Oscar for Star Wars Score

Jarbas

Does someone knows what exactly John Williams said (in the ceremony) when he received the Oscar for Star Wars?

I know he regards Close Encounters as one of your best scores, and I'm just curious concerning what he said in a day when he lost to himself. :mrgreen:

Jarbas

"Do or do not! There is no try!"

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing the Oscar Ceremony that year(the first I ever saw),and the probably first time I saw JW,but I can't remember for the life of me what he said.

K.M.

Hmmmm the 78 oscars???

Damn I was probably just being born when that happened.

I assume there must have been a thanks to George Lucas and quite possibly Spielberg as well in there.

Ya know, that would be a good extra on the original trilogy DVDS: Oscar acceptance speeches. Of course it would mostly be Ben Burtt ( :) ) and Dennis Muren, but it would be cool to hear what JW had to say.

The only Oscar speech I have ever seen is for "Schindler's List" where JW thanked Ken Wannberg, Boston Symphony, Itzhak Perlman and Steven Spielberg. So I doubt the "Star Wars" speech would be anything exciting. But it would still be a good thing to see.

Jeff -- who would like to see the other three Oscar speeches as well

I found this at http://www.oscarworld.net/oscarspeeches.asp , a great site by the way.

Here is the text of John's 1978 acceptance speech for the 1977 awards.

"Wow, Thank You, though I am not surprised that I won, except I expected it to be Close Encounters and not Star Wars.

Hey what do two frenchmen and a kitschy New York Jew have in common. Haha, all three of you are losers. LO-SERS. No, I'm just kidding. Well not really, I mean come on people, Marvin, your a nice guy and all but your score for the Spy Who Loved Me sucked, certainly the worst of all Bond Films. Seriously, Disco Bond music, yuk. And no offense Mr Delerue, and Maurice, but neither score that you guys wrote was worth the paper it was written on. What kind was it by the way, Charmin, or Northern. Either way flush it.

So now its time to thanks the people responsible. A big thanks has to go to Steven Spielberg, my good friend who told George Lucas that I was the only one to score his movie. Could you imagine Goldsmith doing it, would've sounded like Patton. Steven was right as usual. Thanks to George and Marsha Lucas, those divorce rumors arn't true by the way, are they? Thanks to all the others who think that they contributed to my work. And finally thanks again to Steven Spielberg, whose movie Close Encounters allowed me to write what is obviously, except to these academy voters, the best score of the year, and one of the best of all times. Thanks.

John could be heard as he walked off stage, Can you believe that, I won for Star Wars, that stupid little scifi shit film. Oh I know my score is good , made the movie watchable, but talk about overrated. sheesssh.

The above is a parody, anyone who might be insulted by such, shouldn't take anything to heart. IN otherwords its a joke. Its as if Don Rickles had given the speech for John.

Joe. :)

Actually I think John liked the original SW didn't he?

I imagine he probabl;y loathes the new SW films, but he seemed to have a passion for the originals.

"It's easier when you really enjoy the film you're scoring" - John Williams while scoring TESB

And he said ANH was a good film, but he was being vague and I'm not sure how good he thinks it is, he seemed to suggest pretty darn good.

"It's easier when you really enjoy the film you're scoring" - John Williams while scoring TESB

And he said ANH was a good film, but he was being vague and I'm not sure how good he thinks it is, he seemed to suggest pretty darn good.

I'd like to hear him go off the record on his opinions of the SW Prequels after 2005 when they are done. I'll bet he'd have some very interesting things to say.