"Essential" John Williams soundtracks

pacey988

I have a modest John Williams collection, which you can take a look at on the trading board, but I've been wondering as a collector, what are the scores and soundtracks you've really "got" to have? I don't have any of his Star Wars soundtracks, though I like the main title theme I am not a big fan of Star Wars the movie, there are a lot of soundtracks of movies that I have not seen or just don't really care much for that I have, it seems that the music is the only thing I like about them. I have Jaws, I have the Indiana Jones trilogy, though Temple of Doom and Last Crusade are only half the entire music used in the film on both cds, I have some of his earlier works (The Reivers, The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, Earthquake) and the greatest hits compilation which came out in 1999. What I would like to know is what is in your opinion an "essential" soundtrack, one that no Williams fan or collector should be without?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire Star Wars classic trilogy should be heard at least once. There is a lot of music there and nearly every note is brilliant. Return of the Jedi drags for me. For a taste of more modern Williams I would say Minority Report is a must have. I recently rediscovered this score and it is quite good. The Star Wars prequels are not as good as the old ones but are still good, despite what some here would say about Attack of the Clones (I like some parts of it quite a bit). E.T. is also a must have; I also enjoy An American Journey, which has a lot of his incidental fanfares and the score to the film from the Millennium Celebration. Then there are the concert pieces; the Cello Concerto is interesting. What I have heard of the Bassoon Concerto and Violin Concerto are also not bad.

I have An American Journey and the score from E.T., in fact here is the listing of the entire material I have from John Williams on cd:

The Reivers

The Poseidon Adventure

The Towering Inferno

Earthquake

Jaws

Close Encounters of The Third Kind

Superman

Raiders of the Lost Ark

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Spacecamp

The Accidental Tourist

Empire Of The Sun

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Born On The Fourth Of July

Summon The Heroes

John Williams' Greatest Hits 1969-1999

American Journey

Liberty Fanfare

NBC News

There are two things I am considering at this time. Should I dump any bootleg recordings such as the NBC News pieces that only exist on bootleg? What about re-recordings like his score for "Amazing Stories" and "Midway"? I've read reviews and some people criticize the re-recordings for being "not bold enough" or "too slow, not true to the original, lacking flair" things like that. Before I got the Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure I had a disaster movie album that was decent, one of the Silva Screen releases, some notes were off, there were some faults in the re-recording, overall not stacking up to the original, should I stick with original recordings only?

I don't really care for what I have heard of Midway that much. As far as the other scores you mention, I have not heard anything beyond the themes. In the realm of re-recordings, the Gerhardt Star Wars re-recordings are well thought of; what I have heard I liked, but I vastly prefer the original recordings with the LSO.

I would say the Star Wars Trilogy, the Harry Potter Trilogy, Jurassic Park, Hook and Schindler's List are all essential scores you are missing.

Kind of hard to get though, these days. But I'd get some SW, HP and JP before getting The Fury. Although being on the lookout for it would be a wise thing to do.

- Marc

See, the more scores you add to this list, the more you want to add. Where do you draw the line between essential and excellent or great? Especially since we are all fans here... you need to set a number and stick to it. Like 5

The Empire Strikes Back

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial

Hook

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List

...where every moment sustains your attention from start to finish, chord to chord, melody to melody...

Top 5 huh?:

Star Wars (also known as Episode 4 to some...)

E.T.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jurassic Park

Very tough to just choose 5...

What about "The Fury", great music that is unlike most of Williams' work.

I'm very fond of The Fury too. It's certainly one I'd add to the list (though admittedly since Varese sold out of the two-disc not long ago it is going to be hard for some people to find, bit in my opinion once found it makes for a very rewarding listen).