So…uh…Anyone watch “Arcane” yet? (Arcane: League of Legends - Official Thread)

WampaRat

I am not a a gamer AT ALL. Depictions of rail-thin beauty’s hoisting gigantic min-guns or other cartoonishly large weapons frankly make my eyes roll out of my head. But I watched this show on a recommendation from a family member. And I’m completely floored by how amazing and engrossing this stunningly animated show is. Anyone else watched this?

I thought it was going to be an anime-type series (again, not my most favorite genre or style). But the aesthetic is more akin to gorgeous concept art that’s been animated. A stunning meld of 2D and 3D. They way the show mounts the stakes and develops the myriad of characters with each episode is just incredible. The music (both score and songs) complement the world perfectly. Although I selfishly wish it had a stronger thematic core.

Happy New Year everyone!

I honestly didn't think anyone here would be interested in it so I had not posted anything about it, but yes!

I don't play League of Legends, knew nothing about it, and I don't plan on playing those games ever. But I was very taken by the absolutely beautiful design and style of the world and animation I saw in a promo on Peacock or something, I believe. So, one night I thought "Eh, what the hell? I'll give it an episode." and I was hooked! Really engrossing story as you said, great characters and performances, overall just really well done. I very much enjoyed the music as well.

Glad to see others here have seen and enjoyed it as much as I did. It's certainly one of my favorite things I've seen this year.

8 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

This is not just one of the best animated shows I have ever seen, but some of the best television I have ever seen.

To start with the animation. The style of the animation is mindblowing and is something I have never seen before. It's really cool.

The plot is very rich with different story points that all tie together. And it ends on a amazing cliffhanger for Season 2.

The characters are across the board fantastic.

The music is also very strong!

Agreed. I know that “Its the Game of Thrones of (fill in the blank genre)” gets thrown around a lot. And I don’t know if that’s true. But there is some incredible writing and character development going on in this show. 

The way they lulled you into this tone of a pseudo YA SciFi adventure thriller. And then at the end of the third episode everything goes to Hell and the rug gets pulled out from under you. I had no idea where the story was headed. And I didn’t care. I just loved whatever twists and turns they were throwing at me.

If anyone's interested, Riot Music actually pulled something similar to what Netflix did with Yoko Kanno's score for Cowboy Bebop,

they officially posted the complete score to the entire series on YouTube with a lot of music that was not on the OSTs:

I have no connection to the games, and have no intention to ever play them, but I read all the buzz online, and that playing the games was not a prerequisite. So I checked it out and loved it. Great show. Beautiful steampunk. Adult themes and treatment.

11 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

If anyone's interested, Riot Music actually pulled something similar to what Netflix did with Yoko Kanno's score for Cowboy Bebop,

they officially posted the complete score to the entire series on YouTube with a lot of music that was not on the OSTs:

Oh really?! I saw those, but just assumed they were OST compilations. Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

14 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

Sweet! I’ll have to give this a listen. I checked out the albums after finishing the show. They were nice but kinda faded into the background after a while. I remember there being some sort of an instrumental color or motif for the hextech stone thingies that seemed absent from those releases. Perhaps they’ll be on these.

Again, the classic film music snob in me wished this series had a more pronounced thematic core. The tones and colors they use are terrific. Just wish they had some good tunes to use them on.