War of the Worlds Family Theme

JMan

So what I can gather after listening to snipits of the score is that the main theme is involved with the family of Tom Cruise and his kids. Im sure that I am not the only one who thinks of Angela's Ashes when I hear it played by the piano.

Joe

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few similarities have "oozed over" from ROTS though. I generally notice that in a lot of Williams scores, you can hear traces of the film he scored just before this one in many of his scores. Haven't had that feeling for some years now though, but I think it's rather evident with ROTS/WOTW. No criticism, I am more surprised when it doesn't happen at all than when it does:) I haven't had a really good listen to WOTW yet, so I don't have much of an opinion about it yet, except some of the rhythmic stuff sounds really amazing.

you can hear traces of the film he scored just before this one in many of his scores. Haven't had that feeling for some years now though, but I think it's rather evident with ROTS/WOTW.

Had that feeling the past few years quite a few times, e.g. with the themes from Amistad, American Collection Theme and The Patriot, with Harry Potter & SS and A.I. (e.g. Hide and Seek) and with PoA and Terminal (The Patronus and Gupta's Deliverance).

It's not a new phenomenon; it's happened throughout his career, even during the so-called "peak" of his career during the bridge between the '70s and '80s.

Quite a few similarities have "oozed over" from ROTS though. I generally notice that in a lot of Williams scores, you can hear traces of the film he scored just before this one in many of his scores. Haven't had that feeling for some years now though, but I think it's rather evident with ROTS/WOTW. No criticism, I am more surprised when it doesn't happen at all than when it does:) I haven't had a really good listen to WOTW yet, so I don't have much of an opinion about it yet, except some of the rhythmic stuff sounds really amazing.

I think that's partly intended, though. Williams thinks of new ideas, and then develops it further with the next scoring assignment. The use of marimbas (?) in A.I. and then in Saving Buckbeak from PoA is another example, I think.

8O

It's also a characteristic that occurs with most composers who have a distinctive style

8O WotW