1990 JW Pops Concert on YouTube

Will

Not sure if people have seen this but I found it on YouTube:

Pretty cool. This honored JW's tenth year with the Pops. Music is interspersed with Spielberg interview clips. Highlights include the late Toots Thielman on harmonica for Sugarland Express and JW's dance moves at 27:20 or so during the 1941 March. New GIF? ;)

Also cool to see the Shark Cage Fugue conducted by JW.

Thanks! I think all John Williams/Boston Pops concerts should be on video. Why doesn't the programme begin with Williams' "Evening at Pops" theme? Was this only used for select episodes?

I believe that this video has been discussed around here before -- I surely know about it for quite some time! But it's great to have it brought to everyone's attention again.

And great catch with the Cook/Patinkin video... I think I only have part of that one.

As for the "Evening at Pops" theme, I'm not sure if in 1990 it was still in use. I know that by the early to mid 90's it was replaced by snippets of Williams own Sound the Bells and Shostakovich's Festive Overture.

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

As for the "Evening at Pops" theme, I'm not sure if in 1990 it was still in use. I know that by the early to mid 90's it was replaced by snippets of Williams own Sound the Bells and Shostakovich's Festive Overture.

Do you know WHEN it was composed? I only know that it was composed "some time in the 80s".

He wrote it for his first season as Pops conductor in 1980. By the late 80's/early 90's, snippets of the Shostakovich begun to be used. Sound the Bells started to be used in 1995, as Lockhart became Pops conductor.