Harry Potter and Children's guide to a symphony orchestra

PetePan

John Williams made a suite of the Harry Potter music where all different instrument groups were explained. I think this was made to teach children or something, but my question is, is it recorded? Or is there only sheet music available? :?:

I would like to hear it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong but I believe that it was recorded during the Harry Potter recording sessions and that a couple of pieces of it made it onto the soundtrack album. I believe Hogwarts Forever (which showcases brass) and Fluffy's Harp (Harp and bassoon) are a part of that suite though I could be wrong. The versions of those cues on the album do not appear in the film.

The orchestral score of the Childrens suite is at Hal Leonard.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Childrens Suite for Orchestra

Catalogue # 04490216

$60

Hogwarts forever is only for french horn quartet, and is exactly the recorded track on the OST. I soon will have a live recording of the fallowing tracks from "my" orchestra, and I will share that with people that are interested, even the quality of both, the performance and the recording won't be very well. This music is rather difficult to play, especially for strings.

Our suite consists of: (The original suite for orchestra with the addition of Quiddich)

I. Hedwigs Theme

II. The Socerrere's stone

III. Nimbus 2000 (wood-winds)

IV. Quiddich (Brass)

V. Harry's wonderous World

hmmm. that sounds interesting. . .the way the topic initially sounded that there was a Children's Guide to the Orchestra for Harry Potter Music. .Sort of like the Bowmar Recordings and Britten's works. I thought it was an educational package that used the HP music as a vehicle to teach children about the instrument families.

it could work though!

. . .the way the topic initially sounded that there was a Children's Guide to the Orchestra for Harry Potter Music. .

Thats the way I understood the topic myself so I went looking and found this from http://www.johnwilliams.org/news/compositions.html

Williams has also composed a nine-movement "Children's Suite"  based upon themes from the score, each of which highlights a different section of the orchestra in the manner of Benjamin Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra; this suite was also recorded at the September sessions at London's Air Lyndhurst recording studios.

I would be interested in knowing what each movement consisted of, and if there is text to accompany it as an educational tool; i.e. "This next movement features the woodwinds" etc.

Hogwarts forever is only for french horn quartet, and is exactly the recorded track on the OST. I soon will have a live recording of the fallowing tracks from "my" orchestra, and I will share that with people that are interested, even the quality of both, the performance and the recording won't be very well. This music is rather difficult to play, especially for strings.

Our suite consists of: (The original suite for orchestra with the addition of Quiddich)

I. Hedwigs Theme

II. The Socerrere's stone

III. Nimbus 2000 (wood-winds)

IV. Quiddich (Brass)

V. Hogwarts forever

I haven't seen the string parts (esp. violins), but just listening to the the long superfast runs the violins (and more? it sounds like just high strings)have is astounding that anyone can actually play that fast... I don't think my fingers will move that quickly! (Though from what I hear, violin is easier to play than cello and so can have what would otherwise look like a harder part.) There's some other things that elicit a similar response (Paganini's Caprices, the fight music in Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet), but not a whole lot. I would have pressed my director to get the (other) Potter suite if I thought there was a chance in the world we could actually perform it.

Oups, there was a little mistake in my suite. The last one wasn't Hogwarts forever, but Harrys wondewrous world.

It's corrected now. damn missed the edit buton.

I now have the recoring of our concert, if someone is interested, let me know, or contact me on ICQ Nr. 158346372.

The children's suite is like a young persons guide to the orchestra and features different sections of the orchestra.

1. Hedwig's flight (full orchestra featuring celeste and strings)

2. Hogwarts Forever (horn quartet)

3. Voldemort (2 bassoons and contra bassoon)

4. Nimbus 2000 (full woodwind section)

5. Fluffy and His Harp (contra bassoon and Harp)

6. Quidditch (full brass section)

7. Family Portrait (clarinet solo and cello quartet)

8. Diagon Alley (chamber group with recorders into full orchestra)

9. Harry's wondrous world (full orchestra)

that's the score I mentioned in the above post.

The other suite is the one that consists of the movements chs058 wrote in his post (without "quidditch" and the 5th movement being harry's wondrous world as he corrected, not hogwarts forever)

Ok Ocelot.

I'm very excited about this news of a true Children's Suite in the style of Britten's Children's Guide to Orchestra. Where do I get it and what does it come with? Obviously Third Graders can't play any of these pieces but it would be nice to have a book, worksheets, and cd to work with.

Dear REN

I've asked here before for a released version of the music of the children's suite. I also searched the web for weeks and month, without any success.

The only thing I can tell you is:

Hedwig's flight might be equal to Hedwig's Theme and is on the OST.

Hogwarts forever is also on the OST.

Nimbus 2000 I've a live record of my orchestra. contact me if you like it.

Quiddich I've also a live record. (It's not the OST track called Quiddich, only about 2 Minutes)

Harry's wonderous world is again on the OST.

The rest of the children's suite is as far as I know not yet accessible.

See also:

http://www.jwfan.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?...=293&highlight=

I know it's been recorded by Williams but it hasn't been released yet (except for the ones on the OST) Williams talked about having it released but no word yet. What I do have is the written orchestral score of the children's suite, and that is available at Hal Leonard catalogue number 04490215. I know it really doesn't do any good without having all the music to go with it. Also, it would be neat to have naration saying something like and here is Hogwarts Forever played by the french horns etc etc etc. Oh, you also do have Diagon Alley on the OST but not the full version. I wonder if they are waiting to get someone to write a narration before they release the whole thing.