The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild

Jay

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh poop, I didn't even think to take a picture for the compendium.  Damn!

I don't remember if I had any quests about him; If I did I would have kicked them off 3 years ago.  I'll check the quest log next time I'm playing.

So basically if you can maneuver him off the mountain, you can ride him around the whole map like any other horse?  But if you stray too far away from him he'll disappear?

So the only point is that he's cool looking, basically?  Or does he buff your attack when you're on him or something?

He has infinite stamina, and it is the fastest mount.

Ah OK

You know, I hardly ever use horses in this game.  Early in the game, you want to be exploring every area you're in for plants and weapons and korok seeds.  Late in the game, you have enough warp points (and enough stamina for gliding) to get anywhere you need to be pretty quickly it seems

I did use one yesterday to explore an area I hadn't been to that was far away from shrines, but then I found a shrine in the middle of the area so now it's covered too

How often do you guys use horses?

I never used horses unless I needed them specifically for a quest.  Too much hopping off to fight or collect things.  I did use the motorcycle quite a bit after I beat the game, just to zip through areas I've already explored in search of new shrines, villages, etc.

new villages?  Aren't there only 7 in the entire game?  Rito (northwest), Goron (northeast), Kakariko and Zora's domain (central), Gerudo (southeast), Hateno and the fishing village (southwest)? 

Plus Tarrey Town later on I guess

How could you never find those until late game?

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

new villages?  Aren't there only 7 in the entire game?  Rito (northwest), Goron (northeast), Kakariko and Zora's domain (central), Gerudo (southeast), Hateno and the fishing village (southwest)? 

Maybe he is referring to those little places like the stables, ruined villages etc.

There is also the oasis thing, and the Yiga clan hideout if you wanna count them as villages...

I'm wondering if I haven't found all the stables maybe.  I still have 4 memories to unlock, and Pikango has shown me where 2 of them are, and they are both near Hyrule Castle, which I've been avoiding so far (that island next to it I found the Shrine on last night was the closest I've gotten). 

So I have no clue where the other 2 memories could be, unless you unlock them inside Hyrule Castle at the end game or something.... or I missed an entire stable or 2 somewhere that Pikango would help me at... 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'm wondering if I haven't found all the stables maybe.  I still have 4 memories to unlock, and Pikango has shown me where 2 of them are, and they are both near Hyrule Castle, which I've been avoiding so far (that island next to it I found the Shrine on last night was the closest I've gotten). 

So I have no clue where the other 2 memories could be, unless you unlock them inside Hyrule Castle at the end game or something.... or I missed an entire stable or 2 somewhere that Pikango would help me at... 

One is inside the castle, on the wall, or Zelda's room...

So the two I know about, 1 inside the castle... and then maybe I'm missing a stable.  I'll have to count how many stable icons I have on my map and see.  I quickly googled and saw the game has 15 stables.  If I only have 14 on my map I'll know I missed one.  Then I'll have to find it!

Last night I was wondering around the northwest mountain range (Hebra mountain I think) looking for the damn leviathan bones that must be up there, and found a strange, giant door tucked away that I couldn't interact with statis or magnesis, and bombs did nothing.  I fiddled around for a while and left, marking my map to return later.  My shrine sensor was going off so there must be a shrine inside.

Then this morning I had an epiphany that the random snowballs I found nearby must be there for you to roll down into the doors.  This freaking game...

Yea, I recently found him in Lurelin; the picture I showed him, he said was near Hyrule Castle, so that's one of the two I already know about.

I have a vague memory of already finding him in Goron City 3 years ago, but I suppose I can wander back there and check again.  After every blood moon I warp there and head north the abandoned mine to farm red lizalfos tails anyway (need them to upgrade Snowquill set).

I try to find Smotherwing Butterflies up there too but even with stealth armor they never show up so I have to buy them from Beedle

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I meant stables and things of that nature.  I'm sure there's plenty I haven't found yet.  I still had substantial unexplored areas.  Although I didn't find the fishing village until 3/4 of the way through my most recent play!

One wish I have is for more small encampments across the map - stumbling upon, like, the Monster Store for the first time in the middle of a lake at night was pretty neat.  More stable-type places, more villages that have no relevance to the story (fishing village), or even just isolated shops in the middle of nowhere.  I love the general wilderness exploration aspect of BOTW, but I think it would neat to have juuuuuust a tad more going on in the next one.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

So the two I know about, 1 inside the castle... and then maybe I'm missing a stable.  I'll have to count how many stable icons I have on my map and see.  I quickly googled and saw the game has 15 stables.  If I only have 14 on my map I'll know I missed one.  Then I'll have to find it!

Last night I was wondering around the northwest mountain range (Hebra mountain I think) looking for the damn leviathan bones that must be up there, and found a strange, giant door tucked away that I couldn't interact with statis or magnesis, and bombs did nothing.  I fiddled around for a while and left, marking my map to return later.  My shrine sensor was going off so there must be a shrine inside.

Then this morning I had an epiphany that the random snowballs I found nearby must be there for you to roll down into the doors.  This freaking game...

Had to google that solution myself - as well as the location.  The shrine locator would ping fairly far away from the actual door, since the shrine is deep in the mountain - good luck!

I think I found two of the leviathans in my travels, but never went out explicitly looking for them.  One was in the snowy mountains, the other among some canyons not too far from the Goron mountains

5 hours ago, Jay said:

So basically if you can maneuver him off the mountain, you can ride him around the whole map like any other horse?  But if you stray too far away from him he'll disappear?

So the only point is that he's cool looking, basically?  Or does he buff your attack when you're on him or something?

People have made a strong case that the creature is actually a tribute to Satoru Iwata.

And yep, I'm playing through the game again. I decided to take Jay's suggestion to heart and go for the Dorito people first.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

People have made a strong case that the creature is actually a tribute to Satoru Iwata.

And yep, I'm playing through the game again. I decided to take Jay's suggestion to heart and go for the Dorito people first.

262-2622281_upside-down-dorito-chip-hd-p

31 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Had to google that solution myself - as well as the location.  The shrine locator would ping fairly far away from the actual door, since the shrine is deep in the mountain - good luck!

Yea it started beeping long before I found that door (though, last night I also found a shrine in that area I had never found before, so maybe it was beeping for that?).  However, it was still beeping when I was near the door..... at least I think it was!

I think I found two of the leviathans in my travels, but never went out explicitly looking for them.  One was in the snowy mountains, the other among some canyons not too far from the Goron mountains

That doesn't make much sense.  You can literally see two of them (one in Geurdo Desert, one north of Death Mountain) right on the map, because they are so large.

The quest tells you the third is in Hebra Mountain, and I slowly scrolled over the whole map and never saw any bones, so finding the door last night was an a-ha moment that they must be in a huge cave (along with a shrine) behind the door

30 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Yea I meant to say something about that a week or more ago when I first found Satori Mountain;  I randomly found the mountain, explored around, and found its awesome lake and forest areas with tons of apples and tons of other collectibles, and the whole area was all so calming, it was awesome.  I assumed it was a tribute to Iwata.

Last night finding the Lord horse thingy for the first time, I dunno if that connects much to Iwata or not, but it's all so cool.

Nah, the suggestion was to do them AFTER Zora, which you still want to do first, to get the zora armor and MIpha's Grace, which makes exploring everything else SOOO much easier.  You just want to then get the Revali's gale ASAP because it's also SO useful (and the Rito area is awesome and its beast and boss is easy)

IIRC the main story stuff leads you towards Zora's first, doesn't it?  Though obviously you can do whatever you want

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nah, the suggestion was to do them AFTER Zora, which you still want to do first, to get the zora armor and MIpha's Grace, which makes exploring everything else SOOO much easier.  You just want to then get the Revali's gale ASAP because it's also SO useful (and the Rito area is awesome and its beast and boss is easy)

....oh. Well, like I said, I've done that before, so to birdland it is! I'm gonna save Gerudo for last, probably, since it's the coolest one, and has the most depth in its society. Piggybacking off Mike's wishes, I do hope the sequel is able to throw in deeper main quest sections--some of the stuff, most notably the Rita section, is almost laughable in how quick and shallow it is. 

Regarding the leviathans, I think I ended up finding them all. One thing that mildly disappointed me with the game was that after a certain point, you come to realize that the vast majority of these kinds of quests tend to have one reward: a "free" shrine. The most egregious example of this for me was getting scales from the dragons. It's not as bad as Super Mario Odyssey and its Power Moons, but I also hope the sequel will provide more variety, and again, more depth on what you can discover.

The reward for getting dragon parts is to upgrade the Champion's Tunic so you can keep using it and see enemy HP! (and rock classic Link blue) 

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

The reward for getting dragon parts is to upgrade the Champion's Tunic so you can keep using it and see enemy HP! (and rock classic Link blue) 

Right, but isn't the actual quest where you have to drop the scales in a spring just rewarded by a shrine? And maybe a flashback cutscene?

6 hours ago, Jay said:

That doesn't make much sense.  You can literally see two of them (one in Geurdo Desert, one north of Death Mountain) right on the map, because they are so large.

Huh - never noticed the bones on the map.  The one north of Death Mountain I found while wandering.  Gerudo Desert was probably my largest unexplored area on the map when I stopped playing - just seemed like there wasn’t a ton going on there every time I set out in a direction, so I stopped

6 hours ago, Jay said:

IIRC the main story stuff leads you towards Zora's first, doesn't it?  Though obviously you can do whatever you want

I don’t think the game leads you one way or the other, but it’s probably the closest distance-wise from Kakariko, so it was where I went first.  Don’t regret it - the extra life is v useful 

36 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I don’t think the game leads you one way or the other, but it’s probably the closest distance-wise from Kakariko, so it was where I went first.  Don’t regret it - the extra life is v useful 

Right, it encourages you to find Impa in Kakariko Village, and if you wander nearby, a Zora stops you and asks you to follow him to the Domain. 

39 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Gerudo Desert was probably my largest unexplored area on the map when I stopped playing - just seemed like there wasn’t a ton going on there every time I set out in a direction, so I stopped

There are some cool things out there, including the snowy mountains outside of the Desert proper. Did you ever find the Fairy Fountain in the outskirts?

14 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Right, but isn't the actual quest where you have to drop the scales in a spring just rewarded by a shrine? And maybe a flashback cutscene?

That's not really how that worked.  You talk to a guy in Hateno Village, and he tells you there's something funny going on on the mountain.  So you wander up there and find the dragon covered in malice, so you shoot all the malice off and free the dragon, and that ends the quest (or maybe it ends when you go talk to the NPC again, I don't remember).  Then, you can put the scale on the pedestal in front of the spring, but that's the same thing you do on all three springs, you put a different dragon scale on each one.  And yea, each spring does have a shrine inside/behind it. 

The best thing freeing him from the malice does is cause him to start appearing across Hyrule in the sky; Before you do that, only the other 2 dragons are roaming around.

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

Huh - never noticed the bones on the map.  

You must be remembering wrong, the bones are clearly visible on the map, they are enormous!

The one north of Death Mountain I found while wandering.  Gerudo Desert was probably my largest unexplored area on the map when I stopped playing - just seemed like there wasn’t a ton going on there every time I set out in a direction, so I stopped

I mean, when you kick off the leviathan bones quest, they tell you one of them is in the Gerudo desert, and if you look at Gerudo Desert on the map you see the giant bones.  You can take a sand seal to get there quickly, and kill Moldugas on the way if you want to (you need their parts for upgrades, and a fin for a quest).

Inside the leviathan bones is one of the 4 fairy fountains, which you must have found if you upgraded your armors to 4 stars?

I seem to remember 3 years ago being led into Zora's domain by some questline, but now I don't remember if you get it automatically after Kakariko, or I happened to bump into some NPC somewhere that kicked it off

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

You must be remembering wrong, the bones are clearly visible on the map, they are enormous!

I mean, when you kick off the leviathan bones quest, they tell you one of them is in the Gerudo desert, and if you look at Gerudo Desert on the map you see the giant bones.  You can take a sand seal to get there quickly, and kill Moldugas on the way if you want to (you need their parts for upgrades, and a fin for a quest).

Inside the leviathan bones is one of the 4 fairy fountains, which you must have found if you upgraded your armors to 4 stars?

Don't know what to tell you!  I've never been there, and can only think of two fairy fountains (one near Kakariko and one that was kind of an oasis carved into the side of red stony mountains).  I never did any grinding to upgrade my armors - usually just popped into the fairy fountain at Kakariko since it was convenient to a warp point and bought whatever I could based on the resources I had collected every once in a while.  I also (obvs) never completed any of the Leviathan bones quests - the only thing I remember is a group of guys in one of the stables talking about the bones, but I never went searching.

Huh.  How did you do all the stuff in late game with weak armor?

it becomes soooooooo much easier to do anything late game with armor that actually protects you from enemy attacks.  You can take a guardian beam straight to the face and it only takes off like 5 hearts

Every time I got 4 shrines done, I always upgraded my hearts, never my endurance!  And I utilized stealth and inventive combat much more than head-to-head.  Unless I needed my outfit for a functional use (stealth, climbing, swimming, temperature adjustment), I just wore whatever outfit.

Conflict avoidance, too.  Once the BIG Yiga clan member guys started populating, I started running away from those encounters.  On my most recent playthrough, I may not have killed any guardians (maybe one or two with ancient arrows?), and certainly never came close to thwomping a Lynel despite one night's worth of attempts later on.  I'm still not sure that I could conquer a "Major Test of Strength" shrine.  I got pretty good at taking down Hinox though by the end of it.

Wow that's wild, I upgraded my stamina to the full 3 wheels as soon as I got the 13 hearts necessary for the master sword.  It was so freeing to be able to climb massive mountains or glide across massive swaths of land without needing to eat food, I love it

That's the great thing about the game - you kind of make your own experience, and everyone's is so wildly different from others'.

I may have to get back into it soon to try and do some Shrine and quest mop-up.  Right now I'm playing through Arkham Asylum again, though.

The Gerudo Desert is really cool, it's actually fun to explore

I found this random shrine once, and there was a gerudo lady leaning over the activator pedestal, so I couldn't get in until I brought her some kind of refreshing drink.  That kicked off this whole thing where I had to find some bar inside gerudo town and get them to make a drink for her, but they were out of ice, so I had to go to this other area and carry a big block of ice in the hot sun to the bar, but there were all these enemies in the way you had to either wipe out quickly or avoid, but they  are hard to sneak by because you have to carry the ice block, etc... it was neat

Then there's this other one where you follow the direction a bunch of statues are pointing their swords until you find a shrine, that was awesome

And there are yellow lizalfos everywhere you can farm for yellow tails for armor upgrades

And there are the 4 moldugas which are incredibly easy to beat, and give you a bunch of rewards plus parts for upgrades

Lots to do!

I beat 1-2 moldugas (including a massive one on the motorcycle questline, which was a real chore), and I definitely did the ice block->drink thing - I think that shrine isn't too far to the left of the Gerudo town.  I think it's just the kind of endless stretches of flat-ish desert, just didn't really appeal to me. 

I know that on my most recent playthrough, I never bought the house/built the village, and I never did Eventide Island.  I may have missed a Labyrinth or two as well.  And somehow I never managed to find my way into that pitch-black haunted forest despite trying (I had no trouble on my previous playthrough).  So that stuff I might hit first next time I find myself in Hyrule.

Oh, just realized that I definitely DID kill a handful of guardians, since one of the motorcycle quests involved battling a bunch of them near Zora's domain

Yea, it's only an "endless stretch" if you're walking; On a sand seal you breeze right to all the stuff out there

The guardians are ridiculously easy late game, after they are so intimidating early game!  

You can stand in front of them holding any shield, and as soon as their laser light turns blue and makes the firing sound, hit A and you bounce their laser beam back into their face.  They did in either 2 or 3 of those.  And if you have a guardian weapon or master sword, one swing will take off a leg, which causes them to topple over and stop charging their laser, then you can whack all their legs and their body before they can do jack shit to you

Yea I hardly ever use a shield.  I currently have like, 4 Royal Shields in my inventory, all like 55-72 defense power, and I'm still rocking a 37 defense guardian Shield++ because it looks cooler, and it's never dwindled down cause no one ever whacks it really.

One thing I like to do with shields is carry around a wooden one, because sometimes you can get it set up where a bokoblin is firing off arrows towards you, and if you have your wooden shield out, they will get stuck in it, and if you put away the shield, you collect the arrow on it.  Put it back out and repeat until he stops shooting arrows or you get bored!

Had a fun time with BOTW last night

There's this huge canyon in the northwest, around Hebra Mountain - I had never set foot in it at all.  I warped towards the western point, actually ended up at the edge of the map before starting my canyon run; I thought about trying to paraglide out towards the edge of the map to see what kind of error or message you get when you hit the edge, but I had only recently discovered that you can shoot beams from the master sword at full health so I chickened out

So then I just started going through the canyon.  It was mostly empty and populated by wolves and foxes, but I found some fun stuff.... A random shrine tucked away, which was great because I had a marker on my map from the sensor going off but me never finding it; That's because I was up high on the main ground, and couldn't see it way down in the canyon!

And I found a Gerudo dude who set up a freaking GOLF COURSE!  I had heard about this years ago when the game came out, but never found it until now.  It was actually REALLY hard to get the ball in the hole without falling off the course, it took me 10 strokes!  I didn't even try again cause I figured the reward would just be rupees anyway and I have literally nothing to spend them on this late in the game.

Then at the end of the canyon, there's a MASSIVE RUINED TEMPLE THING!!!  It was so cool, so huge an cavernous and decayed, gave me cool post-apocalyptic vibes which otherwise the game only does in small pieces.  Inside, there were not Guardians walking around, but probably 8-10 turrets that came to life when i got close.  Every single one I just shot in the eyeball with an arrow to stop its laser, glided to it, hit it eight times with my glowing Master Sword, and it was dead.  Collected lots of ancient parts!

Finally at the end of the massive temple was as shrine, which was my 100th shrine!!!!  And behind that, was a goddess statue, so I could immediately collected my next heart container reward.  Awesome!

Now I have 20 shrines left to find, and no idea where to look.  I can't believe beyond the 2 shrine quests I have (that are too cryptic for me to figure out anything), there are another 18 out there somewhere!

I got some more exploring to do!

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

Then at the end of the canyon, there's a MASSIVE RUINED TEMPLE THING!!!  It was so cool, so huge an cavernous and decayed, gave me cool post-apocalyptic vibes which otherwise the game only does in small pieces.  Inside, there were not Guardians walking around, but probably 8-10 turrets that came to life when i got close.  Every single one I just shot in the eyeball with an arrow to stop its laser, glided to it, hit it eight times with my glowing Master Sword, and it was dead.  Collected lots of ancient parts!

Finally at the end of the massive temple was as shrine, which was my 100th shrine!!!!  And behind that, was a goddess statue, so I could immediately collected my next heart container reward.  Awesome!

I just did that last night! I'm still pretty early, and weak, so the moment you walk in range and you see like six targeting reticules on you and those trumpets start playing...feet don't fail me now! This is one of Nintendo's funniest games for sure, and some of the most hilarious moments are when they lull you into these ridiculous scenarios.

I've trapped myself into getting myself involved in the most cockamamie Zelda fetch quest ever...I want to do the Rito Divine Beast first, so I need to go into the cold lands. Well I don't want to rely on meals, so I want to buy the whole Rito set of clothes. But I don't have the money, so now I'm scouring Hyrule for all these odd jobs and quests in an attempt to earn enough money...having played the game before, I remember there being instances where you really need some items such as luminous stones and gems, particularly ruby and sapphire. So I don't want to sell them until I know I've gotten to the places where you need them...oh, you need the gems in Gerudo Town, I'll just make my way over there! Oh, but now I need the clothes to disguise myself as a female, which requires...money.

So basically all I need to do is earn enough money to buy the disguise to enter Gerudo Town so I can give the gems to the person who needs it, so then I can feel at ease selling gemstones to earn enough profit to recoup what I spent on the disguise, and then earn enough money around the world to buy the Rito clothes to do the mission at hand. Simple.

Replaying the game has also reaffirmed that this in indeed the most sexual Nintendo game ever, and that Link is a bit of a jackass. I found this one older dude kinda near Rito land who desperately wants to offer his life savings to the Great Fairy in the region, but is too frail to make the voyage. He then entrusts you with his life savings to make the offering for him...being interested myself, I did actually find the Great Fairy and give her his Rupees. After I returned to him, he was profoundly grateful for your pilgrimage on his behalf. You then get one dialogue option: "Aren't you forgetting something?"

48 minutes ago, who cares said:

I think I know the temple you're talking about, and I couldn't ever beat it. Now I want to get back into that game again. 

Join the club!

53 minutes ago, who cares said:

I think I know the temple you're talking about, and I couldn't ever beat it. Now I want to get back into that game again. 

There was nothing to "beat", it was just a giant ruined room full of turrets; You could probably sneak past all the guardian turrets and just pop into the shrine if you wanted to

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I just did that last night! I'm still pretty early, and weak, so the moment you walk in range and you see like six targeting reticules on you and those trumpets start playing...feet don't fail me now! This is one of Nintendo's funniest games for sure, and some of the most hilarious moments are when they lull you into these ridiculous scenarios.

Ha, yes!  I literally had no idea what was gonna be inside; It's so massive, you see it from a distance but as you get closer and closer you realize the sheer scale of it, and you have to climb to find a (relatively) tiny opening to go inside... and once I stumbled into the room and literally had six laser beams pointing at me at once I must have jumped in bed, hopefully I didn't wakt up my wife...

Luckily since I have 3 star armor the blast I took the face didn't take off that many hearts ,and I was then able to take the turrets out one at a time by hiding behind various rocks and structures and stuff.

I can't imagine making my way through here without a master sword!  It really makes quick work of these things.  I love that the durability goes up as well as the attack power when you're near guardians, so after 8 whacks each to all the turrets in the room, it still wasn't close to breaking

I've trapped myself into getting myself involved in the most cockamamie Zelda fetch quest ever...I want to do the Rito Divine Beast first, so I need to go into the cold lands. Well I don't want to rely on meals, so I want to buy the whole Rito set of clothes. But I don't have the money, so now I'm scouring Hyrule for all these odd jobs and quests in an attempt to earn enough money...having played the game before, I remember there being instances where you really need some items such as luminous stones and gems, particularly ruby and sapphire. So I don't want to sell them until I know I've gotten to the places where you need them...oh, you need the gems in Gerudo Town, I'll just make my way over there! Oh, but now I need the clothes to disguise myself as a female, which requires...money.

So basically all I need to do is earn enough money to buy the disguise to enter Gerudo Town so I can give the gems to the person who needs it, so then I can feel at ease selling gemstones to earn enough profit to recoup what I spent on the disguise, and then earn enough money around the world to buy the Rito clothes to do the mission at hand. Simple.

Selling gemstones is a great way to make money early game for sure, but yes, late game you need all the gems to upgrade all the armor so it's a bit of a catch 22.

I've found the best way to make money is to actually just cook 5 Gourmet Meats together, and sell those skewers.  The idiot shop owners in the game five you 490 rupees for each one!  Since you're spending time in the Rito area, you can farm tons of gourmet meat on hebra mountain, for some reason all the moose, deer, wolfs, boars, etc on the mountain drop prime or gourmet meat almost all the time.  Though of course, you want the cold weather outside to spend any time on the mountain, so you need money first....

Join the club!

I am SO glad I got back into this game 3 years after starting it.  I haven't had this much fun playing video games in... ever maybe

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

There was nothing to "beat", it was just a giant ruined room full of turrets; You could probably sneak past all the guardian turrets and just pop into the shrine if you wanted to

Or you could do the not candy-ass thing!

I basically just beelined to the other side, using the updrafts to constantly sail and drop to dodge all the lasers.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've found the best way to make money is to actually just cook 5 Gourmet Meats together, and sell those skewers. 

Damn, really? So literally just drop five chunks of gourmet meat together? The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Atkins.

Yup!  Just 5 Gourmet Meat, nothing else.  490 rupees! I couldn't believe it.

5 Prime Meat also sells for pretty high (290 I think?), I sell those too

then I cook 5 Raw Meat together for myself, and use those to heal up - if I ever actually need to; whenever I get to low health is Mipha's Grace is charged, I always let that heal me for the free 4 extra yellow hearts.

but if I'm fighting a Lynel or something and sucking at it, that's when I pound some meat!

My other favorite thing to cook is 5 Mighty Bananas together . Gives you a "high level" attack bonus, as opposed to a "Mid Level" or "Low Level", and usually lasts for around 3 minutes, long enough for any encounter.

I never start a Lynel fight without eating bananas first!

Random tips, tricks, or other things I've found

• If you feed a dog apples or meat (just drop them on the ground in front of them), after the third item he maybe lead you to a treasure chest in the ground nearby you can magnesis out
  • Likeise, you can feed your horses!  You can either put the apple on the ground, or just stand there holding it, and he'll eat it out of your hand!  If you feed him enduring carrots, he'll have more stamina (the spurs icons, but only temporarily); If you feed him a swift carrot, he'll be faster!
  • If you take a stealth elixir, eat a stealth meal, or wear stealth gear, you can walk right up to a sleeping or unaware enemy and the Y button becomes a "sneak strike" that kills them in one hit, even moblins.  For evolved moblins (black moblins), it might only take like 60% of their health, though it probably depends on the weapon you use.  You have to walk slow, not full spead, and it probably makes a difference if your meal/elixier was low-, mid-, or high-level (i think the stealth armor is always high level, not sure).
  • I mentioned this one already, but hold out a wooden shield if an enemy is firing arrows at you, and you can collect the arrows of it by just putting it away
  • You can farm wood for free, just use your rune bombs to blow up trees, then blow up the fallen log and it turns into wood.  If you want to farm a lot at one and not be bothered by enemies, use the woods near Rito Stable, or venture into the Fort Hateno area
  • Many villagers have different dialogue which may include unique quest lines depending on if it is night or day, as well as after other events are finished elsewhere, so be sure to revisit villages and talk to poeple again!  The people that will have a quest for you will have a red exclamation mark showing before you being the dialogue, just when you get near them
  • All the Minor/Modest/Major Tests of Strength shrines replenish after blood moons, so you can farm them for Guardian weapons, shields, and ancient parts
  • If you find a merchant while is is raining, they'll have different inventory/prices
  • You can catch the little fairies hovering around the great fairy fountains, you just have to approach them very slowly / wear stealth armor (same with sunset fireflies)

Playing the Master Quest Trial in the DLC, you become very, very intimate with the various things you can do with your bombs, as it's the only offense you have to start with. My favorite trick with them lately is whenever I encounter those cheeky-ass land Octoroks that hide underground when you approach, just place a bomb right next to their shrub and get far enough away where they pop up and try to attack.

Ha, I never thought of doing that!  I seem to usually be able to swipe at their shrub and that makes them pop up, and then I bop em dead.  But what I hate is when there are multiple around you, and they are spitting rocks at you all at once.  So annoying!  Seems to happen more with the water based ones

I never thought of doing that either!

I usually just hold out my shield, and the rock they spit bounces right back into their own face and kills them.  Only works if you are close enough, though.

Wait, even better! What happens if you planted an ice block right underneath them?

I never used my shield in that way. I forget they exist, more often than not, to the point where I get startled if I accidentally start surfing on them. "Oh crap, what's happening!?"