a mission to destroy the hidden base where all of the ketracel-white is stored for the entire Alpha Quadrant.

Season 5 closed with DS9 finally being attacked by the Dominion, forcing Sisko and Starfleet out with Dukat finally taking back his beloved station. Nevertheless it wasn't a donwer of a cliffhanger. Siskp lost the battle, but the war was far from won. He had left his baseball in his office, and the final shot of the season saw The Defiant joining a vast Starfleet armada, ready to take the Dominion head on. With Jay Chattaway's punchy brass declaring a resolve but in words by Ensign Nog.

"And then we make the Dominion sorry they ever set foot in the Alpha Quadrant."

Season 6 opens with that same armada. thinned out, full of damaged ships with a Defaint crew that isn't as optimistic. 3 months of defeat having somewhat dulled their resolve.

A Time To Stand is in fcat part one of a 6 episode arc, a first time for Star Trek, and quite a big deal at the time, even for DS9.

The episode concentrates on the demoralized Starfleet officers. They continue to fight of course. But hope is slowly sinking. Even the usually chipper Bashir seems quite grim "Not quite so boyish anymore, Doctor" Garak observes.

Admiral Ross is introduced here. Star Trek has gone through dozens of admirals through the years, usually only fit for an episode or two, barking out orders or being a pain in the neck. Ross would be the first regular admiral on teh show, and an interesting character with a solid working relationship with Sisko.

The Starfleet story is a good one. Taking the captured Jem Hadar ship into enemy territory to commit an act of sabotage.

The heart of the episode lies with the Terok Nor story though. The station now under Cardassian/Dominion rule.

A Call To Arms already showed a minor difference of interest between Dukat's and Weyoun's ambitions. Dukat, the Cardassian patriot wants to turn things back they way they were during the occupation. With him having a tight hold on the Bajorans. But Weyoun has subtler plans. Wanting to showcase the Dominion as dependable allies to other Alpha Quadrant powers. Not a conquiring force, but a strong parental leader.

This is never more clear then in the tone of Weyoun's voice. friendly, but insistent. The tone of a father acting in the best interest of his child.

The Terok Nor story is filled with the brilliant character scenes that make DS9 so great. Long stretches of dialogue between Dukat and Weyoun, Kira and Odo, Kira and Dukat, Odo and Weyoun etc etc. All seizing each other up.

There's an interesting thread evolving that is first spoken out by Quark.

"I never expected to say this, but as occupations go, this one's not so bad."

And he's right. No ghettos on Terok Nor. No atrocities. No Cardassian or Domninion troops on Bajor. Things aren't actually as bad.

This concept brilliantly shows of the insidious nature of The Dominion compared to the more obvious villainous intentions of Klingons, Romulans, The Borg etc...

A brilliant start of season 6, and it's 6 part story arc!

Children Of Time

A strong story certainly. The resolution might be viewed as a bit of a cop out I guess. They do their best to avoid it, but they can't skip it entirely (though the way it unfolds gives a lot more food for thought).

Empok Nor

Brilliantly atmospheric thanks to the cinematography and music. Lots of Final Conflict/Jurassic Park type string scales. Perhaps I'm remembering it better than it actually is, or perhaps it doesn't work so well separated from the visuals, but I was really disappointed when this turned out not to be on the CD set.

A brilliant start of season 6, and it's 6 part story arc!

In my memory, the long stretch from the ending of S5 to quite far into S6 is the best thing to ever come out of Trek, at least TV wise.

Children Of Time

A strong story certainly. The resolution might be viewed as a bit of a cop out I guess. They do their best to avoid it, but they can't skip it entirely (though the way it unfolds gives a lot more food for thought).

The fact that it was Odo (in a way) who caused the alternate timeline to be undone prevents it from really being a cop-out.

Rocks and Shoals

Sisko and his crew crash on a barren world when their commandeered Jem'Hadar ship is shot down. They encounter Jem'Hadar who crashed there earlier, and have taken Nog and Garak hostage in exchange for medical aid for their Vorta overseer.

Part 2 in the Dominion ocupation arc.

The Starfleet story once again shows the hatred that exists between the straight-arrowed, disciplined Jem Hadar and the cunning Vorta. It also features Sisko in his "battlefield commander" role. I like the concept that the Jem Hadar know they are being betrayed by their Vorta, but go along with it anyway. Their loyalty to the Founders permitting nothing else.

The Vorta Keevan makes for an interesting and slimy character, one of the more interesting Vorta seen on the show, and apart from Weyoun the only one who we will see a second time.

Nice character stuff. Nog refusing to turn his back on Garak after the events of Empok Nor. A fun scene where the Jem Hadar watch closely while Bashir operates on the Vorta. Not to protect him, but because they have never seen a Vorta on the inside.

The Terok Nor story is a great one. Instead of having more cracking dialogue between Dukat/Weyoun/Damar etc etc it concentrates on Kira. And her role on the station, and indeed as liaison between The Dominion and Bajor.

In fact she is a collaborator. The kind she used to hate. In season two's The Collaborator she takes great glee in having one arrested. Now she fulfills the same role.

This is actually very believable because of the nature of the Dominion. It goes back to the "I never expected to say this, but as occupations go, this one's not so bad." line quark had one episode earlier.

The Borg state thewir intentions with their "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated" line. The Dominion are far more insidious. Not so much invading a world but...offering a hand.

Much like the Dominion assisted the nearly defeated Cardassia in rebuilding it's realm, they plan to send 400 Vorta to Bajor to "oversee" the situation, to asses the needs of Bajor and how The Dominion can assist them.

Both Kira and Odo don't immediately see it. There's a great scene where they are asked some uncomfortable questions by intrepid reporter Jake Sisko. But it takes the suicide of a Vedek (hanging herself in a dramatic display of defiance) that wakes Kira up. Suddenly she sees she is surrounded by people who are the enemy, even the friendly Cardassian who brings her coffee every morning.

Her decision to start a resistance is completely in character, she even threatens to fight Odo if she gets in her way. So the season 1 Kira may have softened up, but is still there somewhere.

Sons and Daughters

Serving with his recruit son aboard a Klingon vessel, Worf finds his relationship with his son strained. Meanwhile, strained relationships abound on DS9 between Major Kira and Gul Dukat.

After two great episodes comes one that is merely decent.

I was never a fan of the Worf/Alexander stories in TNG. They reduced Worf from a fearsome warrior with a strong code of honor to an inflexible father. Their relationship seemed to be adequately resolved in season 7's Bloodlines. So it's a little weird that they suddenly return to the character. Especially since he has received only a single mention in DS9 up to that point.

But the problem lies more with the execution of the story then anything else. Alexander comes back, with a huge chip on his shoulder. He hates and resents his father for basically abandoning him. This is actually an interesting concept. But their conflict is resolved in such a clumsy way. Alexander goes from hating his father to accepting a second change with him in seemingly minutes.

The characterization of Alexander is that he is incompetent and clumsy, and therefore an embarresment to Worf. But this is done so over the top that it becomes a puizzle how the Klingon's ever accepted his enlistment in the first place.

A good scene between Martok and Alexander is nullified a bit by the end, where Alexander joins the house of Martok.

I guess that's the main issue with this episode. The Martok/Work stuff is far more interesting then the Alexander story. Hertzler is great in depicting Martok as a man who's growing a bit weary with Worf's family dealings. I also enjoyed his camaraderie with Sisko.

The major issue with this story however is that it promises more to come. Worf actually being a father to Alexander. Teaching him the ways of the Klingons, guiding him. They take a sacred vow together.

But after this Alexander would feature in only one more episode, as a marginal character. And he would not be mentioned again on the show at all. Making this all a bit of a waste of time.

The B story also deals with parent issues. Zyal returns to DS9, and Dukat uses this to try and get closer to Kira again. There is actually a lot of nice character stuff there, but much of it has been done before.

So, decent, watchable as ever. But quite redundant.

Behind The Lines.

After forming an attack plan on the Dominion, Sisko relinquishes command of the Defiant to Dax after accepting a promotion. On DS9, the resistance faces discovery when Odo links with another changeling.

The Starfleet story is a nice and subdued one. Dealing with Sisko being reassigned to a desk job, coordinating the war effort. This really isnt Sisko's kinda thing. he's the battlefield commander who prefers to be in the thick of it. But of course there's a war on, she he complies while his Definat goes into battle without him. There's a nice tradition onboard the Defiant of having a short speech every time the ship exhaust one of it's phaser power cells. The cameraderie of troops in war time.

The Terok Nor story has greater relevance to the continuing arc. Finally things between Kira and Odo come to blow after the female changeling comes to the station and slowly begins to work her magic on him.

Odo, still the man alone, joined the resistance cell because Kira insisted, but sedition and sabotage go against his sense of order.

The female changeling teaching him about his people, linking with him doesnt help matters. There's a strong Kira/Odo scene where she begs him to stop linking. He obeys at first, but the concept is too appealing. There's a nice understated sense of sexuality in the scenes with Odo and the female changeling.

Because of this Odo doesnt keep his promise to the Resistance, Rom gets caught trying to break into a secured area.

There's a great scene with a very angry Kira going to Odo's quarters and instead of ringing the door bell, she hits it...twice! (still a feisty one)

The Kira/Odo friendship is the earliest one on the show, and despite the tumultuous nature of some of it, mainly because Odi's feelings for her run deeper then hers for him, they have always been able to trust each other.

The final scene of the episode. Kira being devastated by his betrayal, and Odo not really being affected by is is quite shocking.

Behind The Lines contains virtually no action, or any big plot concerning the Dominion arc. It revolves mostly around the characters, how the war, and the Dominion presence in the Alpha Quadrant affects them.

After the slightly too average Sons and Daughters it's a massive improvement.

I do have to say, that for a resistance movement working near the heart of their enemy, Kira, Odo, Rom and Jake arent exactly covert. Discussing plans in the open, at times in quite a loud voice....

Favor The Bold

Sisko mounts an attack to re-take DS9, while Rom faces charges as an enemy of the Dominion state.

Slowly the pieces are moving in place for the conclusion of this 6 episode arc, or 7 if you include A Call To Arms.

In the Federation storyline Sisko pushes through a proposal for a taskforce to retake DS9, and therefor the wormhole before Dominion reinforcements can come though.

There's a nice callback to a plot idea thta first appeared in season two's The Maquis, where Earth is the Federations paradise. One admiral is worried that Sisko's plan diverts too many ships away from Earth, leaving is vulnerable. Sisko arguis that The Doninion doesnt care about Earth, that the wormhole is the key to DS9.

This is followed by a scene later where Sisko tells Admiral Ross that after the war, he intends to build his house on Bajor.

Once again Deep Space Nine moves itself away from the standard Star Trek ideals, which have always been incredibly Earth centric.

The Terok Nor story has some great character bits. It starts with a scene between Quark, Rom and Leeta. Initially a comedy scene but it slowly turns more serious as Rom states he is willing to die for his actions, and implores Quark to continue his mission (disabling the minefield). Max Grodénchik does a very admirable job switching from his ïdiot" persona to a Rom who actually has deep convictions...and back again. The scene also shows Quark's deep concern for his brother. This is followed by another good scene between Quark and Kira. Both never ever got along, but both are extremely close to Odo in their own ways. It's nice that Quark still belives Odo can do something about Rom's situation despite Kira telling him its useless.

Meanwhile Odo's indoctrination continues. He and the female changeling actually have sex, the aftermath seeming a bit of a let down for both.

His seduction towards the Dominion side of things is done with a nice bit of subtlety. But I genuinely believed the female changeling when she told Weyoun that returning Odo to the Link is more important then winning any war.

Nice character scene between Weyoun/Kra and Weyoun/Dukat. Jeffrey Combs is such an asset to the show. Just the way he says the word "Gods" is epic.

Kira finally beats up Damar. Quite convincingly too. Star Trek fight-scenes have certainly improved over the years. (TNG never convinced in that area)

The episode (another excellent mixture of character and plot, and a hell of a lot tighter then GoT) ends with the newly assembled armada heading towards a Dominion fleet twice its size.

Fortune favor the bold...

fleet_zps7d941e38.jpg

To be fair, if there had been time for the other two fleets that the Federation fleet was waiting for to arrive it probably would have closely matched the Dominion fleet.

The message from Jake to his father (via Morn) got there a little too late.

Sacrifice of Angels

The Federation attacks DS9 in hopes of keeping the mine field in the wormhole intact, while the Dominion waits entrance to the Alpha Quadrant from the other side.

The finale of the 6 episode arc. While these epic stories tend to end the huge epic space battle, filled with star-ship porn, Sacrifice of Angels opens with it. With a space battle that dwarfs any seen on DS9 upto that point, and therefore everything seen in Star Trek up to that point.

The effects work on this episode isnt just well done technically (over 15 years later it still looks good technically) but it's also done with a hell of a lot of panache.

Like all Star Trek this show isnt about the huge battles and massive effects scenes. Most of the shots only last seconds. But they are able to give the show an epic canvas that Star trek TOS, and TNG lacked. They also had ambitious stories, but too often didnt have the visuals to support them.

Much of the episode is character driven. Odo finally wakes up and smells the roses. The Link is a paradise for him, but he cannot ignore the suffering The Dominion brings to his friends.

There's a nice and understated scene where the female changeling understands this. Yet she doesnt try to force Odo to come with her. It must be his choice...

This is an important episode for Sisko. He is the most diverse of the Star Trek series captains so far. We have seen him as a station commander, community leader, a father, a religious icon and a battlefield commander. Finally the last two aspects of his character collapse head on as he wants to make a suicide run inside the wormhole, with the Prophets forbid, because "the game must continue". For once Sisko reacts agressive, adversarial and even though the Prophets agree to help him get rid of the Dominion fleet, they announce there will be a penance.

"The Sisko is of Bajor, but he will find no peace there..."

A wonderfully enigmatic line of which the meaning isnt clear at first, but it sure sounds ominous.

Some have stated that the having wormhole aliens basically unmake the Dominion fleet is a classic deus ex machina. An easy way out of the situation.

I disagree. The scenes with the Prophets go back to the very origins of DS9 as a show. From the perspective of the episode it may come out of nowhere, but there is nothing in this that doesnt make sense when it comes to the whole series up to that point.

The Prophets chose Sisko as there Emissary, they have some predetermined destiny for him, and will not allow him to disrupt that (as far as they are able to intervene), and they have powers that cannot be explained by mere science. There reaction to the angered Sisko also makes perfect sense.

Sisko will have to pay for his actions in this episode. And he actually will. The season 6 finale will see him suffer for the victory the Prophets help secure him here.

We learn a lot about Dukat too. Never has his conceit that he is "a misunderstood hero" been more clear. He laments to Weyoun how misunderstood he is. How the Bajorans never appreciated him, how there are no statues of him on Bajor, how even Sisko doesnt give him the respect he deserves. Continuously grasping Sisko's baseball as if Dukat owns Sisko with it.

Throughout much of the episode victory seems assured, and Dukat is as happy as a pig in mud.

The only thing vexing him is Ziyal's resistance towards him. Dukat is a deluded and tyranical man, but he cannot completely delude himself. He has a need to be forgiven. For someone to say

"What you did was horrible, but for the best interest of Cardassia and Bajor, and you did all you could have done....I forgive you!"

He tried endlessly to get Sisko, or Kira to acknowledge his sacrifices and grant him respect and forgiveness, and love. But neither did.

Ziyal is his daughter, half Bajoran half Cardassian and the only one who still truly loves him.

In the end of this episode, as Sisko is victorious, Dukat finally loses everything. The Dukat who's been so arrogant and assured of victory suddenly faces the reality that the long awaited reinforcements are not going to come. And his enemies are closing in.

Marc Alaimo gives a brilliant performance here of a man going from hero to Zero. The look of bewilderment is brilliant, as he looks for his daughter Ziyal, to at least get her to safety. Still clasping Sisko's baseball.

When he does find her, a series of events sets him over the edge and turn Gul Dukat from a complicated villain to a tragic figure.

His daughter, all he has left tells him that she has betrayed him. And refuses to go back to Cardassia with him even though she loves him. His aide Damar hearing this shoots her. Killing the last person who could have forgiven him. This sequence of events coupled by the sudden defeat render him insane.

In essence this episode is more about Dukat then any other character. He has the final scene, even though Sisko is there too. In a holding cell, delirious after Ziyals death, talking to her still.

"We'll go back to Cardassia, Ziyal. We'll be safe there. You'll live with me. Everything will be fine. We'll both be very happy together. I know you forgive me. After all, I am your father. And I forgive you... my precious girl... "

Even though Dukat has consistently been a villain throughout the show, this final scene is actually heartbreaking.

The final lines of the episode, after giving Sisko back his ball "And I forgive you too", shows how insane he has become."

A smashing end to the 6 (or 7) part story.

You Are Cordially Invited

Suddenly desiring to wed within the week on DS9, Worf and Jadzia go through their own Klingon rituals: Worf on a four day bachelor party with the male members of the crew & Jadzia deals with her prospective mother-in-law, who totally opposes the idea of "an alien" marrying into her Klingon household.

After 7 heavy episodes dealing with war and death, the mood is lightened with a lovely featherweight episode about the wedding of Worf and Dax.

Even though it's a Klingon ceremony, it contains almost all of the clichés of the wedding story. Bachelor party from hell, the nagging mother-in-law, arguments, cancellation, and eventually the wedding goes forward.

Concept wise there is little if anything original in this episode.

But it sure is fun.

As always with DS9, it's the character scenes that make things worth while.

The Klingon bachelor party is a gem, as it doesnt involve partying as much as it does endurance, suffering, sacrifice, blood and death. Much to the dismay of Bashir and O'Brien.

Ronad D. Moore's script has fun with Klingon traditions. Klingon males may sit on the council, but have little authority in matters of their house. Martok's wife Sirella is the formidable presence who must be persuaded to take an alien (Dax) into her house. It's fun to see a fearless warrior like Martok essentially powerless in these matters.

Sirella is a pretty imposing bitch, and her insulting Dax is the first instance of the word "slut" in Star Trek.

The situation between them seems to kind of resolve itself though.

The argiment between Dax and Worf seems typical for them. A clash of cultures and ego. But it's interesting that Dax is the one more stubborn this time.

The actual wedding, with it's allusions to Klingon myth and pounding of drums is quite effective.

The episode also follows up in the Dominion arc. Sisko is delighted to be back home. Kira equally delighted to have him back where he belongs. Small scenes like that help maintain the continuity of the show.

I also enjoyed the way Kira and Odo avoided each other, because of their arguments in the previous 2 eps.

The resolution, having them talk for hours about their issues in a cupboard during Dax's bachelorette party is cute...but a bit lacking in substance. I mean this is Odo and Kira. Two of the shows most complex characters with a long history together. A resolution between them could have had a bit more depth.

The bachelorette party sure is fun though? Exotic fire breathing, weird ass dancing. Much better then the usual Federation reception where people just stand and have polite conversation.

It is interesting to note that this is in fact a mixed race marriage. Even in the 90's, where DS9 took soem chances by having an episode with a same-sex kiss (re-joined) it has been a little coy when it comes to interracial relationships.

Sisko pursues 3 woman on the show, all of them black. (though it must be said he also beds mirror universe Kira and Dax)

In The Visitor the 40+ Jake married a Bajoran woman, who is the first, and only black Bajoran woman who gets any lines on the show.

The Worf/Dax relationship actually works rather well. Despite their obvious differences they do have a lot of commonalities (mainly due to Dax' deference to Klingon culture, established even before Worf joined the show. The "opposites attract" angle actually works. Something I feel it never did with the attempted Worf/Troi relationship they tried on TNG, but only seemed to have happened in alternate timelines and parallel universes.

Apart from the obvious fact that Worf and Dax become husband and wife, there is little consequential happening in this episode. But it really is great fun.

• 5 weeks later...

Just did a marathon of season 3 over the course of a couple sick days. I think they constantly dropped the ball this season and it may be the weakest. Basically any episode without Garak is either mediocre or plain sucks.

• 1 month later...

The Human Adventure Continues!

Ressurection

Major Kira takes a romantic interest in a Bajoran radical from the other universe who transports himself into her universe and onto DS9

If this was a Friends episode it would be called "The One Where Bareil Returns".

To his credit, Philip Anglim delivers his best performance as a character called Bareil here, with the same sarcasm, but far less wooden. Nana Visitor reportedly didn't enjoy the episode, maintaining Kira was over Bareil and would not fall in love with a stranger so fast, but she does her usual bang up job as both her regular Nerys and the Intendant. (impressive how she makes them two totally different characters even in the same uniform.

Major Kira so far has been the character with the least successful romantic stories of the series, and this one really isnt that remarkable either. It's basically the typical Star Trek 45 minute love story that ends with the boy not getting the girl, or vice versa. I did like the ending though, where mirror mirror Bareil admits that he is a thief and always will be, and Kira rejects him on that basis.

Some good character scenes with Dax, Worf and even Quark make this episode a perfectly watchable, but hardly memorable experience.

The re-watch has resumed though!

Statistical Probabilities

A group of genetically engineered humans are brought to Dr. Bashir on DS9 in hopes of integrating them with the rest of the universe.

One of the episodes that actually make the retconning of Bashir to an genetically engineered human a worthwhile chance, since it provides the character with an interesting new side.

Bashir is joined by a One Flew Over The Cuckoo's next ensemble of augments, who use their genetically enhanced brain to determine that statistically there is no way Starfleet can defeat the Dominion and it's better to surrender and spare the lives of the 900 billion casualties their research predicts. I like the way this affects Bashir's thinking. And it gives a small glimpse into the way he views "normal" people. (O'Brien)

I like the way Bashir offers to "explain it again" when he thinks O'Brien or Sisko don't understand something.

The guest actors are fun too watch, if without subtlety. Also very interesting to see the "new" team of Weyoun and Damar. as a follow up to Weyour/Dukat.

Damar is wracked with guilt over killing Zyal, and what that did to Dukat, and unlike Dukat he knows he is nothing more then a Dominion stooge. Something which will become very important later in the series.

A solid episode that deal with The Dominion War in a slightly different way. And a good one for Bashir.

The whole plot of the augments wanting to supply the Dominion with top secret Starfleet tactical info strains credibility a tad though. Would Starfleet really allow information that classified to a bunch of people with essentially mental issues?

The Magnificent Ferengi

At the request of the Grand Nagus, Quark puts together a mission to rescue Quark's mother, who is in the hands of the Dominion.

This one is a bit of a favorite of mine, mainly because of the ridiculousness of it. It's a pure, unadulterated Ferengi episode which reunites Quark, Rom and Nog with Brunt and Gaila and adds a new character, the murderous Ferengi Leck in the mix. On a hair-brained mission to get Ishka back from the Dominion.

The first episode to feature 2 Vorta. the treacherous Keevan from Rock and Shoels return sin a prisoner exchange gone wrong, and punk rock megastar Iggy Pop plays the Vorta Yelgrun.

Having Iggy Pop in Star Trek doesn't really work, because he's so obviously Iggy Pop, and yet it does work...because it's Iggy Pop....in Star Trek!

There isnt a whole lot to say about this episode except that it's loads of fun. It's obviously a bottle show, like the last 2 were, so the prisoner exchange takes plane on Empok Nor for that reason. The actors clearly have a blast with the material.

One of the many entertaining, yet dumb, episodes of DS9. It works because of the characters. It would never have worked on TNG, which was more dependent on good stories and did very little with the majority of its characters.

Waltz

After being attacked by Cardassian forces, Sisko gets stranded with a very psychotic Gul Dukat, who was being transported to his trial. Meanwhile the crew of the Defiant races to rescue survivors.

After the fluffy fun of the previous episode comes what is essentially a 2 character stage play, and a damn gripping one.

The framework of the story, Dukat and Sisko being stranded on a planet, while the DS9 crew have only a limited time to rescue them isnt exactly a fresh concept. But the real meat of the episode is the waltz that develops detween Sisko and Dukat while they are (apparently) stuck on a hostile planet. And unexpectedly, it's Dukat that leads the dance...

The episode begins with Sisko visiting Dukat in the brig, in a scene of tense awkwardness. Dukat seems recovered from his downfall. Once again the calculated and seemingly reasonable man. But there is something off about him.

There's the moment where Dukat first addresses Sisko as Benjamin, something he's never done before, and it's followed by a brief moment of silence, and a subtle hint of surprise from Sisko.

Throughout the series Dukat has had the desire to have Sisko agree with him, see things his way. Because he's in the same position that Dukat was once. In charge of the Terok nor, and not a Prefect, but an Emissary of Bajor. Beloved and worshiped by them as he was disposed and hated.

In his own mind Dukat is innocent of any of the crimes and atrocities put to him. Yet he is haunted by his actions. That's why throughout the show he craves understanding from Sisko, and forgiveness from Kira.

Down on the planet it becomes clear that Dukat has become dangerously unstable, and has hallucinations of three people representing parts of him. Damar, the apologist, who soothes Dukat's conscience. Weyoun, who sternly reminds him what he should have instead of the actions that he took, and Kira, who openly mocks and taunts him.

Having regulars or semi regulars act as the choir of someone subconscious isnt exactly an original idea, but it actually works very well here.

Marc Alaimo has always been excellent as Dukat, and it's pretty much his episode this time. Giving him most of the dialogue (by far), he does a fantastic job going from a Dukat who once again seems fine, to one that reveals himself as pure evil, as for once in his life the pretense slips and he reveals his true nature, probably as much to himself as to Sisko.

"From the moment we arrived on Bajor it was clear that we were the superior race, but they couldn't accept that. They wanted to be treated as equals, when they most certainly were not. Militarily, technologically, culturally-- we were almost a century ahead of them in every way. We did not choose to be the superior race. Fate handed us that role and it would have been so much easier on everyone if the Bajorans had simply accepted their role. But no... day after day they clustered in their temples and prayed for deliverance and night after night they planted bombs outside of our homes. Pride.. stubborn, unyielding pride. From the servant girl that cleaned my quarters, to the condemned man toiling in a labor camp, to the terrorist skulking through the hills of Dahkur Province... they all wore their pride like some... twisted badge of honor."

"And you hated them for it."

"Of course I hated them! I hated everything about them! Their superstitions and their cries for sympathy, their treachery and their lies, their smug superiority and their stiff-necked obstinacy, their earrings, and their broken, wrinkled noses!"

"You should have killed them all, hm?"

"Yes! Yes!! That's right, isn't it?! I knew it. I've always known it. I should've killed every last one of them! I should've turned their planet into a graveyard the likes of which the galaxy had never seen! I should've killed them all."

"And that is why you're not an evil man."

Avery Brooks has the more subdued role in this dance, but it's a vital once. I love his tense uneasy in the brig, and his mix of discomfort and embarrassment later as he realizes Dukat saved his life.

Interestingly Sisko's confidence grows as Dukat reveals more of himself, and becomes more menacing.

The rest of the episode is filled out with scenes of the crew looking for Sisko, these obligatory scenes are fine, though I didnt for one minute believe Kira hammering the point home that the Defiant had only 56 hours to look for the Captain.

Excellent episode, directed with quiet confidence by Rene Auberjonois.

Who Mourns For Morn

Morn dies, leaving his entire estate to Quark, but some of Morn's old acquaintances want a piece of the action.

The title, itself a pun on a TOS episode title, pretty much covers the load. A fun, comedy episode. Focusing a lot more on Quark then Morn though.

It has a lot of fun with the character of Morn without actually featuring him. The best parts are the early stuff showing how the crew deals with his apparent death. Morn became the stand out of the many back-ground aliens in Quarks bar and it's fun to see people mourning, and Quark trying to take advantage of the situation.

The rest of the plot is more standard. lots of plotting and scheming. Sinister characters suddenly appearing in Quarks quarters. It's a cross between The Nagus and A Simple Investigation.

Forgetable, but fun.

I've up to Move Along Home in season 1. This is the greatest show of all time.

If this part of S1 is all you've seen so far, you're in for a treat. The first episodes are to the later seasons what John Goldfarb is to E.T.

I've watched the series through multiple times. I do think the earlier episodes get a bad rap. I mean, it's not a case like The Next Generation's transformation. The earlier episodes of DS9 are generally pretty good.