Two Towers Trailer Unidentified Music- Interesting Info

Saxbabe

This was going to be a "What is this music?" post but I had to edit it since I found some very interesting info on what it is.

At 1:42 in The Two Towers trailer (you can see it at http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lord_of_th...the_two_towers/ -any movie player works there) there was this music that I thought was amazing, then I got some LOTR cues from a friend and this was one of them. Looking at the track times and names I found it wasn't on the CD's.

So, I was curious and did some digging, this is probably old news but I couldn't find a post in search. Here's a good link about what it is... http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~miker...luxaeterna.html This did link to a Roger Ebert article that explained more about the why and how etc, of the choice, but now the article's gone into the Sun Times archives.

Would it be based on Lux Aeterna, by Ligeti, a choral piece (I read the original piece was used in 2001: A Space Odyssey too?) So someone (not Shore it sounds like?) made this orchestral (and choir) version to use on TTT trailer as Shore's music wasn't done yet. Very interesting (and inspired) choice, too bad it wasn't in the movie, it would have went great with the very battles it underscored in the trailer.

The full trailer version is really something, gets the blood stirring. Whoever orchestrated it did a kick-*** job. The ethnic singing, the "march-like" percussion, the huge choir, the big build-up- I can just picture the evil armies coming in waves, it really captures the pathos and emotion in the good vs. evil struggle.

The cue's around, but there's also a fake "orchestral remix" out there that was made on something like Sibelius. Or you could get the Kronos Quartet playing the original (composed by Clint Mansell) on Requiem for a Dream...I had forgotten what a neat score that movie had. But that particular piece does cry out for full orchestra. The TTT version takes an already fine piece to a completely different level.

Anybody know anything else about this cue and it's unique conception? When I saw the trailer the first time, I remember thinking "wow, that's a great cue, gotta get the CD"..... LOL Of course, Shore's LOTR is just amazing, but I had been thinking this was his too.

It'll probably go unreleased, too bad- it should be out there in proper form.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about that Lux Aeterna deal, but the second part of the trailer (after "You must lead the people to Helm's Deep") is definitely the Requiem for a Dream remix (a.k.a. Requiem for a Tower). I have an mp3 of it on my computer. The other stuff is from Shore's FotR.

I don't know about that Lux Aeterna deal, but the second part of the trailer (after "You must lead the people to Helm's Deep") is definitely the Requiem for a Dream remix (a.k.a. Requiem for a Tower). I have an mp3 of it on my computer. The other stuff is from Shore's FotR.

This is true, I have the mp3 as well.

I'm pretty sure you're right about Lux Aeterna. IIRC, there is a track with that name of the Requiem score.

On Requiem for a Tower, I too have the MP3. You could probably find it on your file sharer of choice by searching for "lord of the rings two towers trailer requiem for a dream remix," or any variations on that. The sound quality isn't the greatest, but it's not terrible.