Composer Laurie Johnson passed away at 95

pro-arte

Yeah, posted about it in the obit thread just now. But deserves its own thread, I suppose. Thanks for providing a link; I only had Facebook posts to go by.

I saw Laurie Johnson with his London Big Band about twenty years ago in Croydon's Fairfield Hall of all places.  It was really good.  Although Laurie Johnson must have been in his mid-seventies then, he was a positive youngster compared to some of the other musicians on stage, a few of which were in their nineties!  I seem to remember that Jack Parnell and Don Lusher were among those in the orchestra.

While a lot of his most famous TV themes and film scores were just a little bit before my time, many are so familiar to British listeners even if they do not necessarily know who composed them - Animal Magic, This Is Your Life, Whicker's World and many more.  His themes for The Professionals and The New Avengers should make the shortlist if ever Great Britain needs a new national anthem.

RIP Laurie Johnson, and thank you, thank you, thank you for the fantastic music.

I suppose he’ll be most remembered for The Avengers and New Avengers theme tunes (that’s the non-superheroic British Avengers, eh) but this is one of my faves: 

Animal Magic was another. Johnson’s music was certainly a huge part of my childhood.

Wasn’t it Johnson who became a really good friend to Bernard Herrmann when the latter moved to London? We also have him to thank for encouraging Herrmann back into the fray when he felt his career was in the doldrums. 

On 22/01/2024 at 10:32 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

His re-recording of Herrmann's North by Northwest was one of my early soundtrack purchases. A bit slow tempo, but otherwise a fine recording.

I got both Varese Sarabande and Unicorn Kanchana, I believe there are two versions of the recording, the Unicorn Kanchana is more dry to my ears .

2 minutes ago, pro-arte said:

I got both Varese Sarabande and Unicorn Kanchana, I believe there are two versions of the recording, the Unicorn Kanchana is more dry to my ears .

Yeah, I know. Which one do you like the most?