Return Of The King Live To Projection Concert at Rotterdam - April 19-21 2013

Glad you enjoyed it Steef!

I wish they'd to this in a proper concert hall here. Plus the orchestra, chorus and soloists they're using here are probably the cheap way out. I was toying with the idea of going to Munich for their live screening last month, but in the end I was too lazy.

The best place to see ROTK live is still the KKL in Luzern, with the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra and Chorus (although I am rather biased).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimjware/4469072731/

The best place to see ROTK live is still the KKL in Luzern, with the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra and Chorus (although I am rather biased).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimjware/4469072731/

I don't doubt it.

What is the alternate version you speak of? Also, is there any music from the theatrical or extended films that's not on the OST, CR or rarity archives?

Yes.

The OST version of the Beacons cue has different orchestrations then the CR

Different chords, more importantly. I've never liked the chord resolution in the film version compared to the album cue.

The OST version of the Beacons cue has different orchestrations then the CR

Different chords, more importantly. I've never liked the chord resolution in the film version compared to the album cue.

Its funny, when looking for that cue, when I was still borrowing CD's from the library, I got hold of the ROTK OST, and was frustrated to not find the FV on it (that had been used in the LOTR: The Third Age game's menu), now I prefer the OST version ;)

I think the meat of the music is found on OSTs, CRs and the Rarities. Most of the other material is snippets from here and there with some significant moments from e.g. Theatrical version of some cues. I do not seem to remember any end-all list of this material anywhere though.

here is a short list:

Into The West (Acoustic Version)
Prologue (TE DVD Menu Version, I think its from the theatrical version)
Saruman The White (Potential Alternate - TE DVD credits menu)
The Nazgul (Film Version, extended version in TE 2nd Disc DVD menus)
The Road Goes Ever On Pt. 1 (NZSO)
Ugluk's Warriors (Theatrical Version)
Gandalf The White (Fan Club Credits Version)
The March of the Ents (Alternate from Documentary with Extra Horn Overlay)
The March of the Ents (Film Version Percussion)
Theoden Rides Forth (Fan Club Credits Version)
The Tales That Really Matter (Fellowship Theme Alternate From Documentary)

Then there are some missing bars from Khazad-Dum in the the previs

missing choir bits for the Prologue in the prologue storyboard

a percussive bit for Balin's Tomb in the Fan club credits

the theatrical versions of Concerning Hobbits, and
The Great River.

and a snipped out section of Shortcut to mushrooms with the Descending Third in a Brass "Fanfare" setting in the "Gandalf Rides To Isengard" Previs.

It's also worth noting that the live to projection performances of ROTK include cues that are not in any prior release of film or music (theatrical, extended, OST, CR). Some were recorded at the original sessions, some were not.

and a snipped out section of Shortcut to mushrooms with the Descending Third in a Brass "Fanfare" setting in the "Gandalf Rides To Isengard" Previs.

It's additional bars from the alternate that is (partially) on the OST.

It's also worth noting that the live to projection performances of ROTK include cues that are not in any prior release of film or music (theatrical, extended, OST, CR). Some were recorded at the original sessions, some were not.

Where are those?

Where are those?

In order:

The end of 'Journey to the Cross-roads' includes the usual stuff, but is synchronised differently

Legolas and Aragorn outside at Edoras at night (was recorded)

A little bit more music at Edoras before Gandalf mentions the 'Paths of the Dead'

Some additional bars in the middle of what was 'Twilight and Shadow' (some on the OST, not on the CR)

MASSIVE CHORUS as the Rohirrim leave Edoras (stunning, written for the original sessions but not recorded)

Some bits at the end of 'Shelob's Lair' - the live to projection version doesn't match the OST

There may be others - I will dig out my old notes!

A little bit more music at Edoras before Gandalf mentions the 'Paths of the Dead'

I wonder why these weren't restored for the CR?

I wonder why these weren't restored for the CR?

I guess Shore felt they did not help the listening experience, or would have not fit the CD (and created a an extra disc with only a few cues on it.

Also some unused bars put in an appearance, such as the contrapuntal treatment of all the ring themes at Mount Doom. I would not suggest getting worked up over any of the missing material - it's pretty inconsequential.

Hopefully things will start moving and this thing will happen at Radio City - it would be a tragedy not to complete the trilogy there!

It's the most notable thing and is deserving of the CAPITAL LETTERS used in a previous post. Had it been recorded at the original sessions, I would be getting worked up about it.

MASSIVE CHORUS as the Rohirrim leave Edoras (stunning, written for the original sessions but not recorded)

WWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAA????????????

And Cosman didn't even record that???

Who says he didnt?

(BTW what happened to calling the FBI?)