The Rare Breed

Darth_Gonzo

Hi, I'm new here :) so I appologize if this has already been discussed.

I'm a pretty big John Williams fan, not to the extent of some of you, but I have a sizable collection of his work. Anyhow, if you hadn't guessed from the subject title, I was interested in your opinion of Williams' score for the Rare Breed. It's my understanding that the entire soundtrack has never been released, although parts of it are available on a couple of compilations. The thing is, I already have much of the music on these compilations. So I guess my question is, is buying a compilation just for the Rare Breed worth it?

Thanks for your input,

Ben

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not crazy about it, except for the big opening to the suite. IMO, it's good to have, but I dont' listen to it much.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...3176353-9253468

For me, I'd put out 23 bucks to cure my curiosity at the very least. IMO, it's worth it just for the sake of completion, and there's a good chance you'll like the suite too. A lot of people do.

It's my favorite "Americana" Williams score BY FAR! Yep, beats Reivers, Cowboys, Missouri Breaks (which I like 2nd best), and The River to me. :thumbup:

The Silva compilation is worth it for that suite alone.

But, alas... I still want the original recordings. :)

-Chris, Who saw and taped that movie... it's a pretty cute, innocent-fun kind of film, as was The Cowboys. :| The kind that they just don't make anymore. :)

It's a pretty good compilation to get. Although most of the music is pretty easy to find elsewhere it's a nice way to get the Family Plot end credits, Black Sunday suite, Rare Breed suite (the ONLY way to get this I think!), and if I remember rightly I think it has the film version of the end credits to Temple of Doom (with Shortround's theme in counterpoint with the Raiders march, I think. The Temple of Doom soundtrack CD is a different recording without Shortround's bit). It's a good way of getting these odd pieces without buying 10 different CDs!

It's my favorite "Americana" Williams score BY FAR! Yep, beats Reivers, Cowboys, Missouri Breaks (which I like 2nd best), and The River to me. :|

Well, that puts the whole post in suspect.... :thumbup:

Morlock- who likes The Rare Breed least of those scores.

To get the full suite, you have to get the Close Encounters Silva compilation: http://www.johnwilliams.jw-music.net/comp_.../filmxcd314.htm

Excerpts from this suite were included on the recent 4 CD compilation: http://www.johnwilliams.jw-music.net/comp_.../tvpmcdd810.htm

Other than this, the theme was released on LP (Decca 74754) around the time of the film release.

The opening statement on the suite, is in fact the logo music Williams composed for Universal, and that is also used on the score.

As for the film... I just saw the DVD the other day, and have to say that this ahs to be a quiet forgetable film.

To get the full suite' date=' you have to get the Close Encounters Silva compilation: http://www.johnwilliams.jw-music.net/comp_.../filmxcd314.htm

quote]

I've got that one. I've got it!!! :wave:

I really like it.

It's not the best score, but I do like it. Especially Scottish Romeo and the hunt. The hobo in that part does an excelent job.

Mark- who really should listen to it again

B00000J8OH.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Alright! Just found this in a second-hand shop! Don't you just love them?! I'm now listening to The Rare Breed for the first time in my life! Sounds pretty OK to me.

----------------

Alex Cremers

It's also rather "different" to hear an East European orchestra play "Hollywood type" film music.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I've always thought that the sound quality and mix (especially when played on a Pro-Logic setup) has been amazing on those Silva collections, but the performances leave a little something to be desired. Nothing against those concuctors, but Williams probably could have whipped them into better shape. Most of the performamces are a little too slow for my taste. Sometimes it's ok, but others's it's annoying. Miguel and KM are correct in their statements... the Black Sunday suite is smaller on this album, but the Rare Breed suite is at it's longest.