Masterpiece Theatre

MSM

Anyone who knows who composed the original theme for Masterpiece Theatre (of the basis of which Williams made his arrangement for Yo-Yo Ma)?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams wrote a new theme for The American Collection, a series of episodes of Masterpiece theatre. This was a 0ne minute long theme, he recorded with Ma and members of the BSO. Williams later reworked it into the concert version we have on the Yo-Yo Ma compilation.

Williams did included on his own piece a snipet of the piece originally used for this show, this being Jean Joseph Mouret's Rondeau

You can take his word for it. Miguel knows everything in the world. (Well, Williams related anyway :( )

Morlock- who wishes he had at least a tiny percentige of all those great CDs apparently printed only once and only one copy, which seems to have gone straight to Miguel.

Morlock2- Who thinks 30 words is too much for a final thought

You can take his word for it. Miguel knows everything in the world. (Well, Williams related anyway :( )

Morlock- who wishes he had at least a tiny percentige of all those great CDs apparently printed only once and only one copy, which seems to have gone straight to Miguel.

Morlock2- Who thinks 30 words is too much for a final thought

That's a very nice thing to say, thank you. As for those rare cd's, I've to tell you that they don't come to me... Yes, I have some rarities, but most of this stuff is just floating around, and is only a question of looking for them.

Could someone tell me at what time in the track that snippet appears?????

There's a little melodic fragment near the end which might be it, but I'm not sure...

Thanks I've always wandered about that!!

The Mouret snippet starts at about 2:40 and goes to 2:47.

~Mari, who also appreciates Miguel's knowledge and uses his site as a reference point when looking for information on the various releases of Williams' music. :(

Thanks Michael. Yeah I am not that familiar with American shows but I meant the American Colection theme indeed. This Mouret, is he a classical composer? Never heard of him before...

By the way, I know there exists a shorter version of Wiliams theme about 20 sec or so long. Has there been made any official recording of it as far as you know?

From the main rules thread.

Avoid posting VIDEO or MUSIC files and/or promoting pages containing VIDEO or MUSIC files such as MPEG, Windows Media, RealMedia or MP3 unless they are from your own creations or compositions. You may provide links to pages (not direct links to files) that LEGALLY use video or sound clips for promotional purposes (review sites, online stores, mp3.com artists...)

A private message does not fall into this category.

Neil

I don't have anything to add,except the MB has warped me back in time four days.Help me :)

K.M.Wondering if he has to prevent some event from happening.

• 5 months later...

It's a very beautiful theme, very regal, but unlike the original piece used on the television show, it's different with strings and woodwinds being more prominent than brass.

I wish I could find more music like this by Williams, which is very hard. But then again, all Williams music is good ;)