A First in Phoenix...

ridan

This October 6, the Phoenix Symphony Orchestra will be performing at Phoenix College (my college), and part of the program is the "Nimbus 2000" portion of the Harry Potter suite! This is going to be great.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This October 6, the Phoenix Symphony Orchestra will be performing at Phoenix College (my college), and part of the program is the "Nimbus 2000" portion of the Harry Potter suite! This is going to be great.

:music:

I'll be there, too! It's my favorite theme in the entire series. I heard it done about two years ago, and it was beautiful! They started a little slowly but got back on pace about a minute in.

I hope they use all the correct instrumentation.

Ridan, can you tell us/me what else is on the program?

Yeah, I'll try to get the flyer on Tuesday. The one I saw was taped to a bulletin board.

Last year, only the strings were there, but this year, the entire PSO will be. That at least makes correct orchestration likely.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long, but here it is:

Phoenix Symphony Chamber Orchestra To Perform at Phoenix College

(PHOENIX, Ariz., September 21, 2005) -- Phoenix College will host the Phoenix Symphony Chamber Orchestra, conducted by Kayoko Dan, on Thursday, October 6, 2005 at 2 p.m. in the Bulpitt Auditorium.

Sponsored by the Maricopa Community College District Honors Program, this afternoon of beautiful music offers community members a great introduction to the symphony and classical music. Explanations of selections and interaction with the audience will take place throughout the production.

Kayoko Dan begins her first season as Assistant Conductor of the Phoenix Symphony and the Phoenix Symphony Guild Youth Orchestra. A native of Japan, Dan trained at the Yamaha Piano School in Tokyo. In the U.S., she completed her bachelor’s degree in music education at the University of Texas, Austin, and recently received a Doctor of Musical Arts from ASU where she served as a director of Sinfonietta and assistant conductor for the Orchestra and Opera Program.

Dan made her professional debut with the Phoenix Symphony as a guest conductor of Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker with Ballet Arizona in 2004. She was invited by Maestro Kurt Masur to participate in the seminar at the Manhattan School of Music in 2005.

The program will include selections from the following:

• Strauss, J. Sr. Radetzky March

• Grieg Holberg Suite: Prelude

• Williams, John Harry Potter Suite: Nimbus 2000

• Susato Three Renaissance Dances

• Levitan Variations on a Ghanaian Theme

• Brahms Hungarian Dance No. 1

• Smetana The Bartered Bride: Polka

• Ravel Mother Goose: V. Laideronnette, imperatrice des pagodas

• Khachaturian Gayane Suite: Sabre Dance

• Rossini William Tell Overture

• Sibelius Finlandia

This event is FREE and everyone is invited to attend. For information, call Phoenix College Honors Program at 602 285-7305.