MiNORity Report card gets a B

Well, I just returned from seeing Minority Report and suffice to say, it doesn't approach the philosophical depth that A.I. achieved. Spielberg this time plays it real safe and has constructed a by-the-numbers summer film. It's really too bad since the premise had great potential. I won't reveal anything here since most of you will want to see it for yourselves, but I can say that Cruise was miscast for this role. In fact, someone with more range may have given the film a sense of urgency. But Tommy here doesn't so much as flinch when he's being chased by the cops, or hunted by those neat little cyber spiders. The great thing about Raiders of the Lost Ark was that Harrison Ford lent an air of vulnerability to his character. He got hurt, he reacted (humorously at times) to rotten breaks, and was therefore HUMAN. Cruise seems so cold and sure of his actions throughout the entire film that it's hard to feel for the guy. He's jumping from car to car risking the chance of falling a thousand feet to his death but Cruise treats it like a morning jog. C'mon!

Cruise aside, Spielberg seems more interested in technology than storytelling or character development. Williams does what he can but obviously he too responded to this film much the way I did and several other critics did.

I'd say more but I run the risk of giving too much away so I'll just say, it's not a terrible film (well edited, well paced, good score) but considering the guys involved, it's well below what they are all capable of.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many people would enjoy more movies if they just watched the movie and let it establish its own rules, rather than watch it, assuming it plays by another movie's rules? I thought Minority Report was well worth the 4 stars it got. It's not something I could sit and watch repeatedly like Star Wars, but it's good for an occasional viewing. I thought character development was good and it didn't have any plotholes. It was a lot deeper than AOTC, that's for sure. I mean, you understood why Anderton would react like the precogs predicted, when he turned up guilty. You could tell that he was a man who missed his boy and really wanted his family back. I really doubt any of us would be showing real grief or joy if we were put in similar circumstances--we'd just be thinking about "What's next?" all the time.

I thought the plot was EXCELLENT. It blows "Agatha" Christie, "Dashiell" Hammet, and Sir "Arthur" Conan Doyle out of the water. The last 30 minutes of the movie really twist and turn in the neatest way. What impressed me about MR was that it wasn't a weird sci-fi movie like some of Dick's other stories have been (Blade Runner and Total Recall). This was more familiar of a story, even if it can't happen right now. The characters were real, the setting was real, the motivations were real, the actions were real.

I thought the film did the score some great justice and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this doesn't pick up the Oscar, or at least nod #41(?) for Señor Juan.

Minority Report is easily among Spielberg's most entertaining films ever, and is, believe it or not, a vast improvement over Philip K. Dick's so-so story. Don't get me wrong, Dick's premise was brilliant, but his plot was contrived and over-convoluted and no doubt would have translated poorly as a cinematic piece.

As expected, the film isn't high-brow enough for certain people and for several snotty critics, but Spielberg accomplished precisely what he set out to do: create a hybrid of several different styles and genres. If that means compromising a meticulous investigation of each and every philosophical idea and moral dilemma suggested by Spielberg's vision of the future, so be it. There was definitely Raiders-caliber action in there, and I loved it.

None of the acting was particularly spectacular (unlike the magnificent work of Haley Joel Osment and of Jude Law in last year's A.I.), but it was solid and convincing, as we've come to expect from a Spielberg's direction. Samantha Morton's Agatha was the stand-out.

Cruise may have seemed completely undaunted in several of the chase sequences, but Anderton's reveries, his interaction with Agatha and his wife, his vulnerability to drug addiction, and the sly humor throughout go a long way in humanizing the character in my mind.

Fair enough. As I mentioned in my initial post, the film was NOT terrible at all. It just didn't do much for me. I thought the action sequences were pedestrian at best and the story line quite predictable (I guessed the ending practically in the first 30 minutes). But this is my opinion and I think I'm allowed to react to a movie any way I'd like. Obviously a lot of time and care went into the production and Spielberg hasn't "lost it" or anything. He's a top notch director. Williams is a top notch composer (one of the finest composers of the late 20th century).

Funny thing is, I didn't have any expectations going into this film. I wasn't hyped, nor was I cynical. I went in with an open mind ready for anything. the film simply failed to connect with me, as opposed to A.I. which I thought was astonishingly good (flawed yes, but still amazing). Is it fair to compare the two? Not really. But then again, I'm human and it's really impossible to approach anything with complete objectivity (this word actually should be thrown out due to the fact that everything we experience is subjective, based on our life experiences, genetic predispositions toward certain behaviors i.e. personality, etc etc,).

A.I. and MR share a couple similarities and I simply preferred the former to the latter.

To offer a comparison, I had no interest in seeing Spiderman based on the trailers. As a longtime fan of the comic book, I was possibly the most skeptical person toward this film. But I took a chance and it really impressed me! Raimi approached the film with respect and a large degree of seriousness. It's not going to win any Oscars (maybe a nod for elfman's cool score) but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Now I am NOT comparing the film to MR. that's not fair. But my reaction to Spiderman, despite my negative thoughts going into it, was more favorable than MR. It had something that I connected with.

So, I'm not some "high brow snob" or anything of the sort when it comers to films. I like a good action-packed summer flick as much as anyone!!

Was that Cameron Crowe on the subway reading the newspaper? I know Spielberg's Dreamworks produced Crowe's Almost Famous and Vanilla Sky, and Cruise was in Crowe's Jerry Maguire and Vanilla Sky. And I know Spielberg, in the past, placed his pals in cameos.

I haven't heard anybody mention this (even though I did in my review abouve), but the names of the Precogs are the first names of big-name mystery writers. Agatha Christie, Dashiell Hammet, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

The precogs aren't named in the short story. I'd guarantee naming them as such was intentional, since the film is a classic mystery wrapped in the guise of a sci-fi film. I thought of that on the way home and got a good laugh out of it. Very clever! At first I thought using the name Agatha was just unique, since it's kind of out-moded, but a good name for the character. Surprisingly, Roger Ebert caught the Agatha (Christie) reference, but not the other two.

Cruise seems so cold and sure of his actions throughout the entire film that it's hard to feel for the guy. He's jumping from car to car risking the chance of falling a thousand feet to his death but Cruise treats it like a morning jog. C'mon!

Hey, he's a cop, it's his job :) But I disagree, the factory part for example where he almost loses his hand, he gives a look of utter shock and I think he seemed scared in the spyders part.

the story line quite predictable (I guessed the ending practically in the first 30 minutes).

Maybe, but there were so many twists along the way.

it doesn't approach the philosophical depth that A.I. achieved. Spielberg this time plays it real safe and has constructed a by-the-numbers summer film.

I disagree, it does cover quite a few things but not as much as AI does. Such as loss of privacy vs safety and conveniences in the future, morality (is a huge good act worth a lesser bad act). I think that Spielberg has gone for a mix of by-the-numbers and AIish type film.

The precogs aren't named in the short story.  I'd guarantee naming them as such was intentional, since the film is a classic mystery wrapped in the guise of a sci-fi film.  I thought of that on the way home and got a good laugh out of it.  Very clever!  At first I thought using the name Agatha was just unique, since it's kind of out-moded, but a good name for the character.  Surprisingly, Roger Ebert caught the Agatha (Christie) reference, but not the other two.

Wait a minute, Steven, I think you've got it wrong here. Read the story again: it's "Donna," "Mike," and "Jerry."

I loved the movie, but one thing bugs me.... why do the precogs only see murders in the District of Columbia? When the program "goes national," how will the three precogs suddenly expand their powers to cover the entire country? Will there be more precogs?? Any thoughts on this...?

I don't know, but we really don't need to know why. I do have one problem though, why wasn't Anderton's security clearance canceled? He still got in with his old eye!

Yes, Morn, that security clearance issue bothered me too. So did the low-tech search warrant presented at the beginning of the movie, on a folded piece of paper --- And, while we are at it, why did the precogs even see Anderton's crime 36 hours in advance -- it certainly wasn't pre-meditated: it was a crime of passion.

I've got to stop now -- I still thought the film was terrific, and the score, simply amazing!

Maybe they forgot to clear his clearance, but I find that unlikely.

Low-tech search warrant? Paper seems more high tech in the movie, remember the newspapers? :D

Precogs even see Anderton's crime 36 hours in advance -- it certainly wasn't pre-meditated? It was pre-meditated, but not by Anderton. He was set up to kill and might have killed.

Boy, I'll have to avoid those MR threads from now on until September or October or whenever, I caught WAY too much much spoilers here hidden in between unsuspicious sentences.

-Chris, :D

Hehe, sorry, assumed anyone that didn't want spoilers wouldn't be reading any threads about the movie :D

Sorry about the mistake (saying the precogs aren't named in the short story). I don't remember that, it's been a long while since I've read it. Boy though, thank God they changed those names. Donna, Mike and Jerry? Ugh. I like the changes. More character.

It was pre-meditated. Remember the second of the two things Anderton had thought about ever since Sean was taken? It was what he'd do to the person if he ever found out who killed his little boy? That seems like quite a few years'/months' worth of pre-meditating the murder to me.

It was pre-meditated.  Remember the second of the two things Anderton had thought about ever since Sean was taken?  It was what he'd do to the person if he ever found out who killed his little boy?  That seems like quite a few years'/months' worth of pre-meditating the murder to me.

I guess so, but he had no idea who he was going to kill, I think it is more likely because it was a set up.

I agree with Morn. This was the perfect mix of action thriller and AI-type philosophical debate. None of it was too heavy-handed, nor was it too summer movie-ish to be a light film.

And obviously I'm the only one who absolutely fell in love with the Spyders scene. Musically and visually, it was one of the most memorable scenes of the year!

This movie has every right to be a big fat hit, and one of Spielberg's and Cruise's best. Oh yeah, Williams rocked the house once again. But that goes without saying.

Jeff -- who will see this movie again!

PS -- JerryB wanted to know if Cameron Crowe was in the film reading the paper on the subway. Good observation, Jerry!

Yea it was Cameron Crowe reading the paper. And in back of him, the woman sitting there is Cameron Diaz, one of Cruise's Sky costars

Could some kind soul post all the major differences from the Philip K Dick short story vs the final film?

:baaa:

-Jason