Johnny playing piano under Goldsmith?

MattC

Hi guys!

Im taking a course at University on one of my favorite subjects....Film music. Great proff, but anyway, I read in our manual about how John began as a piano player for Comunbia and Fox orchestra's in the mid-50's and worked under Jerry Goldsmith. Is this true? I just find that pretty ironic. Does anyone know what score they colaberated on together?

my first post...after being a guest/gost for the longest time! :)

MattC

Actually, this is true... There is a CD available through Varese/Sarabande called "Studs Lonigan" which features a fun score composed by Jerry Goldsmith and piano solos John Williams... If only for historicl perspective, it is a good listen.

Williams also played piano on Goldsmith's City of Fear. And on many more film scores:

Funny Face (1957); music by George Gershwin, musical dírection by Adolph Deutsch;

Bell, Book and Candle (1958); George Duning;

South Pacific (1958), music by Richard Rodgers, musicla direction by Alfred Newman;

Porgy and Bess (1959), musical direction by André Previn, music by George Gershwin;

Some Like It Hot (1959), Adolph Deutsch;

Peter Gunn (1959, tv series), Henry Mancini;

Johnny Stacatto (1959, tv series), Elmer Bernstein;

City of Fear (1959), Jerry Goldsmith;

The Apartment (1960), Adolph Deutsch;

Studs Lonigan (1960), Jerry Goldsmith;

West Side Story (1961), musical direction by Johnny Green, music by Leonard Bernstein;

Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man (1962), Franz Waxman

And there are more, I don't know about...

Johnny Stacatto (1959, tv series),  Elmer Bernstein

Matt,

As well as this one that Miguel has mentioned, Williams also played piano on some of Elmer Bernstein's best known scores, including Sweet Smell of Success, To Kill A Mockingbird and even The Magnificent Seven.

Johnny mentioned these three on a recent TV tribute to Elmer Bernstein, but there are probably many more.

Damien :)

I wonder which future film composer,that has worked, is working or will be working with John Williams, will emerge.

I think chances are pretty high that someone, who will become famous is benefitting from working with John Williams right now.

Likely we will hear interviews, where they talk in awe about the glory days, when Williams was still scoring :) / ;) ...

I dunno, I don't think it's that comman for a film composer to come out of a studio orchestra. :devil:

Williams is an amazing pianist, he has a fantastic touch. If he wasn't such a brilliant composer I'm sure he would have become a highly respected jazz pianist.

Any film composer who had Johnny play in his soundtrack is very lucky.

I dunno, I don't think it's that comman for a film composer to come out of a studio orchestra.  :devil:

But there were a few, I believe... Previn also begun as a pianist. Goldsmith didn't, but worked before as a copyist, I think.

Some times there isn't any paino playing one can hear on this soundtracks... That's the case in Porgy and Bess. After may carefull listenings, I was able to get e glinplse of the orchestrta piano in one track. Many time is only part of the orchestral texture, and is not doing anything trtuly remarkeble, like on Studs Lonigan or in Peter Gunn.