Alex Proyas' "I, Robot" doesn't look promising

A24

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, it doesn't look too promising. But I still have some hope. Minority Report didn't look like a very good trailer to me, but I ended up loving it.

Some of the shots of the the room full of robots is eerily similar to footage of the droid army from The Phantom Menace. If this has a compelling story and sn't bogged down in effects it could be good. Of course I think I say that about everything nowadays.

Neil

I would have to say that the movie is "loosely based" on the stories of Isaac Asimov. Except for the "Laws of Robotics" which may very well be broken in the film, not much seems to be left. ;)

Now that I saw the trailer again, it looks totaly sucky. And after such a great ad campaign , with those great teasers and great website.

Like I said in another place, what's there to expect if they can't even make a decent trailer out of it? Look at the trailers for TPM and AOTC! I went totally nuts when I first saw the TPM trailer. At least there was enough material to make a good trailer. This looks like a truly bad MIB episode, and that happens to be the biggest insult I could make. I'm not even renting this! Proyas acted as a hired director for this! Remember the movies Ridley Scott made after the big Legend flop?

----------------

Alex Cremers

In all fairness, there are some great recent movies that had sucky trailers. But this doesn't look like one of them.

I like that they used Neodämmerung, even though the re-mix was kinda lame. Also, the whole "Robots killing people" kept reminding me of The Second Renaissance from The Animatrix.

As for I, Robot, I liked the first teaser, but just looks lame. Will Smith is filmed cooler than he really is, and then I think his character really is. Not like I was going to see this film in the first place.

- Marc

Ah, that explains a lot.

Although the trailer did keep reminding me of the Matrix films. Neodämmerung, the way the robots jumped and landed... I hope they're not trying to imitate these films too much. Although considering the way the Matrix sequels turned out, I don't really see why you'd want to do that.

- Marc, who will eventually get The Matrix Revolutions on DVD anyway.

The movie's OK for some brainless eye candy. The extras suck major ass. Only the docu about the Freeway Chase was interesting. Oh well. At least it fills some space. :roll:

- Marc

:( Alan Silvestri - Point Of No Return (The Train, Part 3) from Back to the Future Part III

I definatly agree that the film is OK. but it's basically the first half of a longer film, and the second half is pretty piss poor.

For some reason I cannot enjoy watching ONLY this film, because of the very sudden ending.

Though I have never had any problems watching just TESB or BTTF II.

I like that they used Neodämmerung, even though the re-mix was kinda lame. Also, the whole "Robots killing people" kept reminding me of The Second Renaissance from The Animatrix.

As for I, Robot, I liked the first teaser, but just looks lame. Will Smith is filmed cooler than he really is, and then I think his character really is. Not like I was going to see this film in the first place.

- Marc

Yes it reminded me of Animatrix too, especialy the design of the robots.

Mr. Breathmask wrote:  

- Marc

The trailer is so-so. But the use of Neodämmerung is rather fitting. I mean you have the robots for one. But you also have the man who was supposed to be in the Matrix as Neo. lol. Isn't that something else....

Somehow, I don't think this movie will suck, but it'll have its fans and enemies. Kinda like AI. Maybe I'm just saying that because of the robots.

Dan--who smells a Westworld remake if this one takes off...

The trailor does indeed look interesting, it looks like a 60's or 70's sci fi movie, very typically sci fi to it's roots. Though a bit more hip. It might be very good.

Proyas acted as a hired director for this!

Ahh, a fellow Sydney resident. :) Well I liked his Dark City much.

Somehow, I don't think this movie will suck, but it'll have its fans and enemies.  Kinda like AI.  Maybe I'm just saying that because of the robots.

Dan--who smells a Westworld remake if this one takes off...

This film will fall flat and far short of A.I. (... Joe, don't even start here, there's just no need ... ) but I'm interested in seeing how they chronicle the development of robotics. I dont remember much from the Asimov story, I've got to go back and read that.

You have just commited the gravest crime against humanity. That....that.... thing! and Beethoven in the same sentece?