Remaster vs original master

CuriousMan

33 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Minority Report was my first red flag, as I thought for sure that the expansion was going to blow my mind, but I found myself constantly missing the edits. The action cues feel disjointed without the film to bind them together, and there's a lot of "sneaking around" music that isn't all that interesting. 

This idea that film scores need room to breathe, or some such, doesn't really hold for me. Symphonies open with themes, and then develop from there, and I find that is what Williams does in his OSTs. They make musical sense, not narrative sense, and I'm fine with that. If I want narrative, I'll watch the movie. Film music occupies a weird space between absolute and program music. I want it to be more the former than the latter.

Interesting. Minority Report Was exactly the first expansion, that really triggered me as a listening experience. Still I was glad, that it had the OST edit of Anderton Escapes and others in the bonus section. 

Other expansions I really enjoy are Dracula, Close Encounters and The Eiger Sanction.

And A.I. and War of the Worlds, too.

Rather boring is Presumed Innocent and getting through disk 1 of Amistad is a challenge for me, too.

Apart from that, what always works great as expansion is Star Wars.

And I believe, that I will enjoy Hook as well. Still don't understand why the OST here didn't contain the End Credits Suite.

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Close Encounters

This occupies a strange space with stuff like Apollo 13 and A.I. and others that were compromised for commercial reasons. CE as an expansion is what he originally wanted, so I stick with that. Dracula is a case where the remastered sound is leaps and bounds better than any other version.