ROTK score recorded?

MrScratch

Does anyone know the status of the ROTK score or if it has been recorded yet? With the film three months away, I wonder how close Shore is to finishing his masterpiece. With no Williams scores this year, this is all I have to look forward to.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TORn recently had a very unspecific report claiming that Jackson and Shore were in London at that time and working on the music - whatever that means.

Marian - looking forward to this and Matrix Revolutions.

I felt that the Matrix Reloaded was a complete waste of time. I saw the first one on video and really enjoyed it, I was sorry I missed it in theaters. So, I was eager to see 'Reloaded' this summer and it bored me to sleep. I found it amazing how a film can have so much action and yet be so boring at the same time.

I found it amazing how a film can have so much action and yet be so boring at the same time.

I agree. In fact I think I said something very similar in May. :)

Neil

I found long parts of the first half pointless and therefore boring. But somewhere in the middle, it started getting a story again, and therefore the action got exciting again too. And I don't see why an action movie with a story can't have an interesting dialogue-driven sequence near the end.

Marian - who was referring to the scores above but is also looking forward to seeing both movies.

One of the best films of the summer was a Bruckheimer film.. Pirates of the Carribean. I can't wait to see it again.

Here's an article about The Return of the King score:

Composer Loves Return of the King Rough Cut

Howard Shore begins working on his third orchestral LOTR score.

April 25, 2003 - With a rough cut of The Return of the King finished, Howard Shore's part of the mammoth production begins. The Oscar-winning composer has begun studying a complete edit of the film as part of his preparation work.

The Province, one of Vancouver's daily papers, had an interview with the Canadian-born composer in which he discussed his approach to the project and his thoughts on the final Lord of the Rings film.

The fantasy trilogy has proven much more challenging for Shore than most movies. Shore is essentially scoring one long, 9-hour story, and he must use his orchestrations to tie all three films together. "You're ultimately dealing with a nine- to 10-hour film. You're creating a large musical work, a 10-hour piece, using all the Tolkien languages."

It's the unusual nature of this project that earns Shore the privilege of viewing each film nine months before its release. Right now, he's in the first stage of his creative planning. That means watching The Return of the King for hours on end, getting a sense of the film's moods and rhythms, deciding where to go with the score. "It's the beginning process because you just want to absorb it and feel something about it. Then comes the more technical process. How does the music relate to the film? What are the tempos? What are the colors?"

Once Shore has completed his planning and scoring, a 100-voice choir and the 100-piece London Philharmonic Orchestra will be waiting for him in London, England.

Shore was also eager to share his opinion on ROTK as a movie. "I can tell you that having seen The Return of the King, it is a great film. It is amazing."

This came from http://filmforce.ign.com/lotr/articles/395...5/395204p1.html

and the article originated on April 25th, 2003. So Shore may be pretty close to finishing his score.

*I really look forward to hearing it. It will probbaly be the best one of all.

It's the unusual nature of this project that earns Shore the privilege of viewing each film nine months before its release....

As I said hundred times before, to score the epos appropriately, Shore is given more time than anyone in the history. It reminds me of that that knuckleheaded comment the Filmtracks' webmaster gave us in his review of Lord of The Rings score, about how Shore easily surpasses anything Williams has been recently composing for Harry Potter...

:devil:

One of the best films of the summer was a Bruckheimer film.. Pirates of the Carribean.  I can't wait to see it again.

I would credit POTC to Verbinski. Of course, I don't know anything about the actual production of the film but I have so far enjoyed all of Verbinski's films and hated most of Bruckheimer.

Shore easily surpasses anything Williams has been recently composing for Harry Potter...

I'm going to have to agree 100%!!! fully aware I've taken your comment out of context

I disagree. I do like Howard Shore's LOTR more than HP, but I wouldn't say "easily surpasses". HP is my favorite Williams score since Schindlers List.