Disney Hall concert on PBS

Hector J. Guzman

While the sound quality wasn't perfect, as is the nature of live performances

Most live classical live recordings these days sound much better than many film music recordings, and better than 99% of all film music recordings from before the 80s.

Marian - who likes good live recordings. ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also enjoy good live recordings and think they have an electricity that isn't always equaled in a studio performance. If the music was miked closely enough so the excess noise (especially the coughing) can be edited out, I would be very happy to have this performance on disc. ;)

~Mari

They skipped Newman, Korngold, Rosza, Goldsmith, Berstein, and Williams. But oh well he got to hear some lady sing about sheep. ;)

Justin -Who also noticed they cut about the oppening to Vertigo. :roll:

I've got clips from the show. Everything except for the songs - bleh!

I'm trying to figure out a way to host at least the Soundings segment. It's 47 MB in QuickTime 6, 320x180, 30fps. If you can help host it, drop me a message.

Or is this illegal? It's been so long since I've last been here that I've forgotten what is accepted on this board and not.

Neil, im really wonder why you are so paranoid when it comes to posting links...it seems like every sounding discussion you come in and warn/tell us not to post anything...if you dont mind me asking, i'd actually like to hear your opinion on the work...i dont think i've heard you even mention it yet...

I commented on "Soundings" here, here and here.

The reason I keep posting messages about not posting links here is because people don't seem to be able to grasp that subject. Sites can get shut down for that sort of thing, and I don't want to see that happen here. Besides "MoffJake" was asking what is acceptable here. Next silly question?

Neil

• 6 months later...
That was truely a Great Proformance.  I was a little dissapointed that they didn't play all of soundings but i was amazed at Rite of Spring...taht was my first time hear that and i was in awe.  The second movement was incredable.  

Wonderful that you enjoyed The Rite of Spring. Thank goodness this work was left complete (though I wonder if they edited some small parts, or Salonen skipped some measures). Such a virtuoso work for musicians and conductor, and a landmark in history of music.

I caught the end of this performance of The Rite of Spring a month ago and loved it. It was my first time with this piece too (although I must have heard it while watching Fantasia and been too distracted by the dinosaurs to notice much :mrgreen: ). You can definitely hear how influential it must have been for composers like Herrmann and Williams. Any recommendations for what performance/recording of this piece I should try to hunt down for my collection? Cheers.

CYPHER