The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Haha I laughed at that too

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga remake coming to 3DS

Wow Nintendo is really sending the 3DS out with a bang

"Developer Diary" video from the director of Super Mario Odyssey.  Their "no bad ideas" approach to designing Mario is very cool.  It shows in the imaginative variety of visual and gameplay mechanics.

I love how they seem to have taken inspiration from Banjo-Kazooie, where grabbing the main collectible (jiggies in B-K, moons in Odyssey) is just part of exploring the level and you keeping playing after getting one.  It's a big departure from the 64-Sunshine-Galaxy approach of taking you out of the level between stars.

Oh! And here's one for Metroid: Samus Returns

The treehouse footage of them playing those two games while talking with the developers is good too

It's cool how they're reaching into Mario's past from all over the place for details in the new game

mXSGL5o.jpg

Could end of being Game of the Year on many lists if  Zelda launched last Christmas on Wii U only as intended

Watching a demo of Splatoon 2 single-player on Treehouse Live right now.  This looks really fun, can't wait to get it next month.

Sidenote,  I watched the live chat on the Youtube Treehouse stream for about 30 seconds and it was like staring directly into the Untempered Schism.

Quite odd how this has turned into the Nintendo YouTube videos thread. I've generally watched game trailers for stuff I'm interested in long before I arrive here. 

11 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I'll add my name to the "excited for Spider-Man game" pile, though I hope the non-mission gameplay is more open and less quick-time-event oriented (I'm sure it will be). 

I got the first Injustice game on the PC for 5$.  It's a lot of fun,like Mortal Kombat X but a bit more accessible.  

The Spider-man game looks very cool.  I only play 1-3 PS4 games a year, that will definitely be one of them next year.

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Quite odd how this has turned into the Nintendo YouTube videos thread. I've generally watched game trailers for stuff I'm interested in long before I arrive here. 

There's a difference between trailers and gameplay demos.  I've posted a couple of videos of gameplay demos for games I'm interested in that others might be too.  Obviously, Jay is the main other person around here who's as big a Nintendo fan as I am but you never know!  There might be others!

Basically, this isn't a thread just for you.

Theres a difference between trailers and gameplay videos? Gee, I didn't know that, thanks. 

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Basically, this isn't a thread just for you.

Actually, it is. 

39 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Theres a difference between trailers and gameplay videos? Gee, I didn't know that, thanks. 

Actually, it is. 

Wow, what a dick post.  Someone shit in your cereal this morning?

I deeply apologize for posting another Nintendo video, but hey!  This time it's a cool design analysis, not a trailer or demo.

This is really good analysis of the level design of the brilliant and underrated Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U.  Underrated even among Nintendo fanboiz!  IMO, it's probably the best game in the series (or at least tied with the old DKC2).  It's also balls hard.  The Dark Souls of 2d platformers ;) 

This guy's videos are all pretty good, check out his channel.

Thinking about picking up Super Metroid to play through either before or after the Metroid 2 remake, I think the emulator on my 3DS plays the SNES rom perfectly though, not sure...

Huh, the sale must be over already; I thought it said it ended at 11:59PM EST, but it must have said 11:59AM EST

No, it was 3DS and Wii U games only

On 6/24/2017 at 0:58 PM, Jay said:

This is pretty funny:

Again with the uninformed opinion that all motion controls are gimmicky.

There are good motion controls and there are gimmicky motion controls.  To argue otherwise you're either (a) ignorant or (b) very concerned with seeming cool/jaded.

The motion controls in Breath of the Wild and Splatoon are perfect.  Admittedly, I haven't played Arms yet so I can't say in that case, but I do know that they're optional in all three of these games.  So I think it's a little disingenuous to insinuate that Nintendo's still "all in" on gimmicky motion controls.

I mean their videos generally, even for movies I didn't like.  Not funny.

Anyway, I spend approximately 5-10% of my leisure time on videogames so I'm not sure I qualify to be called a fanboy.  Sure, I pretty much only play Nintendo games for that 5-10% but on average I play games for less than 2 hours a week over a year.  Just with spikes when a big game comes out.  I'm a casual gamer.

Yea if you've tried several Honest Trailers in the past and they aren't your cup of tea, nothing they ever do will change that

Honest Trailers are shit.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I mean their videos generally, even for movies I didn't like.  Not funny.

Anyway, I spend approximately 5-10% of my leisure time on videogames so I'm not sure I qualify to be called a fanboy.  Sure, I pretty much only play Nintendo games for that 5-10% but on average I play games for less than 2 hours a week over a year.  Just with spikes when a big game comes out.  I'm a casual gamer.

Christ, I was only joking. 

I think the SNES Classic has a wider appeal (like the NES Classic would have if they made enough).

You get the millions and millions of people who loved Mario World and Street Fighter when they were in elementary school but didn't keep playing games as they grew up.

SNES wasn't as big a deal in the UK was it?  I've always been under the impression that the Mega Drive/Genesis was more popular there.

The list of games:

The SNES Classic Edition includes:

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • EarthBound
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-ZERO
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past
  • Mega Man X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Yoshi’s Island

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/06/26/nintendo-reveals-snes-classic.aspx?utm_content=buffer2e901&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Pretty nifty was to release the almost-finished-but-then-never-came-out Starfox 2 after all these years

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

I know. I was just trying to have Stu acknowledge that game, superior in every way to Street Fighter, the shitty example he used.

Both games are great

WpK230H.jpg

That's a lot of the greatest video games ever made all in one package right there

Criminally missing are Final Fantasy II (IV) and Chrono Trigger, though.  And the DKC sequels

38 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think the SNES Classic has a wider appeal (like the NES Classic would have if they made enough).

You get the millions and millions of people who loved Mario World and Street Fighter when they were in elementary school but didn't keep playing games as they grew up.

SNES wasn't as big a deal in the UK was it?  I've always been under the impression that the Mega Drive/Genesis was more popular there.

The SNES was a very big deal here. I swapped my Amiga 500 for one with my next door neighbour in 1993. The same day I walked to the local shops and paid £65 for a copy of Super Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting 

Out of sheer coincidence, I actually installed Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Super Tetris 2 + Bombliss on my PC last night using Snes9x emulator. I had a feeling my kids would like the former. 

Just now, Quintus said:

Zombies Ate My Neighbor's 

Great game!  Still one of the most fun co-op games I've ever played.  My brother and I used to rent it a lot.

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

WpK230H.jpg

That's a lot of the greatest video games ever made all in one package right there

It certainly is, but I wouldn't want to revisit any of them for more than a couple of minutes each. Whenever I've messed around with older games via emulators, the fond nostalgia factor is the main motivation, and it wears off pretty quickly. I'd just rather play new things.