Is Howard Shore the Bernard Hermann of our time?

GerateWohl

1 hour ago, KK said:

I think in terms of motivic architecture, I understand the comparison in this thread. But I think they both just saw the orchestra very differently in the way they wrote. 

I agree. I mean, Hermann was even at the beginning of his film score career a very skilled orchestral composer. Howard Shore rather started with chamber music scores. I think, his first score with big orchestra was The Fly. I think, as an orchestral composer he grew a lot in LotR.

But for example Silence of the Lambs has a Hermann vibe to me somehow. 

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But for example Silence of the Lambs has a Hermann vibe to me somehow. 

Hmm...

Never thought of it like that before.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

As to the topic at hand, I can't really think of any contemporary composer that is the Herrmann of today. Plenty of composers who tap into his stylings now and then, of course (Elfman, most famously, back in the day), but not really a composer who is the exact replica of him.

I mean, I didn't of Shore as an exact replica of Hermann, rather in terms like what kind of movies do they score in which way, what is their position in the overall composer landscape, what is the overall soundcolor of their scores etc.

Also looking at Shore's working relationship with Cronenberg reminds me for whatever reason of Hitchcock and Hermann. And it is not about claiming that directors and composers are in the same greatness level, but that there and there is a series of visionary quite abysmal movies that resulted in interesting and genre defining scores.