Music by Franz Waxman

The Return Of A Man Called Horse: The Deluxe Edition

Music by Laurence Rosenthal

sadly no Williams........

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick Redman spoke about Monsignor recently. He has the original tapes, but can't seem to get the rights to release the album. He's trying though.

Neil

I personally would have preferred "The Great Train Robbery" over "Magic"!

Varese has got so many scores lying around that are just begging for a Deluxe Edition (how about Small Soldiers or MASADA!!!!), let's hope we'll get those some day.

Nevertheless, the people at Varese are still doing an incredible job with re-releases and first-releases, thanks a lot, guys, keep it up!!! :(

(how about Small Soldiers or MASADA!!!!)

Small Soldiers seems to me like to new a score.

As for Masada, i'm not at all sure they have the right to the original score as featured in the mini-series.

The current CD release is a re-recording. (and far superiour in soundquality and performance, i must say)

Stefancos- who has the Masada boot, but really prefers the Varese CD

Varese has some sort of deal with the AFM which allows them to pay a smaller amount of reuse fees for LA recorded scores which are under 25 years old. This deal allowed the release of Die Hard and other scores recorded with union orchestras.

(AFM - American Federation of Musicians)

This is not to diss it or anything, but seeing The Great Train Robbery again recently, I tried to listen for the score (Seeing Goldsmith's name), but didn't really notice anything special. Are there any parts that have particulaly good music, so that I could check it out (I have the VHS)?

Whenever I hear the title 'Great Train robbery' I always have this waltz in my head- Richard Rodney Bennet's Waltz for Murder on the Orient Express, so I can never rememeber Goldsmith's Main Titles.

I don't know why I mentioned it, just came to mind.

Personally, I hope they do Back To The Future Part III.

It's time the BttF scores get a proper release. Although I wonder how they would handle the first one, since the score doesn't start until Brown rolls the DeLorean out of his van. Maybe put the suite or "The Power of Love" in front of it.

- Marc, thinking it's really, really time they release the complete BttF scores...

I like the movie MAGIC with Anthony Hopkins and Burgess Meredith. But the movie was stolen by that ace actor Corky the dummy. What a professional. Have used him many many times at various functions hosted at Universal...ever so the gentledummy.

Hitch, who has Corky sitting on his knee at the moment and he is :music:

Actually Breathmask, the only reason I mention Part III is because Varese has the rights, while the rights to I & II belong to MCA. :music: However, with the release of the "Trilogy" CD rerecording by John Debney, does this mean that the rights to the others possibly belong to Varese now?

But you're right, they all need proper releases. BTTF II and III are missing about 17 minutes of music, and the score to the first was never released (a good bootleg exists, but is still missing music).

Although to be honest, I'm perfectly happy with my BTTF2 album. It is, IMO, the best produced OST. All the music in chronological order, unused music, no melded cues, all the main cues from the film, this album has it all. Alan Silvestri really knows how to produce a soundtrack. BTTF3 would be just as good if the cues weren't so badly out of order. :|

However, with the release of the "Trilogy" CD rerecording by John Debney, does this mean that the rights to the others possibly belong to Varese now?

If Varese had the rights to the original scores, they would not have re-recorded Back to the Future and Back to the Future Part II. Varese re-records scores they can't get the rights to, like Superman - The Movie and Jaws.

Neil

Part of the reason Varese re-recorded Jaws and Superman was due to the fact that at the time, the expanded, original soundtracks didn't seem like they would ever see the light of day.

... and a few months later, SUPERMAN and JAWS EXPANDED editions suddenly appeared. Very curious.

Anyway, for the guy who never remembers TRAIN ROBBERY Waltz, here's a trat: mix R.R.Bennet's with DENNIS THE MENACE main theme and maybe you'll get it. :mrgreen:

BTW, is that good the unreleased music from Chrichton's film ? When I put the CD on, I just hear the finale cue...