Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 896 pages long in

JoeinAR

the US version.

the US print will be some 6.8 million first editions, the largest first printing ever.

126 days and counting.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bah, "translated" US version....how many pages will the UK version have?

Marian - who knows what a Philosopher is.

mostly the changes in translation will only be culteral differences. I mean really if JKR were to say something about putting a fag in their mouth, the people in the US would have heart attacks.

Nobody in the US calls a bugger a bogey,

a bogey is an incoming unidentified object through the air.

it doesn't mean we are stupid, but our language and word usage is not always the same.

And Marian expect the UK version to be shorter, as their print set type will allow for more words per page than the US version

If some of the words are that different, they should put a dictionary page at the beginning of the book, or use footnotes or something. But not change the actual text.

I just hope they didn't replace Hagrid's Scottish accent by something else. :)

And the fact remains that the term "Sorcerer's Stone" doesn't mean a thing.

Marian - who thinks that this sort of translation is just a less extreme form of dubbing a movie.

i thought for sure i had preordered it, but i can't find any documentation that i did. damn. i'll have to do it again, i'll probably end up with two. :)

uuummm, Joe? Did you mean Bugger or booger? Bugger in English means to do someone up the @$$........

And putting a fag in ones mouth, I mean really!!!!! Did you have to go there? ;)

:)

the US version.

the US print will be some 6.8 million first editions, the largest first printing ever.

126 days and counting.

Btw joe thanks for the tip about phoning in a reservation at my B&N... i got two copies and a gurantee they'll be there the first day. unfortunately they're still "talking" about doing a midnight opening.

If some of the words are that different, they should put a dictionary page at the beginning of the book, or use footnotes or something. But not change the actual text.

Since these books truely are kids books even if you may think otherwise, I don't think a kid would be willing to flip to a dictionary at the beginning of the book or any where else to look up a word that's not used the same way in the American English language. All it is, is a matter of culture, and I don't see anything wrong with adjusting the words to fit the culture.

~Harry

i thought for sure i had preordered it, but i can't find any documentation that i did.  damn.  i'll have to do it again, i'll probably end up with two. :|

Send me one!! :mrgreen:

Justin -Who thinks Ren owes him for voting for her. :P

the US version.

126 days and counting.

Btw joe thanks for the tip about phoning in a reservation at my B&N... i got two copies and a gurantee they'll be there the first day. unfortunately they're still "talking" about doing a midnight opening.

that doesn't mean you have to be a the midnight opening. You can go the next day if you've reserved a copy, but for those who don't finding a copy of book 5 on Saturday will be difficult, and Sunday will be near impossible.

Since these books truely are kids books even if you may think otherwise, I don't think a kid would be willing to flip to a dictionary at the beginning of the book or any where else to look up a word that's not used the same way in the American English language.

I don't see why they'd have a problem with it if it's done via footnotes. Either there are rather few anyway, or the translations are so many that they change the character of the book.

All it is, is a matter of culture, and I don't see anything wrong with adjusting the words to fit the culture.

But then you WOULD have to translate Hagrid's Scottish to something else. And you'd have to change their school system. In the end, all comes down to culture. The stories work in the way they're told because they're set in a specific culture, in this case, the British culture. I consider culture an important aspect of a story, which is why I don't agree with changing it - and even less if the changes replace an existant term with something without meaning just because someone is afraid noone would buy books about Philosopher's (if that's really the case, then they're beyond help anyway).

Marian - who really IS annoyed by this. :mrgreen:

No kid is going to read footnotes, that makes it like school work.

There is nothing wrong with changing the words. They translate the books into German, and Spanish. All they are doing is changing words that don't have a common meaning in the same but very broad language.

It seem like everyone here thats not American thinks we are stupid because we don't know what a philosophers stone is, or that we don't know what a bogey is. Add that to the fact that the english language is the most complex of all the worlds languages, with more words than almost any two languages combined, many words with mulitple meanings, and pronunciations. Then add that slangs associated with certain areas, and you almost have completely different languages. Here in the US we have to smooth silky gentlemany southern accents, the course, harsh Northern accents, the eccentric, and varied New England accents, the neutral midwest accents, and the laid back west coast accent, plus blackspeak, whitespeak, hispanic speak, talk about culteral diversity. Now throw in all the different accents and dialects of the British isle. Its enough to drive one crazy.

No kid is going to read footnotes, that makes it like school work.

I did read them, even when I was a child.

There is nothing wrong with changing the words.  They translate the books into German, and Spanish.

And I urge everyone here capable of reading English to not read the translations. The few bits I've seen and heard of them are horrible.

It seem like everyone here thats not American thinks we are stupid because we don't know what a philosophers stone is, or that we don't know what a bogey is.

I didn't know what a Philosopher's Stone is either. I knew the German term for that supposed item, but I didn't know PS is the British translation. However, I found out while reading the book, so I didn't have any problems with that. And Rowling herself said she should never have allowed them to change the title. (And some people here are complaining about the subtitle "A New Hope"...)

Add that to the fact that the english language is the most complex of all the worlds languages

Hmm, I do doubt that. German is said to be very difficult, because there are so many irregular situations and cases and everything. And Japanese seems to be damn hard too.

Marian - who thinks English is a better language than German.

Actually, Joe.

I believe you'll find that the most commonly held opinion is that English is a fairly easy, straight forward language.

Stefancos- who thinks Dutch is an overly complex language, with to many rules, AND exeptions to those rules. :mrgreen:

back to the subject of Harry,

it will be interesting to see what literary figures are lined up to read the book for advanced reviews.

Last time (GOF) ole Stevie King was offered the chance, and I suspect he will again.

I expect that somewhere around the middle of May to the end of May we will see our first official review

I can see this turning into an ugly debate if this continues, so I'm not putting my opinion in anymore.

Debate: Yes. Ugly: Why?

Anyway, I suggest we do a poll about who we believe the doomed major character in #5 is a few week before it comes out. :mrgreen:

I can see this turning into an ugly debate if this continues, so I'm not putting my opinion in anymore.

This is the like the "anti Morn" post. It's has no meaning, only it's trying to avoid a debate instead of starting one. Bizarre.

The truth is, we can complain all we want about translations and edits done foreign versions of books, but I don't think anyone is really going to complain all that much over slight changes done to the text to make is more understandable to certain regions. I've read all of the Ian Fleming James Bond books in US editions. I'm now learning that some of the British editions are slightly different. In one case, there is a major difference, that I will not get into here, but all of this just effects details and not the main narrative thrust.

Neil