6 months and... 0 CDs

scissorhands

If last year was a really good John Williams year, this 2003 is going to become one of the worst.

6 months, half year is already over. And how many Williams CDs were released? None. (well, 2 "new" CDs from Silva, but nothing previously unreleased and some of the material was recorded years before).

Last year we could enjoy:

-American Journey

-Yo-Yo Ma play the music of John Williams

-E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 20th anniversary edition

-20th Century Concerti

-Essay for Strings, Trumpet Concerto

-The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing

-Star Wars. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

-Minority Report

-The Fury: the Deluxe Edition

And this was just in the first half of the year.

And next:

-Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

-Home Alone 2: deluxe edition

-Catch Me If You Can

So... what's happening this year? No new CD so far. I know, John Williams is not scoring any film currently, but what about re-issues (Spacecamp?), or some Expanded Editions (Monsignor?), or any concerto recording or a new Cinema Serenade, or 3rd Spielberg/Williams collaboration.

It's a good time to complete your collection, getting old scores, etc. But there are still too much unreleased scores (Family Plot, Sugarland Express) that deserve deluxe editions.

And the rest of the year doesn't look well either: i don't think Indy expanded scores will be released with the DVD, and who knows if the Disney Hall opening piece will be recorded for CD.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams seems to take a year off from film scoring every decade or so... 1985, 1994, and now seemingly 2003. Shall we expect another dry year in 2012?

How quickly everyone forgets that John is 71 this year. And yes, there was alot of releases last year, I think we do need to remember that he is not sweet 16. Plus, I think we can all agree that he is one for quality not quantity when it comes to projects on which he works, so we must give him the chance to breath.

Matt

Who wonder's what he will do at the age of 71.... ;)

How quickly everyone forgets that John is 71 this year. And yes, there was alot of releases last year, I think we do need to remember that he is not sweet 16. Plus, I think we can all agree that he is one for quality not quantity when it comes to projects on which he works, so we must give him the chance to breath.

Matt

Who wonder's what he will do at the age of 71.... ;)

I totally agree with you, Matt.

I think he more than DESERVES a period off of composing music. He's not 20 anymore, worked TOO hard lately too and it willy-nilly affects his output no matter how hard he tries. Permit him a revitalizing break, please. It seems like you cannot exist without his new/re-released stuff hurtling in a couple times each year. I think he has done a lot of fine music in the past to enjoy timelessly. Or you think otherwise? What will you do the day after JW's retired? Turn unto some another active scorer?

I don't get it. Really. ;)

Roman.-(

I do think about it a lot. That way I don't forget to appreciate every new piece I hear. Whether good or bad, the truly inspiring charm is that he keeps trying.

a)John Williams, despite his age, still continues working hard (though nobody seems to know what he is currently working on!)

B)I don't think he composed The Fury and Home Alone 2 last year ;)

I mean, every year, some expanded edition of some score is released. And those don't need Williams' help.

So 2003 is a drought year for both reasons.

Nope.

Williams has exhausted what can be done in a film. He should only write for Spielberg and the remaining Star Wars film and an animated feature, and a musical perhaps. His legacy of concert music should be greater than what it is today. Film music will never be fully performed more. Write more stuff that will be on programs of symphonic repertoire, and not only "Star Wars" on summer or specialty concerts.

;) Tuba Concerto (John Williams)

woo-hoo!!! My 1600th post :ola:;);) beerchug

Nope.

Williams has exhausted what can be done in a film. He should only write for Spielberg and the remaining Star Wars film and an animated feature, and a musical perhaps. His legacy of concert music should be greater than what it is today. Film music will never be fully performed more. Write more stuff that will be on programs of symphonic repertoire, and not only "Star Wars" on summer concerts.

John Williams has certainly not exhausted what can be done in a film score, as evidenced by A.I., Minority Report, and A.I. I am most anticipating 'Terminal' and 'Walter Mitty'.

Who are you to tell anybody what John Williams should and should not write for?

Who are you to tell anybody what John Williams should and should not write for?

i'm not anyone to say what he should do... just a thought, sir (ma'am)

(mofo)trucker

Hector - who thinks... (edited)

ROTFLMAO American Collection Theme (John Williams; Yo-Yo Ma, cello)

He should only write for Spielberg and the remaining Star Wars film and an animated feature, and a musical perhaps.  

This sounds very much like saying what he should write, or for better reference:

Write more stuff that will be on programs of symphonic repertoire, and not only "Star Wars" on summer concerts

And also:

just a thought, sir (ma'am)  

(mofo) Mothua fucker

Good one, Hector, you're so stupid you called me a mofo and then put the actual phrase in hidden text (spelt it wrong, as well)

How old are you, ten, twelve? banghead :flush::fouetaa: :micro: ROTFLMAO:pukeface:

Sorry, I couldn't find one icon to express my disgust.

Quote:  

He should only write for Spielberg and the remaining Star Wars film and an animated feature, and a musical perhaps.  

This sounds very much like saying what he should write, or for better reference:  

Quote:  

Write more stuff that will be on programs of symphonic repertoire, and not only "Star Wars" on summer concerts  

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say, but I don't care anymore... this is getting nowhere, you don't know what you're talking about

ROTFLMAO Williams Fawkes the Phoenix

The London Symphony Orchestra

William Ross

Sorry, I couldn't find one icon to express my disgust.

Neither could I. I guess a one week ban for Mr. Guzman is in order.

Neil