2 Grammy Nominations for John Williams

Big John

I find this whole discussion amusing.

I think there's more opining and substantive discussion in this thread than there is in the actual process of choosing a Grammy winner.

I've consulted my magic 8-ball, and clearly the winner is John Powell, for his work on Gigli.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this whole discussion amusing.

I think there's more opining and substantive discussion in this thread than there is in the actual process of choosing a Grammy winner.

I've consulted my magic 8-ball, and clearly the winner is John Powell, for his work on Gigli.

HA HA HA! LOL

Very funny wise guy.

Anyway as for their being more thought process going on here than at the actual Grammys. I should friggin hope so! Considering some of the brain dead stoner type they have doing the voting. :baaa:

I like LOTR scores overall more than I like the HP scores, but I really like the HP scores a lot, I listen to them quite often.  Fawkes Theme and Chamber of Secrets are probably Williams' two best themes since Jurassic Park and Schindlers List.

)

Actually,they are is two best themes since Hedwig's Theme and Harry's Wondrous World.

K.M.Who thinks these are already classics.

I don't think williams will win. Shore will because of the hype and popularity of the Lotr MOVIES.

HPFAN_2- Who never considered the Grammies a real award show.

And that's wrong? You know Williams didn't exactly write masterpieces this time around, none of these nominated scores actually are really award worthy. Williams last great score was AI. Or perhaps AOTC. :)

And that's wrong? You know Williams didn't exactly write masterpieces this time around, none of these nominated scores actually are really award worthy. Williams last great score was AI. Or perhaps AOTC. :)

I dunno I thought Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secret was very good.

I think the last JW score I would call 'great' as in on an all-time best list is Phantom Menace. However, Angela's Ashes, A.I., Harry Poter 1&2 Minority Report and Catch me If you can all have great themes and have their own highlights.

Angela's Ashes, Minority Report, Harry Potter damn fine scores that prove he hasn't lost what he had. But AI is a masterpiece.

Angela's Ashes, Minority Report, Harry Potter damn fine scores that prove he hasn't lost what he had. But AI is a masterpiece.

A.i. a masterpiece?

Ummmm no!

Sorry Morn but those horrible techno/rock tracks definately hold this one back from reaching that status IMO. :sigh:

I love that JW has such a plathora of themes and music from so many different genres, that I can placate just about anyone as to Williams' talent.

To the techno lovers- I give them The Moon Rising and the Chase through Curosant (wrong spelling).

To the Jazz poeple- Catch Me if you can, and a lot of the early stuff, like the ideal lounge track from Eiger Sanction. Also a lot of people gained respect for him after learning that he was the pianist on the Peter Gunn theme.

To the Celtic music lovers- Far and Away. Most are blown away by Fighting for Dough.

To the Metallica lovers- All you need is The Imperial March and Duel of the Fates. Play them The Imperial March on electric guitar- they're yours. BTW- that works for Beethoven also. The Fur Elise is probably the first electric guitar piece, and is absolutely perfect on it. Beethoven was a metal head, Mozart was a hippy.

To the old Jewish poeple- Fiddler on the Roof and Schindler's List.

To those who say he is not diverse enough- Dry your tears, Africa and Look Down, Lord shut them up pretty quickly.

To those he says he's too Dramatic, too brassy- Angela's Ashes, Presumed Innocent and Jane Eyre.

To those who like Fun, exciting music- Presenting the Hook and The Devil's Dance.

To those he says, he lacks structure- I give the mAdventures on Earth and scherzo for Motorcycle and orchestra.

To those who like horror music- simple three point remedy- Dracula Main Theme, The Fury Main Theme, and from Images- Blood Moon and any other track. Funny note about this: in the movie "Shadow of Teh Vampire", there is a record player playing when they shoot the final scene, which is the final scene of the first Vampire movie, Nosferatu. The music on the record player is from Williams' Dracula! I found it a great homage/anachronism/tribute.

And to those who say 'Who the hell cares about music from the movies?' I give: Indiana Jones, Jaws, E.T. and Jurrasic Park. That shuts them up.

Seriously- I've converted dozens of people.

Morlock- A fan of John Towner Williams :)

Fine, maybe not metal head- but Fur elise is as pure a rock song as any.

Morlock- who feels very stupid at calling the classic Fur Elise a rock song, but asks potential flamers to thin about it a bit

Morlock 2- Thanx nja! ;):)

What the hell do you think you are? Asking what a flamer is? How long have you been on the internet? You total moron you don't even know what flaming is!

Morn - Showing nja what flaming is

I love that JW has such a plathora of themes and music from so many different genres, that I can placate just about anyone as to Williams' talent.

To the techno lovers- I give them The Moon Rising and the Chase through Curosant (wrong spelling).

To the Jazz poeple- Catch Me if you can, and a lot of the early stuff, like the ideal lounge track from Eiger Sanction. Also a lot of people gained respect for him after learning that he was the pianist on the Peter Gunn theme.

To the Celtic music lovers- Far and Away. Most are blown away by Fighting for Dough.

To the Metallica lovers- All you need is The Imperial March and Duel of the Fates. Play them The Imperial March on electric guitar- they're yours. BTW- that works for Beethoven also. The Fur Elise is probably the first electric guitar piece, and is absolutely perfect on it. Beethoven was a metal head, Mozart was a hippy.

To the old Jewish poeple- Fiddler on the Roof and Schindler's List.

To those who say he is not diverse enough- Dry your tears, Africa and Look Down, Lord shut them up pretty quickly.

To those he says he's too Dramatic, too brassy- Angela's Ashes, Presumed Innocent and Jane Eyre.

To those who like Fun, exciting music- Presenting the Hook and The Devil's Dance.

To those he says, he lacks structure- I give the mAdventures on Earth and scherzo for Motorcycle and orchestra.

To those who like horror music- simple three point remedy- Dracula Main Theme, The Fury Main Theme, and from Images- Blood Moon and any other track. Funny note about this: in the movie "Shadow of Teh Vampire", there is a record player playing when they shoot the final scene, which is the final scene of the first Vampire movie, Nosferatu. The music on the record player is from Williams' Dracula! I found it a great homage/anachronism/tribute.  

And to those who say 'Who the hell cares about music from the movies?' I give: Indiana Jones, Jaws, E.T. and Jurrasic Park. That shuts them up.

Seriously- I've converted dozens of people.

Morlock- A fan of John Towner Williams :)

Best post I have ever seen, well spoken, BTW I am a fan of John Towner Williams too! Just one queston....What is your opinon of Amistad?

@nja: only the Morlock 2 was directed at you.

I love Amistad. Any diversity makes me proud to be a JW fan, particulaly when it's done so well. Best and most authentic sounding African music i've ever heard (in a film score).