Bruce Broughton's Young Sherlock Holmes (1985) - NEW! 2022 Quartet Records 2xLP edition

Jay

https://quartetrecords.com/product/young-sherlock-holmes-2xlp/

Young Sherlock Holmes (2XLP)
Bruce Broughton
34,95€

Ref: QRLP36

Availabilty: PRE-ORDER, availability date 11/21/2022

Categories: Vinyl

Limited edition: 750 units

Quartet Records, in collaboration with Paramount Pictures, Geffen Records and Universal Music Special Markets, presents a premiere 2-LP presentation of the complete score by Bruce Broughton for Steven Spielberg’s delightful fantasy-adventure classic YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES (1985), written by Chris Columbus and directed by Barry Levinson.

Right after composing SILVERADO, Bruce Broughton wrote a tremendous symphonic score for YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES, one of the great scores from a legendary year in film music: 1985. His music takes us into the classy and mysterious atmosphere of Victorian London, with robust action music, catchy leitmotivs, impressive choral passages and a beautiful love theme—a masterpiece enthusiastically performed by the Sinfonia of London under the baton of the composer.

Although the score was previously released on vinyl by MCA in 1985 in a memorable 36-minute LP produced by Broughton himself, a lot of music was left out due to the lack of room. In 2019 Intrada Records released an incredible 3-CD set which not only contains the complete score, but also alternates, revised versions and the 1985 LP for the first time in digital format. This new Quartet 2-LP set expands on the original MCA vinyl and includes the complete score as heard in the film, following the film order (except for some slight changes made for listening pleasure purposes).

Edited, restored and mastered for vinyl by Chris Malone from elements provided by both Paramount Pictures and UME, this edition has been pressed in a 2-LP audiophile black vinyl of 180 GM, and presented in an elegant tip-on gatefold sleeve.

DISC 1

SIDE 1

1. Main Title (1:45)
  2. The First Victim (2:58)
  3. The Old Hat Trick (1:49)
  4. Watson’s Arrival (1:01)
  5. The Bear Riddle (0:46)
  6. Library Love / Waxflatter’s First Flight (2:54)
  7. Fencing with Rathe (1:07)
  8. Second Attempt (1:10)
  9. The Glass Soldier (3:20)
  10. Solving the Crime (4:58)

SIDE 2

1. Holmes and Elizabeth (Love Theme) (2:01)
  2. Cold Revenge (4:07)
  3. Waxflatter’s Death (3:41)
  4. The Hat (1:22)
  5. Getting the Point (6:21)
  6. Ytrairom Speeled Backwards (0:47)
  7. Rame Tep (3:10)

DISC 2

SIDE 3

1. Pastries and Crypts (6:48)
  2. Discovered by Rathe (3:54)
  3. To Cragwitch’s (1:32)
  4. The Explanation (1:48)
  5. Cragwitch Goes Again (1:21)
  6. It’s You! (6:21)

SIDE 4

1. Waxing Elizabeth (3:38)
  2. Temple Fire (3:22)
  3. Ehtar’s Escape (3:59)
  4. Duel and Final Farewell (5:40)
  5. The Riddles Solved and End Credits (6:31)

YOUNG-SHERLOCK-HOLMES.jpg

YOUNG-SHERLOCK-HOLMES2.jpg

Huh! A bit surprised to see this exist. Interesting alterations in the tracklist as well. I guess it's a bit too small of a film for any of the other LP labels to take on.

Since this has been re-edited and mastered for the format, I do wonder if it means It's You has the portion with the added percussion or not.

The tracklist is different from the 2002 Intrada promo, the 2014 Intrada 2-CD, and the 2019 Intrada 3-CD.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10jF4xhO7cGUk3KMgI1vBw2hva8ibrt81k_fQBe3FCz8/

I wonder if "It's You!" has the film percussion or not...

I was meaning to post about that in the 3CD thread for a while, since it's actually a different take for that section instead of an overlay. It seems likely that it only exists in the 2nd generation master that the 2002 promo uses if it's absent elsewhere officially, but it's possible they might've overlooked things if they forgot it was a separate take.

It would certainly kill the redundancy a bit, since the alternate with the ending pick up (mislabeled on the sessions) can keep the full original take for the rest of it (since they switch back to the original ending for the film edit of the cue).

It's listed as one of the alts for 11M1 (the one that lasts 24 seconds), which would be Watson to the Rescue on the spreadsheet.

The original sessions bootleg from 2000 (the earliest date that we know) didn't actually come with titles, so the two tracklists you might find for it are a lot of guesswork for the non-OST cues.

Thanks!

So when assembling the 2014 and 2019 main programs, they neglected to replace the ending with the pick-up ending for that cue.  I wonder if the Quartet edition will use that pick-up ending or not

Oh, I thought you were referring to the pick up with the sped up conclusion, since the portion with the percussion is more in the middle of the track. That would be the alternate for Pursuit / Flying on the bootleg.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh

So is the percussion part missing from the 2014/2019 editions, but present on the 2002 promo, in the session leak, or not?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I wonder if "It's You!" has the film percussion or not...

3 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I do wonder if it means It's You has the portion with the added percussion or not.

Creepy. ;)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh

So is the percussion part missing from the 2014/2019 editions, but present on the 2002 promo, in the session leak, or not?

That's right. The pick up I'm referring to is a different thing, which gets incorporated for the alt on the 2019 set.

I should say that the film only uses a portion of the Pursuit/Flying alt, since there's some flubs in the performance near the end of it. So it switches to the other take at a certain point.

• 1 month later...

I've only now realized that they use the film version of the main titles here, which I'm guessing is partly for space reasons (seeing as every prior edition uses the longer rendition in the main program). The description does say they're adhering to what's in the movie, yet I would've expected legal shenanigans to have both included if this counts as an expansion of the original album release.

Comparing the samples to the 2019 set, they definitely do appear to be using the same source for the Quartet LP. I might've expected them to go for the master used on the 2014 release, if the general aim was movie accuracy, but then I suppose that would've been too much work for such a niche release (especially if they don't have things like the partial film take of Taking To The Air). It does seem a bit more muted in spots, so I can't imagine a digital copy of this release having any advantages over the recent Intrada (unless they indeed did find the one missing piece, which I kind of doubt at this point).

I did see that the film will finally get a proper BD release in January (no extras or isolated score unfortunately), so that probably explains why this popped up recently. Definitely am happy to buy it, as I seem to be a bigger fan of the flick than most others.

On 1/11/2022 at 8:08 AM, Jay said:

I thought the percussion ending was missing from both versions of "It's You" on the 2019 set?

“It’s You!” includes the percussion performance heard in the film on the Quartet set. 

Well I'll be damned! You have any idea why it couldn't be found for the Intrada releases?

(Will also preemptively apologize in case anything I've said here came across as disrespectful, as I wasn't intending to be critical of anyone's work here. I'm just as much a fan as everyone else, which does lead to me expressing things in odd manners sometimes. Forgive me if merely saying the new master seemed slightly muted ended up appearing insulting in how I wrote it.)

Not sure. A goal of the Quartet LP edition was to match the performance edits made for the film as reasonably as practical.

No problem—enthusiasm for the stuff we love is good!

Chris

Ah okay. I do remember them saying that the 2002 promo used a second generation copy of the Tomlinson stereo mixes (the only time the take had surfaced prior officially), so I guess it's possible they found they couldn't get it sounding up to snuff for their liking if that was the only usable copy on their end. I have no basis for that though without asking them directly, especially as the copy on the sessions bootleg sounds relatively consistent with everything else on the set (so it might just be matter of wanting everything to be from one source). Could be dependent on how they transferred the tapes also.

One of the greatest scores of the 80s:

The flute work on this track was embellished in my young mind as the gold standard, just astonishing work, sorry can't find the track, works even more efficiently with the imagery from the film: