Favorite Musical Sequence in LOTR Scores

Incanus

This might have been discussed here previously but what is your favorite musical moment or scene in the whole LOTr trilogy?

For me there are numerous but if I had to pick one that would have to be the Mount Doom/Black Gate sequence as a whole. The height of the drama is so perfectly captured in the music and all themes are coming together for one grand finale. It is simply spine tigngling moment when the Ring is destroyed and the Dark Tower falls and the Destruction of the Ring/Fulfillment of the Quest theme plays along with the Return of the King theme. The choir is just amazing there as it grows to a magnificent heights and the scene ends as the Mount Doom explodes mirrored in the music by the cymbal crashes. Shore delivers a satifying and emotional ending for the Ring Quest.

If allowed to name more than one favorite musical moments the Prologue of FOTR comes to mind. The first time I saw the movie it made such an impact when I heard Galadriel's words and the History of the Ring theme played over the title. It is still a spine tingling moment every time. For me the movie could not be bad after that. And it was even better than I hoped it would be. the rest of the Prologue establishes themes and lays ground work for the rest of the score in the best possible way.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Eagles are coming...maybe they'll acctually WIN the SuperBowl this year instead of get everybody's hopes up for nothing! 8O

Justin - Trying to make this thread interesting for Neil.

Go Mordor Go!!! I hope Sauron finally wins the Rohan Horse Rugby Cup this year. He hasn't done all that well these past few years in any of the major Sporting events. First his good luck Ring went missing just before the great game and that's why some snot nosed whelp of a Ranger came and stole his victory at the Siege of Gondor National semifinals. How embarrasing. I think Aragorns team was doped quite heavily. They all glowed kind of sickly green. Sauron being a superstitious Maia had lost all hope of victory without the Ring. Witchking of Angmar, the coach of the Mordor team at the Siege semifinal had done all he could but the Rohan Rugby team had come to aid the Gondor team just in time (the referees are still arguing is that allowed). The semifinals went downhill from there.

Then after that Siege semifinals some hobbit (can you believe that, They are the worst athletes around) won the title of Survivors Mordor right under Sauron's nose as if the Dark Lord could not handle the climate of his native land. Sauron was voted out at the last tribal meeting since the two hobbits and Gollum all teamed up against the Lord of the Black Land(one of the three had immunity). Apparently the hobbit called Frodo(with the help of the thieving Gollum) had stolen the good luck Ring in the first place to humiliate Dark Lord as Mordorim had beat the Shire polevaulting team by a mile(those Ringwraiths sure can fly). The hobbits even melted the Ring at the final tribal cousil at Sammath Naur. HOW'S THAT FOR HUMILIATION! I swear Sauron was fuming the last I saw him. It seemed he could just explode any minute.

As I said a disappointing year for Sauron.

So anyone? Favourite music and scene of the whole trilogy? The sporting events and teams distracted us from the thread (once again) :|

I think falcons and hawks are regal enough but I like the Eagle owl (the Horned owl) the best. Such wisened visage.

The Ride of the Rohirrim at the Pelennor Fields. The full version is awesome. Goosebumps every time.

I must say it is one of my favorites also. LOTR trilogy has so many great and memorable musical moments since the score is so intricately linked with the images. I probably concur with verybody about every cue they might mention :|

I think falcons and hawks are regal enough but I like the Eagle owl (the Horned owl) the best. Such wisened visage.

Bah, they are just HP couriers...

Luke, who thinks wild Eagle owls have a penetrating, evil stare.

Magnificent beasts anyway 8O My fav nocturn bird of prey ;)

I have never listed my favorite birds in any category. Eagles are at the top of my list with falcons and hawks. Eagle owl is the biggest owl species of the Northern Europe so it is n obligatory inclusion though I think it is a beautiful bird. You are right about the stare. They look annoyed don't they 8O

Hey nice looking falcon! It would be cool to have one to train.

Really? Here in Finland falcon training is kinda rare (I think) and falcons as pets even more rare. One animal I surely would welcome as a pet would a falcon 8O