Anymore video game music from Williams?

I just recently found out that John did renditions of theme songs from Super Mario Bros. and Zelda. Has he done any other renditions of video game music?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recently found out that John did renditions of theme songs from Super Mario Bros. and Zelda. Has he done any other renditions of video game music?

Mr. Williams never did any video game music. Trust me.

Neil

This is Johnmusic here...for some reason my account is not permitting me. Whatever...I'll just have to be the masked Guest for a while. Williams did NOT record those. I assume you found these recordings on a music sharing program. The lists also state that Williams wrote Robin Hood as well as The Rocketeer. We all know that he didn't. The recordings of the video game music was actually done by an orchestra in japan. Sorry. It would be a great concert with Williams though wouldn't it?!!! Talk to you later!

With the Boston Simphony Orchestra, Williams recorded both Super Mario Bros and Zelda themes.

Look, the first thing you'll have to completely obliterate from your mind is, to ignore all filenames/descriptions off music-sharing files. Secondly, this means actually starting to *buy* Williams' musical compositions, which will make your knowledge of his music expand to the point where you would know about his history of recording, and that he never, ever recorded those two above things. :?

With the Boston Simphony Orchestra, Williams recorded both Super Mario Bros and Zelda themes. He didn't compose them (we all know that), but this doesn't mean he didn't conducted them...

Sorry for my English...

He did none of this.

Sorry buddy but you are misinformed.

Johnny has not composed, recorded or even ever performed even a single note of video game music.

Mr. Williams never did any video ame music.  Trust me.

Neil

He did the Dr. Know music in A.I.,which is quite funny when you listen to it ripped from the dvd.It,s sort of a video game

K.M.

Unless it was FOR a video game it is NOT video game.

I cannot imagine JW scoring a video game. He would probably find that completely beneath him.

I can understand him not wanting to do it, but finding it beneath him would be a shame....like classical music finding film scores beneath them.

Bruce Broughton has written a video game score by the way. And a good one too. :)

Well you must admit a video game is rather below a film score, just like tv music, not in terms of art.... but scope and variety. Besides, it's usually bad.

There are fewer good/great video scores than there are film scores, but I blame the business for that. I think video games have just as much musical potential as movies. Their problem is that their non-linearity makes it hard to create albums, and I agree that they're required to have more atmospheric underscore than movies - but on the other hand, the non-linearity is also an opportunity a few composers have embraced to go into new directions.

Linearity is what music is all about, after all. Isn't the way music works mostly about what comes after the current note. I suppose these game scores could still have some method of consistancy. I mean.... film scores and other music types have a linear structure.

Well I mean game scores are not only limited by the fact that they have a rather non-musical structure but they seem to lack scope and variety. Because instead of a flowing piece of glue that holds a whole film together it become more like a very specific piece of patch up tape that you stick where needed, I'm not sure if that would result in music as dynamic as a film score.

Well you must admit a video game is rather below a film score, just like tv music, not in terms of art.... but scope and variety. Besides, it's usually bad.

I suppose you've heard LucasArts' Grim Fandango (Peter McConnell) and Monkey Island (Michael Land) music?

I was rather Preoccupied and didn't look at the site that closely, but I listened now and that is good music, but I hope the whole score isn't like source music. :mrgreen:

I suppose you've heard LucasArts' Grim Fandango (Peter McConnell) and Monkey Island (Michael Land) music?

Well I will admit this is good music. However, a film composer would still think this was beneath him

Why? It plays like a film noir score. There's more underscore than in a film, obviously, but there's nothing wrong with the highlights at all.

And no, it's not all source music, though there are a few source cues - which is nice, because it means they actually incorporated some music into the plot, like Glottis becoming the bar pianist. :)

Marian - who wants the score CD.

Why? It plays like a film noir score. There's more underscore than in a film, obviously, but there's nothing wrong with the highlights at all.

And no, it's not all source music, though there are a few source cues - which is nice, because it means they actually incorporated some music into the plot, like Glottis becoming the bar pianist. :)

Marian - who wants the score CD.

hehe, Glottis for president :)

There should be a sequel or something. But that's obviously impossible. So there should be a movie instead. But that wouldn't do it justice. Dammit, such great characters and no way to re-use them.

Marian - who think the ending matches those of some of the greatest movie classics.

There should be a sequel or something. But that's obviously impossible. So there should be a movie instead. But that wouldn't do it justice. Dammit, such great characters and no way to re-use them.

Marian - who think the ending matches those of some of the greatest movie classics.

No! What they should do is do another game based in the same universe, but with different characters. They could use different film noire films for inspiration! Like maybe Double Indemnity of Maltese Falcon.

No! What they should do is do another game based in the same universe, but with different characters. They could use different film noire films for inspiration! Like maybe Double Indemnity of Maltese Falcon.

LucasArts' has always found ways of re-using characters: e.g. "Why not make a Rebel spy/agent a Jedi Knight?" I'm referring to Kyle Katarn who became a Jedi the second he found that lightsaber in his dads workshop :roll:

Hey but Jedi Knight was still a AWESOME game despite the somewhat lackluster storyline.

Oh and Kyle gave a better performance in that game than Haydan Christensen did in Episode II.

Hey but Jedi Knight was still a AWESOME game despite the somewhat lackluster storyline.

Yeah, I agree. Jedi Knight 2 is even better!

Oh and Kyle gave a better performance in that game than Haydan Christensen did in Episode II.

lol, can't argue with that.