Disney Hall concert on PBS

Hector J. Guzman

It's this Wednesday night on most PBS stations will broadcast the show from Disney Hall on "Great Performances". Of course, most of us in the forum want to see it because of Mr. Williams participation with his most rcent work, Soundings, which Mr. Williams himself conducted, one of my fear is that because of it's 90 minute duration, and spanning inclusion from all three opening gala concerts, they either 1)drop Soundings, 2)they show mostly shots of the building or 3)they show shots of the building, and people talking over the piece.

Hope I'm very wrong.

For more info on TV listings go to the main page

:| Dvorak Symphony No. 9 "From the New World"

Berlin Philharmonic

Herbert von Karajan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will probably show Soundings,but I bet it will be an abridged version.I hope the air the ending at least.

K.M.

i was right...as usual.

K.M.

hmmmm... from reading the website... i would say its the whole thing... 12 out of 90 minutes isnt much time so we'll see...

Lou - with fingers crossed

As long as they put Soundings complete... I don't care if they don't put film music, though they're also advertising film music. They should have done at least two hours, I have other Great Performances that last two hours.

my "theory" is that since Soundings was written for that event its less likely to be cut then say King Kong for example...

I know, but I mean I can almost imagine people talking about the building, and stuff during the middle part of the work and showing at last Williams the fireworks-like finale and people applauding.

I know, but I mean I can almost imagine people talking about the building, and stuff during the middle part of the work and showing at last Williams the fireworks-like finale and people applauding.

yeah i know what you mean "you can really hear the hall glistening off this beachwood" yada yada

For once, this actually IS showing in my area. I don't care what gets cut as long as they air Soundings in its entirety. Now that I said that, it will probably be edited....

O yeah, thats right, but im going out on a limb to say that they will open the show with soundings, because it was ment for THAT place, and if they are going to make it a show of the theatre and not the PROFORMANCE (they better have mainly proformances, because its is called great proformances) but ill come on after it is finish and let ya know if it is worth it.

PBS loves the Boston Pops, hense, they love Williams, i'd really like to see them try that, I think the most important pieces tonight will be/should be the world premieres

I wonder if they'll do that, especially with the Adams piece. They'll be playing Haydn and Stravinsky (hopefully complete Rite of Spring).

About Evening at Pops I often wonder if they really care, I mean PBS. It's the only PBS show that doesn't use the "this program is made possible by... 'Viewers Like You'" thing anymore.

Good point, and you would think, the crowd that watches Evening at Pops, you would think they would be the big donators...but they make their money through the specials (ex. Andrea Rieu Live in Dublin)...thats where theyre donations come in...but i am a huge fan of Great Proformances and I am looking forward to a great season. Next on the list, Oklahoma! :D

That was truely a Great Proformance. I was a little dissapointed that they didn't play all of soundings but i was amazed at Rite of Spring...taht was my first time hear that and i was in awe. The second movement was incredable. All you west coasters, TUNE IN!!! enjoy!

PS Catherine Zeta-Jones looked beautiful as usual :D

well it's only the last 8 minutes or so,but i think the broadcast was better sound quality overall then the Internet one(more stereo effects and sounds less compressed).But the PBS channel had a bit of background static for some reason.

Any one got a perfect reception?

and it's not often we see JW perform a whole song on the piano,in fact is this the first time on TV?

K.M.

Firstly, Dang! Bing Wang looks older on TV from what I remember, hahaha.

So just I suspected, they did not play the whole thing(John Adams' weird piece got axed ugly), at least it was a decent portion of it that started in the middle part with the prerecorded sounds, I'll have to check the times next time I hear Soundings again. It was nice to see Williams in action once again, watching the classic Williams moves when conducting. Something very interesting, and it makes sense, Williams conducted the middle part with the prerecorded sounds with a stopwatch on his left hand, much like he does when conducting to film. It was also nice to see him at the piano, and yes Williams played at the piano many times during his Boston Pops tenure. On another note, I liked watching Salonen having fun during the "pops" part of the program, I always saw him very serious.

P.S. Mr. Williams needs a haircut ;)

:D Williams Soundings

Los Angeles Philhamonic

John Williams

Ah yes.

BTW, apart from the prerecordes sounds that represent the "sails" of the building, I think some parts of the flute and brass were recorded, am I right? The parts where sounds weird or with more echo from such instruments.

I thought it was eggshell :s We should ask a woman.

hahhaah... i prefer to see him conduct in the simple traditional "black tie" (pops) tux as opposed to the tails

Are you saying he looked like a rooster?!? :D

My take is that we're very fortunate of having listened to the piece. Of course, a nice studio recording (or rather, concert hall recording with no audience) would be nice, with no coughing or sneezing, but I'm happy with what we have.

That was truely a Great Proformance.  I was a little dissapointed that they didn't play all of soundings but i was amazed at Rite of Spring...taht was my first time hear that and i was in awe.  The second movement was incredable.  

Wonderful that you enjoyed The Rite of Spring. Thank goodness this work was left complete (though I wonder if they edited some small parts, or Salonen skipped some measures). Such a virtuoso work for musicians and conductor, and a landmark in history of music.

My take is that we're very fortunate of having listened to the piece. Of course, a nice studio recording (or rather, concert hall recording with no audience) would be nice, with no coughing or sneezing, but I'm happy with what we have.

Ah, I haven't thought of it like that. I thought of a neat studio recording of Soundings, but that's impossible given the nature of the piece. So what they need to do is go back to the empty concert hall and recorded again? Isn'!t it possible they could have done it during many rehearsals of the piece? I mean, what if the fine, dolby surround recording already exists? Once they had the orchestra and all the equipage installed, it would make sense. I hope there's no intention to keep the piece unavailable outside of the Disney Hall...

well,it was recorded all right,and i bet the stage was full of other microphones we don't know about,but it's just we got a relatively low-fi transmission of it up to now.

And i agree,i don't think this piece could be re-recorded properly elsewhere.

K.M.

I was away from the TV last night and did not get to see it "live." But I watched some of it this morning, up to Josh Groban's song, and boy was it spectacular to see Williams on the piano. Would have liked to see more f his playing, though. Who cares about Josh? But I kept thinking, this is what he does every day when he's composing a new score. He's tickling those ivories, instead of some simulated computer program.

Jeff -- who also thought Williams need a trim

I mean, what if the fine, dolby surround recording already exists?

Dolby Surround isn't fine.

Marian - wishing for a DVD release of the live concert, with DTS track (they usually do a fine job at editing out most of the coughing).

I watched it late last night, I didn't see it live either. I love the Rite of Spring but I was really a little ticked that they played it in its entirety, I mean it took up 30 of those 90 minutes. I enjoyed it, I love the piece, but I would have preferred Soundings in its entirety plus some of the other film score performances (Close Encounters maybe?)

I'm happily surprised that they played "On Dangerous Ground" I guess we can thank Tom Hanks for that. Since he mentioned it along with Vertigo they had to air it!

Is it just me or does anyone else really loathe Josh Groban?

Ok, back off josh groban! He is incredably talented and has a great voice! He was on the show for maybe 5 minutes!!! How can you say that is taking up JW's airtime?! I just remembered that they only had a very little bit of Yo Yo Ma last night...i was looking forward to that...but after all this, it comes to one conclusion...the show was to short!!! to bad it wasn't 2 hours or maybe even 2:30

I would cheerfully have given up hearing all the songs to be able to see a complete performance of "Soundings!" While the sound quality wasn't perfect, as is the nature of live performances, it still sounded a lot better than I was able to capture with my lousy internet connection.

I think JW is growing his hair out in preparation for the Chicago concerts ;)

~Mari, who spent Thanksgiving in Chicago last year and remembers the weather being rather chilly