Chat With Williams from 1999?

Elmo Lewis

You guys, I found this document in the dark corners of my collection of "miscelaneous junk" CDs. It is a chat/interview with John Williams from may 6, 1999 (youi know, the days of The Phantom Menace).

Now, is it true that Williams lends himself to chats? The answers certainly sound a lot like him, but he also says he was dinosaur about computers, so it shocks me.

I'll post some of my favorite questions and answers:

This one is for the Laura thread that was opened some weeks ago . . . .

AskLucasfilm: R2-copeland says: Is there a movie you wish you could have scored yourself? (Which doesn't necessarily mean you dislike the existing score.)

JohnWilliams: I would have loved to have scored "Laura" because I love the music. It's an example where the melody and theme really permeate the characters. I should also say that David Raksin did a superb job on the 1944 film. So many films would have been great subjects for music. I would have loved also writing for "The African Queen," and films of David Lean. Maurice Jarre produced wonderful scores for David Lean's films, and they are examples of sweepingly romantic and grandly lyrical films that lend to gestures that I particularly like.

This one is my favorite . . . .

AskLucasfilm: Jedi-Michael says: Mr. Williams, my question is: Is there a Biography available with pictures and your music experiences when you were younger? What is your advice for people who want to compose film music? Thank you for all the awesome music! You are the greatest!!

JohnWilliams: Very Nice! There is not a biography of me, I never thought my life was interesting enough. Apart from family pictures, there isn't much record of my early life. I can only counsel by saying that success in any of these fields takes a long time; it took a long time for me. The application of work gets us where to go, but the hard work has to be sustained at the most difficult times, and you have to try even harder. This kind of tenacity will get those of us who are not geniuses, but mere mortals, over the finish line.

And this one gives us some insight about the guy, but it's nothing new. . .

AskLucasfilm: Darth-M says: What got you into scoring for films and what's more interesting to you...film scoring or writing for orchestra alone?

JohnWilliams: I came to the film world as a pianist, and played in orchestras for other conductors. As a result of being a member of orchestras recording for films, I became interested in the process. I hadn't planned this when I was younger, but I took that opportunity very happily and quickly. I have to say that writing for film or the concert hall, both are enormously interesting. It would be difficult to say I prefer one to the other. When one writes for film, the inspiration comes from the atmosphere of the film, the dialogue, the characters, that inspire music : It's not easier to do than concert music, but there is a lot of joy and pleasure composing for films because the films themselves can be inspirational. In the case of concert music, that's also joyful to do, by contrast, the composer is free of the constraints of film. You can make the length what you like. I find both very rewarding, and the pursuit of one provides nourishment to the other, and a balanced life, and the chance to do both makes me very, very grateful.

Same applies here . . . .

AskLucasfilm: Jedi-Jorus says: How many times do you feel it is necessary to view the film (or any film) before you can score it?

JohnWilliams: I should see it as many times as I can, I think. What usually happens in the post-production process of a film like "Phantom Menace" the producer gives me a rough duplicate copy of the film and I can view it every day, the scenes I am working on, watching them dozens of times. I have seen "Phantom Menace" maybe 50 times then, and know it extremely well, and in this way, can feel I have got it reasonably right. I've just begun the score for "Angela's Ashes," which is Frank McCourt's great book come to film. It is directed by Alan Parker, and it is the first time he and I have worked together. He's done a beautiful job on the film, and I will record it most likely this summer, and film will be out in the fall of this year. Fans of the book, I think, will adore this film, and I know there are many.

And this one is cool:

AskLucasfilm: Jedi-Gilbuzzy says: Do you think your music reflects your own personality and views on things?

JohnWilliams: That's a good question, and a difficult one. It requires a subjective response that might not be accurate. People who know me well might be able to answer it better. Whatever we write, in prose or poetry, there is some individual identity that goes with the work; it's inescapable. We're still at the core what we have always been. Everything we do reflects our character, background, training, and what we write manifests these things.

What do you say? Is this really John Williams? Did he really chatted with his fans? More importantly, how can we convince him to do it again? :devil:

BTW, anybody knew about this transcript? (maybe the question would work better in the negative form). For those who hadn't read it, tell me if you want me to post the complete interview. ;)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen this before, although i do not remember were.

As far as I know it's real.

I'm sure Ricard or Miguel can give you more exact details.

Stefancos- Wondering what Williams thought of the expierence of chatting with his fans.

BTW, anybody knew about this transcript? (maybe the question would work better in the negative form)

Actually I was the first person who made the transcript available online, a couple of hours after it took place (I had to type it myself, word by word), and 24 hours before the official transcript was posted :devil:

Here's the page containing the transcript that was available on the old server:

http://jwfan.net/jwfan-old/starwars/episod...illiamschat.htm

;)

Stefancos- Wondering what Williams thought of the expierence of chatting with his fans.

Wouldn't it be so incredibly cool if he posted here from time to time and give us advance thoughts on scores he planned to write,or even asked us what we think?

k.M.

I remember this chat perfectly, because I was there to chat :fouetaa:

Unfortunately, all my questions weren't picked up by those who chose what was to be asked.

PBL

Heeyy!!! I remember that!!!! I wasn't there, but read it the day after, I think.

:devil: Bock Selections from Fiddler on the Roof (orch. Williams)

Max Hobart, violin

The Boston Pops Orchestra

John Williams

I would love to have John Williams stop by here once a month , not even to chat (even though it would be nice) at least to post a hello.

I would not like that at all.

Imagine he would know about all the crap his geatest fans post on an MD carying his name.

He'd consider his carreer a failure and retire.

Stefancos- who doesn not want JW to read any of his angry posts.