More Indy 4 stuff, and Raiders of the Lost Ark...........SE?

Henry B

In the September issue of Total Film Magazine, they feature a special on Steven Spielberg where they have reviewed all of his films including Raiders of the Lost Ark (which also includes a cool Raiders poster).  They also have an interesting interview with Spielberg.  In the interview, Spielberg spoke about Indiana Jones 4 and later on in the article, the magazine mentioned the possibility of a Raiders of the Lost Ark Special Edition DVD that may include the shot-for-shot remake of Raiders!  Here is an excerpt from the magazine:  

Total Film: "So why embrace Indy 4? Surely you could knock that out in

your sleep?"

Spielberg: "It's not for money or success. It's for good times. I've always

said that I had the most fun in my life making those three movies with

George (Lucas) and Harrison (Ford)."

Total Film: "It's been a fair old wait."

Spielberg:  "It's a very good story. It's worth living that long to see."  

In Total Film's review of Raiders, they included a quick paragraph about Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Adaptation possibly being included on a Special Edition DVD of Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Keep in mind this is a quote from the magazine, NOT from Spielberg: "The ultimate compliment still awaits. Paramount is considering including their homage on a Raiders DVD Special Edition. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase Indy-pendent cinema."  

A Raiders Special Edition DVD?  Believe it or not this isn't the first time we've heard this.  Back in February of 2002, Dreamworks Fansite spoke with Frank Marshall after a screening of the Special Edition of E.T. where he had this to say: "We're thinking about doing this with Indy [Marshall] said, bringing it back out and spiffing up the effects."  As you know, the special edition of E.T. which included new scenes and improved special effects was released on DVD a few years back.  Could they be doing the same for Indy?  

We're not sure where Total Film got this information about a Special Edition of Raiders.  It could have been based on information Spielberg gave them (not very likely since they did not quote him) or it's just speculation on their behalf (the more likely scenario).  We'll file this under "R" for rumor right now, (especially without any official confirmation or quotes from Spielberg) but remember: anything can happen.  And even though it wasn't new info, it was still good to hear Mr. Spielberg enthusiastic about his work on the Indiana Jones films when asked about Indy 4.

The only effect fix I can think of would be the matte lines during the thunderstorm...uh...this is not good. But at least we already have Raiders on DVD, which is more than can be said for Star Wars.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't believe this just yet. The source was "Total Film" in their "Spielberg Special" (quite the opposite). In 26 pages of coverage, there was literally almost an error per page (factual errors, mind you). If this doesn't bring this publication's veracity in to question, I don't know what else would.

I'm sure there will be "Indy" DVD rereleases someday, of course, but it's only been a year now so I wouldn't expect it so soon. If anything, if "Indy 4" comes to pass, that'd be the most logical time Lucasfilm and Paramount would milk fans again.

I guess it's rather a DVD edition of this fan movie they're referring to, like "George Lucas In Love", which I doubt will be included on a special edition of the first Star Wars movie.

obndy0001.gif

And still they they're blind to the most obvious cash-in opportunity available. Release the goddamn complete scores!  :angry:  

- Marc, just repeating himself.  :P

You're repeating all of us there, buddy. Maybe if we all scream loud enough they'll eventually hear us. :wave:

If there is another DVD version you can bet your ass there will be "Lucas Additions" aplenty.

Expect the first to be Bellock pulling out a revolver of his own at Indy before Indy pulls his in order to "morally legitimize" Indy. Just like Han Solo needed this. :)

Dont tell me it cannot happen folks.

This "news" is over two year's old. It started with producer Frank Marshall right around the theatrical release of the E.T. 20th Anniversary edition. He mentioned the Raiders DVD being in the works and that would likely have cleaned up, and possibly new, effects shots. Yes some techincal mistakes were corrected for the release, obviously is was nothing as major as it was made out to be. Typical wild speculation as usual.