2 Grammy Nominations for John Williams

Big John

Both in the same category, though ...

Category 79

Best Score Soundtrack Album For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media

(Award to Composer(s) for an original score created specifically for, or as a companion to, a current legitimate motion picture, television show or series or other visual media.)

* Catch Me If You Can

John Williams, composer (John Williams)

[DreamWorks]

* Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets

John Williams, composer (John Williams)

[Warner Sunset/Nonesuch/Atlantic Records]

* The Hours

Philip Glass, composer (Philip Glass)

[Nonesuch Records]

* The Lord Of The Rings - The Two Towers

Howard Shore, composer (Howard Shore)

[Reprise Records/WMG Soundtracks]

* Seabiscuit

Randy Newman, composer (Randy Newman)

[Decca Records]

See the full list at http://www.grammy.com/awards/grammy/46noms.aspx

BigJohn

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not know you were a Howard fan, well atleast someone likes his music, j/k, I will be going for JW.  Hope you win bud!

Of that list I think TTT is the best and most worthy, and it will make up for the fact that the idiots and the Academy Awards deemed TTT ineligable because it was a sequel score.

Stefancos- who thinks CMIYC was outstanding, but CoS was sadly lacking.

Of that list I think TTT is the best and most worthy . . .

Stefancos- who thinks CMIYC was outstanding, but CoS was sadly lacking.

Yeah, Whatever. ;)

Of that list I think TTT is the best and most worthy, and it will make up for the fact that the idiots and the Academy Awards deemed TTT ineligable because it was a sequel score.

Traitor.You should kick yourself out of the Phantom Zone Trio.

Well,as for me,Williams can write the crapiest score of his career,I'll still be rooting for him come Oscar or Grammy night,regardless if someone else is clearly worthier.

K.M.

Well,as for me,Williams can write the crapiest score of his career,I'll still be rooting for him come Oscar or Grammy night,regardless if someone else is clearly worthier.  

Huzzah for blind devotion! ;)

Ray Barnsbury-who's the same way

I hope he wins for CoS,although I think its the least deserving score of his career for somekind of award.Don`t get me wrong,the c.d. is one of his best put togheter albums in a while,but the actual score is another story.I can`t forgive all the cues that were re-recorded from PS by lack of time.

K.M.

I normally don't want to comment stuff like... but when people choose TTT over CoS (or even Catch Me) I do.. :) I think the first 8 tracks or so of TTT were pretty bad. After that it improved and a couple of the tracks are really good. But one track of CoS has more brilliant composition than the whole album of TTT combined. You can argue that TTT works better in the movie. But not without having seen the movie can you.

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets

I certainly dont think that score makes the grade to be nominated for an award.

Some wonderful parts in it. But overall, i dont think it's worthy of such a rating.

Melange - Just hired some ex-S.A.S to patrol his house, and activated the land mines.

@Stefancos: John Williams should win because John Williams is more often than not better than anyone who's not John Williams.

And guys- This is the Grammies we're talking about, not a real award show. Shore will probably get it since TTT was the most popular movie last year among the MTV generation.

Morlock- who thinks there's a difference between being a JW fanboy and thinking JW is the best

Molock 2- Who loves all the Simpsons Grammy jokes (Especialy the disclaimer in 'The Mansion Family' episode)

I really don't understand why people think anything good about Lord of the Rings because I think it really sucks ;) , even if most of people think not.

I really think that John Williams must win for Chamber of Secrets because the soundtrack really worth it, and not just because it is John Williams.

But I doubt John Williams can win because two scores are nominated, like for the Academy Awards for Harry Potter and Artificial Intelligence... That year, the best music from far was Harry Potter but didn't win :angry:

Fawkes the Phoenix alone is reason for CoS to win over TTT.  The same goes for the CMiYC Main Titles and The Float.

Ray Barnsbury

Oh how you speak the truth!!!

;) - Metropolis soundtrack the anime version.

Nah, Shore's got it nailed.

Unless these Grammy judges are baised towards Williams.

Stefancos- :)

Hey Williams has won in the past against what many believed were favored scores. The Grammy folks seem to like him!

I don't think Williams should win because he is Williams, but both those scores sour above the drivel that is The Two Towers. Please, I couldn't be more bored if I sat and watched paint dry.

I don't think Williams should win because he is Williams, but both those scores sour above the drivel that is The Two Towers.  Please, I couldn't be more bored if I sat and watched paint dry.

Don't know if I feel that strongly- it seems to work halfway decently with the film, but in regards to independent listening, it doesn't hold a candle to anything Williams.

Some of those themes sound so cliched when you don't have the film to distract you.

I think the Rohan theme is as basic and cliched as it gets. And Gollum's song is basicaly a terrible Bond song, which is an achievment- as so many of them suck on so many different levels. And I don't care what people say- Torrini is simply Bjork but cheaper. Nothing unique about her singing.

That fiddle was horribly wrong. WHy on earth do I want to think of Ireland when I am watching middle earth. Bad choice, highly unimaginative and completely banal. Bring on a better composer already!

exactly! that is what i am saying....middle earth is music that should not sound like it is from the UNITEd KINGDOM! It should not sound like it is from the islands of new zeland either...the point of this was for it to sound like original music not a irish jig! :D sorry my howard friends :D i just dont like howard....it all sounds like orff :devil: howard you need new material and a new sense of music....

That fiddle was horribly wrong.  WHy on earth do I want to think of Ireland when I am watching middle earth.  Bad choice, highly unimaginative and completely banal.  Bring on a better composer already!

Oh yeah, we know how brilliantly imaginative it was for Williams to use the celesta the evoke the magical world of Harry Potter...

Please...

That fiddle was horribly wrong.  WHy on earth do I want to think of Ireland when I am watching middle earth.  Bad choice, highly unimaginative and completely banal.  Bring on a better composer already!

It was actually a Norwegian fiddle, should someone with a outstanding musical background as yourself know this?

Stefancos- :devil:

Well, you just slapped yourself in the face. A celeste is an instrument in the orchestra which is like using any other orchestral instrument. It does not invoke a particular environment as an Irish fiddle does. My whole point, as you so brilliantly helped in illustrating is the fact that one should use instruments that do not let me think of anything other than what I am seeing. Celeste invokes children, so it is wisely used. Irish fiddle invokes Ireland so it takes me out of the realm of middle earth. Furthermore, the tune Williams did is completely done for Harry Potter without it sounding like anything else, again, Shore did a tune that sounded Irish...... the result, taking me out of middle earth. So, one other time, I thank you for making my point for me.....

What was that quote I love so much "Let's surround ourselves with geniuses to hide our stupidity"

exactly!  that is what i am saying....middle earth is music that should not sound like it is from the UNITEd KINGDOM!  It should not sound like it is from the islands of new zeland either...the point of this was for it to sound like original music not a irish jig!

Two things: First, as Stefan said above, it's a Norwegian instrument, and neither the fiddle nor the theme sounds Irish to me. And no, Middle-earth should certainly not sound totally different from "European" music. Many places and cultures in Tolkien were based on existing locations/people. The Shire is supposed to be the place where Tolkien grew up, and the whole Rohan culture is very Viking-like. A touch of Norwegian music is perfectly appropriate.

Marian - who thinks that theme is very beautiful, especially when played by that fiddle.

Every single person I've spoken too has said it sounded Irish to him. And there is nothing Norwegian about the sound of a Norwegian fiddle.

The theme is nice, and great in the movie- but is as basic as it gets.

TTT is the best score of the five, in my opinion, but I would like to see Williams' Potter music get a little recognition for once. I have a feeling Glass is going to win, though, since Williams has already won enough Grammies and, in the eyes of whoever votes for these worthless awards, he doesn't need anymore. Shore has already been awarded for FOTR. But Glass is a "real" composer. They'll probably give it to him.

I like LOTR scores overall more than I like the HP scores, but I really like the HP scores a lot, I listen to them quite often. Fawkes Theme and Chamber of Secrets are probably Williams' two best themes since Jurassic Park and Schindlers List.

:devil: "Night Battle" from First Knight (Goldsmith)

I would'nt mind too much if Glass won- The hours, IMO, although not being a great score, is a feel for the movie and makes the ideal reading album.

Well, you just slapped yourself in the face.  A celeste is an instrument in the orchestra which is like using any other orchestral instrument.  It does not invoke a particular environment as an Irish fiddle does.  My whole point, as you so brilliantly helped in illustrating is the fact that one should use instruments that do not let me think of anything other than what I am seeing.  Celeste invokes children, so it is wisely used.  Irish fiddle invokes Ireland so it takes me out of the realm of middle earth.  Furthermore, the tune Williams did is completely done for Harry Potter without it sounding like anything else, again, Shore did a tune that sounded Irish...... the result, taking me out of middle earth.  So, one other time, I thank you for making my point for me.....  

What was that quote I love so much "Let's surround ourselves with geniuses to hide our stupidity"

Bravo!

Ray Barnsbury :sleepy:

exactly!  that is what i am saying....middle earth is music that should not sound like it is from the UNITEd KINGDOM!  It should not sound like it is from the islands of new zeland either...the point of this was for it to sound like original music not a irish jig!

Two things: First, as Stefan said above, it's a Norwegian instrument, and neither the fiddle nor the theme sounds Irish to me. And no, Middle-earth should certainly not sound totally different from "European" music. Many places and cultures in Tolkien were based on existing locations/people. The Shire is supposed to be the place where Tolkien grew up, and the whole Rohan culture is very Viking-like. A touch of Norwegian music is perfectly appropriate.

Marian - who thinks that theme is very beautiful, especially when played by that fiddle.

Although I have to say that I find some melodic aspects of the Rohan theme to be weak (just an opinion), I don?t understand all the huff over the Norwegian fiddle. The special features on the extended editions actually give some serious discussion to Tolkien's patterning of LOTR cultures after the cultures of actual people groups.

Many of the Rohan characteristics he describes in the books are kind of a combination of Viking and Celtic culture. For example, the description of the Rohan great hall bears much resemblance to the great hall in Beowulf.

I?m a little confused about what Wael et al are suggesting- no culture references whatsoever in the music? What exactly should Middle Earth sound like? Of course noone's looking for quotations of folk tunes, but wouldn't cultures that Tolkien himself was borrowing from be the obvious source of inspiration for the score?

Sorry folks but I am with Mr. Cosman on this one!

I really enjoyed the Two Towers score.

It was not as good as the first but it was good stuff. Especially the Helm's Deep Battle Tracks near the end. :sleepy: