ClassicFM UK top 30

Classic FM top 30 movie scores list. :D

I escape to my car and listen to ClassicFM uk everyday during my 30 minute lunchbreak at work. Now and again they play a movie score request. I've wanted to phone in and request a Jerry piece for ages, because its always JW being played. But i think that it works by demand. If 5 callers ask for the same piece, then they'll play it. This gives "Hedwigs Theme" and "The flying car" constant play of course. But something like "The Mutant" by Jerry, or something from his ST Motion Picture score, never gets a playing as of yet. What i find most shocking of all, is that there is nothing by Jerry in this list at all. What is wrong with these peeeeople?.

The site itself says "You voted in your thousands and here are the results. Some surprises, all classics.". I think it has come from your casual film score listener really, and not those who branch out far and wide. It seems like the list you'd find in the local supermarket CD chart list. Hence, i find it not that representative as a whole. I did'nt vote on this btw. I dont even know when they did it. But i am highly suprised that something like Ben Hur is nowhere to be seen on it. And naturally, i am crying at seeing LOTR at top spot. C'mon people. What are you smoking?. Gladiator winning over E.T too?. Outraaaageous. I think the poll has been constructed from their request phone in's moreso. Because you hear Hedwigs theme or The Battle being played every other day. I've been lazy up to now. Now is the time to embark on my holy crusade and "enlighten" some of my fellow British natives to Jerrys work. It's terrible that there is nothing by him on there. I'll try and phone in during the next week for a request. :P

ClassicFM Top 30 scores.

1 Howard Shore: Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring

2 John Williams: Star Wars

3 John Williams: Schindler's List

4 John Williams: The Empire Strikes Back

5 Hans Zimmer: Gladiator

6 John Williams: ET

7 John Barry: Out of Africa

8 Maurice Jarre: Lawrence of Arabia

9 John Barry: Dances with Wolves

10 James Horner: Titanic

11 Maurice Jarre: Doctor Zhivago

12 John Williams: Raiders of the Lost Ark

13 Ennio Morricone: The Mission

14 John Williams: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

15 Elmer Bernstein: The Magnificent Seven

16 John Williams: Saving Private Ryan

17 John Williams: Jurassic Park

18 Brief Encounter - Rachmaninov Piano Concerto no.2

19 2001: A Space Odyssey - Richard Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra

20 William Walton: Henry V

21 James Horner: Braveheart

22 Michael Nyman: The Piano

23 Vangelis: Chariots of Fire

24 Jerome Moross: Big Country

25 John Williams: Superman

26 Vangelis: Blade Runner

27 Max Steiner: Gone with the Wind

28 John Barry: The Lion in Winter

29 Gabriel Yared: The English Patient

30 James Horner: The Mask of Zorro

Here is the original link :

http://www.classicfm.com/page.cfm?station=...p30movies&g=939

They have a link to a Williams interview, and a Shore interview.

But at the moment they dont seem to be working i've discovered.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, wasn't Gladiator the number 1 score the last time they did this poll? How could that have dropped so much??? Isn't it a "great score"? Nice to see that Star Wars hasn't lost any of its popularity. Could that whole Gladiator thing just be a fad?

Neil

Gee, wasn't Gladiator the number 1 score the last time they did this poll? How could that have dropped so much??? Isn't it a "great score"? Nice to see that Star Wars hasn't lost any of its popularity. Could that whole Gladiator thing just be a fad?  

It's still better than E.T.

According to these people at least. :D

Justin -Who likes Gladiator and all but wouldn't put it in the top 20 probably.

It just find it perplexes me more than anything Justin. I suspect that when they say "1000's of you voted" it may of come from a tally of phone in requests. I dont know. Or maybe it was an actall poll?. I suppose we'll always find polls highly shocking. I always do anyway. Certainly LOTR on there as No.1. It may of come from CD sales. If that is the case, then such polls are always silly. But what "does" utterly shock and perplex me is that there is nothing from Mr Goldsmith in there. Very suprising indeed considering his vast body of work through the years.

10 years from now the number one score will be whatever happens to be popular. Star Wars will probably always be in the top 5. Why? Because it truly is a great score, and not just a flash in the pan.

Neil

It's a nice station sometimes. But you know what really pisses me off Jim?.."Playing games with life" (sorry, i was thinking of a film then). It's all the commercial side on the station in the last 2 years or so. If i hear "That was another ingenious classic with the new Nokia 6100" one more BLOODY time, i'll lose my temper. What has a mobile phone got to do with Haydn's symphony?. That phone did'nt write it, so how they can claim it was an ingenious classic with the Nokia 6100?. Absolutely nothing. In recent years the companies have got hold of ClassicFm and stick all kinds of financial adverts on it with some whinging woman crying about her debts, followed by a happy salesman offering advice etc. This is NOT what i listened to ClassicFM for in the past. It used to be a relaxing break from all that nonsense. Now it follows you into the classics. I often find myself putting on one of my classical tapes in the car instead. At least on Radio4 , you'll get classical music and even full symphonies that just carry on one after another after another without any of this commerical rubbish being blasted in your ears. Sorry ClassicFM, but you may soon lose a listener due to the above complaints. The end is nigh indeedy deedy for ClassicFM.

"That was another simply ingenious complaint against ClassicFm with the new Nokia 6100"

I remember listening to the programme last year when they counted down the Top 30 and I must say that I was surprised by some of the entries - and many of the omissions.

I had read that if a film score isn't orchestral and doesn't sound "classically classical" it doesn't stand much chance of being played and hence being voted for. I would imagine that it is the producers of Classic FM who initially decide what will be played. Then the Classic FM listeners will have a limited choice when it comes to voting for the Top 30.

If anyone listens to Simon Bates on a Saturday afternoon/evening (Classic FM at the Movies) I sometimes dispair at the choice he makes for certain scores. He still plays a classical piece that appeared in a movie as part of the soundtrack score (Barber's Adagio for strings is a good example). Sometimes I wish I could put together a 3-hour show highlighting the best in movie music (in my opinion).

The Baby from Falkirk. Yipeeeee :)

I had read that if a film score isn't orchestral and doesn't sound "classically  

classical" it doesn't stand much chance of being played and hence being voted for.

How on earth did Gladiator make it that high on the list then?. The Battle was played the other day.

It would also ends the chances of my beloved "Mutant" being played because it begins very synth.

Then the Classic FM listeners will have a limited choice when it comes to voting for the Top 30.

I reckon that could be true. As i say, it looks like the type of top 10 CD chart in Woolworths.

He still plays a classical piece that appeared in a movie as part of the soundtrack score (Barber's Adagio for strings is a good example).

Used in Platoon was'nt it?. Highly overplayed in that movie too.

Sometimes I wish I could put together a 3-hour show highlighting the best in movie music

Sometimes i wish i could hijack ClassicFm and turn it back to a proper classical station.

Jerome Moross: Big Country

How did this get on the list, sure it's great and all, but it's rather obscure.

Isn't this list a bit old, I saw this list quite a while back and immediatley dismissed it as irrelevant then.

Isn't this list a bit old,  I saw this list quite a while back and immediatley dismissed it as irrelevant then.

Yes, this list is certainly at least six months old

I think that they tried to put across the list as being the "best soundtrack" list - since it was their listeners who voted for them (I classify myself as a listener, sometimes). However, as with all these types of lists, it is only a list of a certain population's favourites; best tunes.

(Not that should not be ignored as isn't a definitive best list (where best is a measure of how, as a whole, the score is) just a favourite list of so-called experts?)

In that respect, Woolies Top 10 list is just as informative.