LSO concert!

GoodMusician

Hey everyone.

I'm going to a concert tonight of the LSO here in Daytona Beach, FL. Tonight is the Hat's off to Hollywood or something. They're doing a ton of John Williams stuff and some other movie score tracks. It should be cool.

Will let you know how it goes and what they play.

Berns

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so here we go...

traffic was a bitch lol.

We got there and waited for a million years to park. EW lol.

So the concert was suppose to start at 7:30. We weren't in our seats until like 8:05... they were still introducing people --thank god.

So, the concert started.

They did the Fox Fanfare which then went into "Hoorah for Hollywood."

A man spoke and then they played what's credited in the pamphlet as the "Star Wars Suite." It was just Darth Vader's theme. :D

They then talked about their great respect for Gary Goldsmith and then did the Star Trek: The Motion Picture theme (TNG Theme as well).

THey then did a surprisingly gorgous theme from "Out Of Africa." I've never seen the movie or anything but just hearing the lush music makes me want to. go John Barry.

Then they did "Where Eagles Dare" bu Ron Goodwin.

Then the theme from Jurassic Park. This one was a little odd. The opening horn soloist didn't quite hit the note the first time around. If you can remember the theme it goes B, F, C, octave B. Well, when he went to hit the octave B he hit the couple notes in between that sometimes Horns do. A cymbol crash was a beat off. Overall, the piece felt a little rushed but that was the guys interpretation.

I have to say, overall, the percussion people had a little trouble keeping with the group though. It was a little interesting. It may simply have been a delay in their miking or whatever but they sounded late at times. It coudl also have been the groups new conductor.

I really couldn't say.

They then did "Prologue from Birth," and the "Waltz from Birth" by whom they said was a new commer to the cinema, Alexandre Desplat. I've never heard of him but it was interesting music.

They then did the "Flying Theme from ET." It was great on the whole, a few problems where the group wasn't quite together but it was phenominal past that.

The Interval was next.

They started again with the "Rocky Suite No. 1." it was really kinda funny how they did it. Electric guitar and all. Fun.

They did "My Heart Will Go On" next, talking about how in 1912, the LSO was suppose to be on the Titanic but because of a change in plans didn't make it on the maiden voyage. It was a really beautiful arrangement. I loved it. I heard people cried from it.

They then did "Harry Potter Suite." It was the best piece which is understandable because the LSO is going home tommorow, they get a day off to "re-acclimate to the weather," and then the next day they begin recording for the next Harry Potter, with music by the man who did the next piece.

They did "Overture to Much Ado About Nothing" by Patrick Doyle. I have to say, I can see how he was a good choice for the scoring of Harry Potter. He is able to use a lot of the techniques that John used in Harry but I think his score might sound a little too bright for Harry but we'll see.

Then they did Schindler's List. It was gorgous. The soloist didn't do many of the embelishments but it was still really wonderful. Was a little flat on a high note but past that flawless. Again though, they did have some trouble between the soloist and the ensamble on tempo at first and especially during the ritards but on the whole, one of the best pieces.

Lawrence of Arabia was next. Realy pretty piece.

Then the announcer said he'd like to bring a special guest to the stage... none other than...

The Pink Panther. A man in a pink panther suit, dawning a saxaphone walked around and up on stage, waving his extreamly long tail about over his head and flirting with the audience. It was fun.

They then did the last piece on the schedule that evening...

The Raiders March. Really wonderfully done. I loved it.

The applause came next . Then there was an ancore.

007 Theme. Which did NOT utilize the electric guitar except the last note. I was a little dissapointed.

Then they did applause again, and then said that they had to play another piece that was the pinacle of their carrer. that is was like "Queen not playing Bohemian Rhapsody. Or blah blah not doing blah blah. Or snoop doggy dog not doing...not doing.." the audience laughed. Then they introduced Tippin Davidson, the owner of the Orlando New Journal, who is a VIOLIST btw hehehehe. Went to Juliard. Gave his viola to Alvaro Gomez, the husband of Mrs. Kromavitch, the violin professor at my college. Alvaro also played in the pit with my in my high school performance of "On The Town," said he was so impressed by me that he gave me his card. Said if I needed any favors, to call him.

Well, Tippin, who is the one who pretty much pays for the LSO to come and perform here in Daytona Beach Fl, every two years then came out and conducted "Theme from Star Wars" while storm troopers, Boba Fett, and Darth Vader walked around the floor level. It was fun.

They then did two last pieces.

The Star Spangled Banner with the spot light on the American Flag, and then God Save The Queen (My Country Tis of Thee), with the spot light on the Brittish Flag. It was nice. And then the evening was over.

On the whole a wonderful concert. I'm glad I went.

Whoa hold on............GARY Goldsmith???? Who in the hell can screw up Jerry for Gary?????????

This was the LSO, right? That guy should be fired.

I went to this concert last night as well. I thought it was great! I did not here the mistakes in the performance that GoodMusician heard. It was a really fun evening and I plan on going back in 2007. They come every 2 years and do a week of performances in Daytona Beach with the last one (which was last night) being there Pops concert. Everyone should mark there calendars for July 2007. I went back in 1999 as well and the funny thing is that the encores were the same. First was 007 theme then, Star Wars Main Titles and End Credits (had the same guy guest conduct as well) and finishing with US and British national anthems. The only disappointment for me was the sound mixers weren't that good at sound mixing. Some things just did sound right like hearing the harp louder then everyone else in the middle of the Star Trek:TMP theme. Other then that, a fantastic concert, can't wait until 2007!

I was shocked as well that they got Jerry's name wrong in the program, unbelievable.

Yea. I think the mixers had a little to do with it. It was in the Ocean Centre, which is more oriented for sports events than orchestra. The non pops concerts take place at the Peabody, the auditorium here in Daytona. Some were also at my church--Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church--and some were at my college--Stetson University.

I was out of town most of the time they were here so unfortunately I didn't get to see any of the concerts but the Pops one.

I'm a huge John Williams and Jurassic Park fan, I think that may be why I picked up on some of the mistakes. I'm also a string player and I have perfect pitch so that accounts for things like Shindlers List.

They still are one of the best orchestras in the world and I can see why. They had some ensamble issues as far as tempo would go, but they'd get right into it a measure latter.

Miking was definately an issue. The harp was really loud lol. also the brass was too loud for the strings at times. But oh well.

Still glad I went and will go again.

THey said they had Tippen do the conducting because he was turning 80 this year. I've never been able to go to a pop's concert before so if he's conducted before, I wouldn't be too surprised.

My stepfather also worked at the hotel that the LSO stayed in.

THey left a lot of stuff lol. They got gift bags and they left most of their things like face creams and hand soaps and stuff. lol.

One even left this porfolio of artwork from around Volusha county from students, made to commemorate the LSO comming to town.

Since they didn't call for it back, my stepfather got to take his pick.

I have enough hand cream to last me until they come back! lol

That's what they said. That it was being recorded two days after they return, which would be... well... this week. It takes a few days to record it so maybe we'll hear something of it next week?