John Williams - in VIENNA??

Marian Schedenig

Reportedly, this was on Austrian TV a few minutes ago: Vienna State Opera director Ioan Holender and musical director Seji Ozawa want to bring John Williams to Vienna in 2004, as part of the opera's special children's programme. Looks like only children will be allowed there, but if he's already here, couldn't he do one or two "normal" concerts, too?

I'll watch the repetition of the TV broadcast where this supposedly was revealed in about two hours to verify and update the information.

Marian - :):):(

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true!

The way Holender said it, it's already a definitive assignment. Ozawa's idea, and supported by Spielberg. Plus he likened Williams' themes from Harry Potter to Wagner's Ring.

Is there a real future for public film music performances after all?

...now they just have to convince him to do a few concerts for adults...

Marian - :(

I knew this would be coming...give it a break! I bet you haven't even heard the Ring. Anyway, this coming out of the chief of Vienna's State Opera is probably among the highest praises a film composer can get these days.

Mom,

where are my Children's clothes

They must be around somewhere and need to borrow your car!!

I have to go to Vienna it's only a twelve hour drive

KraMB - who has problems convincing mom that it's really important

It was in Treffpunkt Kultur yesterday, the repetition was yesterday as well. I guess they won't repeat it again, but I watched (and taped :)) the repetition myself to be sure, and Holender himself definitely said it. :mrgreen:

I knew this would be coming...give it a break! I bet you haven't even heard the Ring.

I have not, the film has only been released here last week, and I have not been to a CD store yet.

Anyway, this coming out of the chief of Vienna's State Opera is probably among the highest praises a film composer can get these days.

Well, if the VSO think's that Zimmer's themes for The Ring are THAT good, i must give it a spin then.

Stefancos- who WILL go to Vienna if Williams decides to give a concert for "grown up's".

Wagner's Ring
i thought Marian was talking about the ring cycle.

hmmmmmmmm

i have no interest in seeing the ring, but then again, i haven't see any previews of it.

i"m sure they will do a concert for everyone, even the children

Wagner's Ring

hmmmmmmmm

i have no interest in seeing the ring, but then again, i haven't see any previews of it.

i"m sure they will do a concert for everyone, even the children

Marian was!!!

Were You?

I assume Stefan was "joking".

Marian - :roll:

PS: I haven't seen The Ring, but I've heard great things about it. The Zimmer score doesn't interest me very much.

Bad news: It'll be exclusively exclusively exclusively for children. We have to somehow convince him/them to do a "normal" concert as well.

Marian - not giving up yet.

The Vienna State Opera Orchestra is the pool where the Vienna Philharmonic (one of the very best orchestras in the world) get their players from. You have to play several years in the SOO before you can apply for the Philharmonic.

Obviously, they are NOT the Philharmonic, but they have lots of potential. Given enough rehearsal time, they should be able to do a great job.

And by the way, this year's children's programme (The Magic Flute, a shortened version) will be released on VHS. Perhaps there's a chance they'll do the same with Williams...

Marian - hoping there is.

They haven't done any films, which is why the LSO might be the better orchestra for Williams stuff. But the VPO are still one of the leading orchestras in the world, and only people with an irrational fear of classical music haven't heard of them. ;)

Marian - who saw them live a few times.

:) CMIYC

Hmmm...never heard of either orchestra.

What films have they done?

Stefancos- who's sure they are no LSO.

I understand you haven't heard about the VSOO... But the Philharmoniker is one of the top orchestras in the world!

They're doing the annual New Year's Concert, for example. And yes, they seem to be somewhat elitist, but they've still done lots of great stuff, including many things I'm sure you'd like if noone told you they're "classical".

Marian - who thinks Stefan forgets that the LSO are primarily a classical orchestra as well.

:) Blues Brothers 2000

Marian - who thinks Stefan forgets that the LSO are primarily a classical orchestra as well.

:) Blues Brothers 2000

I have not forgotten, but I do know that the LSO considers scoring for films to be a challenge, something different then giving yet another performance of the old stand bye's.

Stefancos- who owns the "soundtrack" of Immortal Beloved. ;)

But, if they do not do films, how can I have heard them?

Stefancos- who thinks the Philharmoniker is probably just a group of classical elitists, ignorant about film music and Williams.  :roll:

I'm not sure, but weren't thme who recorded an album with the Heavy Metal band Scorpions?

I laugh at Stefan's bemused igorance at classical music. Forgive me my old friend but LOL LOL LOL

Wagner's Ring cycle which consists of 4 operas (Das Rheingold, Siegfried, Die Walkure and my personal favourite Gotterdammerung "Camelot in smithereens...hehehehe", is one of the if not THE greatest opera-fest in music history. Williams' Star Wars cycle and recycled epics give a good run in second place followed by Goldsmith's own OMEN cycle whose 3rd cycle THE FINAL CONFLICT is somewhat ciched but hams it up nonetheless.

The horror movie "The Ring" is such a piece of trash that I don't know why I bothered typing about it. I thought it was the 3rd installment of THE LORD OF THE RINGS cycle. Shore's own RING cycle doesn't count as he couldn't find any napalm this morning.

Hitch, who is not making any sense but is clever enough to know what he himself is talking about and also :) "Trauerzug" from Gotterdammerung

I'm not sure, but weren't thme who recorded an album with the Heavy Metal band Scorpions?

I don't know about that, but I HIGHLY doubt that. :) Perhaps it was the Symphoniker? They did record some film scores, like Dune I believe.

I don't know about that, but I HIGHLY doubt that. :) Perhaps it was the Symphoniker? They did record some film scores, like Dune I believe.

If it wasn't the Wiener Philharmoniker, then it was the Berliner... One of them.

Berliner seems more likely to me. I just can't imagine the Wiener doing that kind of thing. Plus The Scorpions are German, so Berlin would make more sense. :)

Marian - who'd like to see the Wiener do more contemporary stuff (but then, that's what we have the Radio-Sinfonieorchester Wien for, and they already played Williams, too ;)).

I'm not afraid of classical music, I tried it, and decided it was not for me.

Stefancos-  :)

And now you're scared of it or you might have tried it again. :mrgreen:

Admittance is the first step. And classical music is not throw away music, it can take effort to like.

I barely have enough time to listen to all the film music CD's I have.

Who spend time trying to comprehend the complexities of Der Zauberflaute when I could give the expanded OHMSS another spin?

Stefancos- Who has heard Rite Of Spring, and frankly thought that Ron Jones' score for Star Trek TNG: The Best Of Both Worlds was more interesting. (insert :mrgreen: emotican for Mr Schedenig) :mrgreen:

Marian - who'd like to see the Wiener do more contemporary stuff (but then, that's what we have the Radio-Sinfonieorchester Wien for, and they already played Williams, too :mrgreen:).

Have they recorded too? Weren't they who made some recordings for RCA around 1997?

Stefan: Not even the parts that Williams copied for Star Wars? And I never advised you to listen to the Zauberflöte, I'm not too fond of it myself.

Miguel: No recording, but a radio broadcast of the concert (the Williams bit was the ESB suite). I have that as WAV files somewhere, but never got around to editing it. It was a good performance, but the others I have are better. :mrgreen: (What I'd really want from that concert is Aaron J. Kernis' New Era Dance, but for whatever reason, they didn't broadcast that. And it seems nobody recorded it for a CD release so far either).

Marian - who doesn't know if they did anything for RCA, but does know that they did some Philip Glass stuff.

Who spend time trying to comprehend the complexities of Der Zauberflaute when I could give the expanded OHMSS another spin?

Actually, trying to comprehend music is fun. :mrgreen: People often find challenges fun.

Miguel: No recording, but a radio broadcast of the concert (the Williams bit was the ESB suite). I have that as WAV files somewhere, but never got around to editing it. It was a good performance, but the others I have are better. :mrgreen: (What I'd really want from that concert is Aaron J. Kernis' New Era Dance, but for whatever reason, they didn't broadcast that. And it seems nobody recorded it for a CD release so far either).

Wow, I would love to hear that... Can I interest you in some sort of trade? I really don't mind if you haven't edit it.

E-mail me me if you wnat me to send you my Williams collection updated list

Miguel, wishing Marian may let him hear this :mrgreen: