So....Harry, Jason, Ray... (a new era)

Director

Ren -- Sorry that I haven't sent the pics yet. I promise I'll get them to you this weekend.

Harry -- I'll respond tomorrow. (Thursday)

:)

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't listen to me again then.  Anyone who thinks ROTJ is one of the best 3 Williams' scores ever is, well... Much of it is a rehash of Star Wars.  It shouldn't have been called an "Original Score", borrowed score is more like it.  Its still a good score but not top 3 ever.

:roll: Don't be silly, that is one of the biggest exaggerations I have heard and don't forget it's a sequal score for god's sake!

Well, he's one of my most liked composers. But I can understand that you find 'The Right Stuff' crappy, considering your overall tastes

Now, just what is that supposed to mean? You have a problem with my tastes? what problem? :)

Instead of Zimmer's The Lion King, Alan Silvestri should've won in '94 for Forrest Gump.

Agreed.

Don't listen to me again then.  Anyone who thinks ROTJ is one of the best 3 Williams' scores ever is, well... Much of it is a rehash of Star Wars.  It shouldn't have been called an "Original Score", borrowed score is more like it.  Its still a good score but not top 3 ever.

:roll: Don't be silly, that is one of the biggest exaggerations I have heard and don't forget it's a sequal score for god's sake!

Well, he's one of my most liked composers. But I can understand that you find 'The Right Stuff' crappy, considering your overall tastes

Now, just what is that supposed to mean? You have a problem with my tastes? what problem? :|

Instead of Zimmer's The Lion King, Alan Silvestri should've won in '94 for Forrest Gump.

Agreed.

Truly said, Return of the Jedi has much to owe to Raiders of the Lost Ark, perhaps in some ways more to it than to Empire.

AHerrera -- In my opinion, Menken deserved it for Beauty And The Beast.  If not, then definitely to James Newton Howard for The Prince Of Tides.  HOWEVER -- Hook should've been nominated and won, if you ask me.  Bias aside, it was clearly the most excellent score of that year.

And further on Menken -- I don't think The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, nor Pocahontas deserved the Oscar.  (Many here will agree to that one, I think.)  James Horner should've won his first Oscar for Field Of Dreams in '89 instead of The Little Mermaid.  (Many here will not agree with that one, I think.) John Barry's Chaplin or Mark Isham's A River Runs Through It should've won in '92 against Aladdin --- since Johnny's Far And Away wasn't even nominated.....and it deserved to win, of course; and Marc Shaiman's The American President deserved it leagues over Pocahontas in '95.  

[in '93, "it was a very good year".  :)]

Back to Menken -- I do think Menken should've won for The Hunchback Of Notre Dame -- it was an amazing score and better than anything else he had done for Disney (IMO).  Arguably, better than anything else that was nominated that year as well.

I agree with you on Beauty & the Beast and Hunchback as Menken's best for Disney. However, as much as I love Field of Dreams, Little Mermaid was groundbreaking for an animated film in that it set up the trend for the next decade and it did sport some very lovely music. I think that Oscar was well deserved as well.

For Lion King I'm not entirely sure. The opening sequence, with Zimmer's rendition of "Circle of Life" was the entire film. I have rarely seen song and visuals used with such power and I dare to say people got hooked after first witnessing that. I worked for Disney at the time, and instead of producing trailers, all we did was print that sequence and send it out to theaters. Moviegoers were elated.

The rest of the score was effective, but many Academy members confuse songs with score, so IMO, that explains Disney's winning streak in the 90s and the reason why the award was divided into two categories (musical/comedy and drama).

What do you think of Ben Hur now? :jump:

Morn - Liking that this is a longest running and longest thread here

I've only listened to about 2/3 of the first cd, and so far I think it's a magnificent score! I've become a fan of the epic scores of late, and this one is definitely the best, even if I've only heard a portion of it. I love the Roman music!

~Harry

Hey Ray!  Are you still interested in a David Arnold compilation?  Let me know!

~Harry

Oh, thanks for remembering, Harry! I am definitely interested in furthering my film composer horizons. That would be great. And please let me know if there's anything you need/want that I might have.

Ray Barnsbury-also glad this is such an enduring thread

How much of a hurry are you in to get it? I'll need some time to pick which tracks I want to put on the compilation, as I just got all my packages in lately, and I'll have to come up with some sort of design.

~Harry

I've only listened to about 2/3 of the first cd, and so far I think it's a magnificent score!  I've become a fan of the epic scores of late, and this one is definitely the best, even if I've only heard a portion of it.  I love the Roman music!

:mrgreen:

You should get Quo Vadis, El Cid, King of Kings, Spartacus and Cleopatra :)

I think that King of Kings is even better than Ben Hur :mrgreen: Quo Vadis is Rozsa too. Might be hard to get though.. but I could send you a mp3 copy. You should get Spartacus too by North :) But anyway, Rozsa and North brought the epic score to new heights which Williams brought back with Star Wars :(

• 2 weeks later...

Dig up time!

How's everyone's summer going? It's almost time for me to return to college, which makes me happy and sad at the same time!

Morn -- I got King of Kings and El Cid. I haven't listen to KOK yet, but I really enjoyed listening to EC. Rozsa is an amazing composer! Now, I must get my hands on some Korngold and test my likes for him!

Oh, and the score for Cutthroat Island is one of the best action/adventure scores ever! John Debney did a amazingly fantasic job with the music! I can't get enough of it!

~Harry

King Of Kings, you are in for a treat. That score is pretty as good as anything ever written. With something like 15 themes!

I suggest Spartacus and Cleopatra by North too.

And what Korngold are you going to get?

I'm starting my last(!) year of high school in a couple weeks. Like you said, Harry, happy and sad. :mrgreen::pukeface:

And it's cool that you're expanding your composer horizons. I'll have to do that eventually, but my Williams collection needs more work at the time.

Hope everyone else is doing fine!

Ray Barnsbury-wondering if Dan has met with John for CMIYC yet :angry:

I'm just getting ready for going back to school. I'm making my rewards/consequenses charts and my listening maps for the JW concert. I am also reading 3 good books, and no they aren't HP.

I know you didn't ask me for my summer info, but I offered!

Ray, What's up with "sig-bashing" day

How's everyone's summer going?

I think that qualifies as asking for everyone's summer info, Ren. :mrgreen:

Ray, What's up with "sig-bashing" day

My "sig-bashing" was not directed at anyone in particular. I was just saying how I felt about it. I didn't mean to bash. Read my most recent post under that thread. Please. I think you'll feel better about it.

Ray Barnsbury

so i'm sitting here trying to fix my first grade curriculum and I can't for the life of me figure out what i want to teach them. i'd rather do high school band or chorus or something. or at least 2-8. ugh I just loose it when they can't read for themselves.

Ray and everyone,

thanks for your comments in the sig thread. I just knew that thread was coming since Figo was complaining the day before. I fixed my pic and hopefully it doesn't take too long to download. Look at the polls now!

:P Ren, who's not boring (at least she hopes not) anymore

Good luck with your curriculum, Ren. Don't forget, you're never too young to be exposed to John Williams music! ;)

Ren, who's not boring (at least she hopes not) anymore

Never :)

Ray Barnsbury

• 4 weeks later...

Harry, I don't want to demand anything from you, especially since you're so busy. I would appreciate the collection, but only if you make it at your convenience!

Sooooooo . . . anything happening with anyone? Anything at all? Hello? Bueller?

Ray Barnsbury-who wants to socialize

Hey Harry, Ray,

School has started and I'm easing the kids into JW. They will be attending a symphony concert of his music in November but I don't want the excitement to wear off so I'm waiting a bit. I did get my curriculum finished and now all's well

Here's what's basically on plate for me:

Third Grade: note reading, singing voice, Patriotic songs.

Second Grade: Meter, Orff, mallet holding, singing voice, Patriotic songs.

First Grade: Steady Beat, Celtic music, singing voice, echo songs.

So far my kids' favorite songs to sing are: Down by the bay, The littlest worm, Bill Grogan's Goat, We've Got lots in Common, and God Bless America.

I love em!

Harry, I don't want to demand anything from you, especially since you're so busy.  I would appreciate the collection, but only if you make it at your convenience!

I will find some extra time and begin my work on it for you!

~Harry

Thanks Ray,

I wish you were the person who decided teacher's salaries! To be a teacher and accept that you get paid next to nothing to do such dutiful work is sobering.

Time to revive this thread!

Ray -- Do you still want me to make you a David Arnold compilation?

Director -- Where are you?  Come back!!!

~Harry

Mmmmmm...... Ray and Director..... very interesting

:baaa: Tsk, tsk, tsk

Hector - who´s not surprised at all

Thanks Ray,

I wish you were the person who decided teacher's salaries!  To be a teacher and accept that you get paid next to nothing to do such dutiful work is sobering.

I should know about this, sometimes I get paid what is next to next to nothing, and sometimes nothing.

I think I´d be making more money where I have to say "You want fries with that, sir?" :baaa: :cry:

So anyone hear from Director Dan lately? I really miss when he used to post frequently. It made our chat circle complete! And it was fun to hear about all his exciting experiences. I also want to find out exactly what it is that he does. I mean is he an independent film maker? Or does he work for some company? I hope he has more time in the future to visit us here.

Ray Barnsbury