Can you recommend me a high-end MP3-player/portable DAC?

2 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Dude, the Apple dongle is a legitimate DAC. I'm sensing you might be a bit confused, since DAC (Digital-to-analog converter) and DAP (Digital Audio Player) are two different (though related) things. Google the former, and you'll see a lot of similar looking devices.

I know the difference between DAC and DAP - and I need a DAP, because of the superior DAC in it and because of the possibility to store hundreds of GBs of music.

2 hours ago, HunterTech said:

With how much these devices can cost, a quick cheap Android phone with a micro SD card slot and a USB-C port really ought to save some serious cash.

I already have a smartphone and buying another one that organizes music equally poorly would be a waste of money. As it shows, there are, or at least were some affordable mp3-players from fiiO that are sold out now. As you can see, I'm quite determined about what kind of device I want. I'm merely asking for a concrete device. Your help is appreciated, btw.:)

3 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Doesn't help that they discontinue their devices so often, so you would need to be super quick in getting a unit.

I guess, you wanted to say "services"? Oh man, that's too bad.:(

Except chances are, the DAC in a DAP won't be much better than the one in the Apple dongle (if at all). There's definitely plenty of discussion out there pointing towards it being very strong and versatile for the money. You just would need a specific app on Android if you ever plan on getting one. Does your phone not have a micro SD card slot at all?

And yes, I meant devices. I own the FiiO X1, which has stopped production long ago. Even the second generation of it is no longer available. FiiO as a company really can't seem to settle on specific sets much at any point in time, since there's so many DAPs they've released that were out for a bit before they discontinue them. And the QC on some of them could be very hit or miss, as my X1 started giving off noise after a good while of being used. It's definitely a gamble for something that is only becoming more niche overtime, as it would've been easier to find this stuff years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2022 at 10:34 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

FiiO M3K is still available, cheap, and can store 2TB.

Thank you a lot for drawing my attention to this device. I don't know how it escaped my radar, but it's exactly what I needed: A minimalistic player that can literally nothing except storing and playing music. I have neither bluetooth, nor internet or whatever else on this device - nothing which I would have had to pay extra money for, although I didn't need it. It is basically just a portable DAC with a display that you can equip with a micro SD card. Wonderful!