1. 1.

• the two Star Wars prequel scores.
    • the two Harry Potter scores.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if his writing workload was a problem, he would have burned out a long time ago.

Everyone has his limit or breaking point.

Has he reached his "limit or breaking point", now after all of these years of intense writing? You're presumably coming from the point of view of someone who is disappointed by recent scores, but given that so many people still enjoy them and aren't disappointed, I'm skeptical when anyone tries to establish trends in his level of effort, inspiration, ability, etc. It often strikes me as a more personal thing having to do with someone's preferences and expectations in what they want to hear. But without further elaboration of what you mean, I guess I'll leave it at that.

Speaking broadly, I believe that the argument that past resilience implies future resilience could be refuted by the notion of a "limit or breaking point." I'm not necessarily arguing that John Williams has indeed reached such a "limit or breaking point." None of us is in a position to make such a positive assertion. But I would add that there's no harm in speculation, by which I myself wonder, for instance, if his interest in writing action music has waned.

I said Harry Potter. When I first heard Hedwig's Theme before the movie came out, I was 13 and I fell in love with it instantly. This really got me into JW's music, but I hate saying that because I've missed out on so much before that time. Plus I'd harldy consder myself much of a fan compared to everyone here. Then again, I'm still young. *Waits for several members the same age or younger to post sophisticated messages*

I'm really looking foward to POA, moreso than Ep. III.

when I heard the first Potter trailer i thought...WOW...Williams is really on the ball.I can perfectly understand how Hedwig's theme can have made instant Williams worshippers,much like the Star Wars crawl or Imperial march years ago.

K.M.

I would DEFINITELY say the Harry Potter scores. I've been alternating PS and CoS every night for the past week in my CD player, and have been truly appreciating 'Fawkes the Phoenix' more and more. I don't know whether I like it as much as 'Hedwig's Theme', but it is so exquisitely constructed, and such a perfect compliment to the HP universe that its a moot point.

TMP and AOTC I find less interesting to listen to (its been months since I've listened to either one) although there are certainly strong points on both albums. I hooked a friend of mine onto 'Across the Stars'. He does not listen to score music but he said 'Across the Stars' was brilliant AND it sounded like Star Wars music. He recognised that Williams had bridged material between films to make the films a holistic experience.