Hey, all you deranged Tim Burton fanatics!

Figo

Edward Scissorhands is just coming on TBS (10:20 EDT). Don't say I never did anything for ye.

Figo, who's been leaving the television set on in the other room evenings, now that he's gone to the trouble to rig up the illegal quasi-cable.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cool that Vincent Price was in this film and all -- but boy does he look frail!

Figo, back from the kitchen with another brewskie.

I don't think he had a choice!

Figo, who thinks Vincent was 107 at the time of Edward Scissorhands.

I'm reluctant to say it after all the griping I've done here -- but it's lovely.

Or maybe the booze was just making me soft?

Figo, who is now sorry he passed up the opportunity to buy it used.

I hate this course of events:

1 - beerchug

2 - yipee ;) :yellow:

3 - ROTFL

4 - :)

and finally

5 - bowdown

Romão, playing with the emoticons and trying to be funny, although knowing he hasn't been at all.

Ren is a lady??? :wow:

Damn! I know nothing about the people on this board. Anyway, I've always been of the opinion that Edward Scissorhands is best HEARD (via

Elfman's score) rather than seen.

Its a good film, but a bit to tear-jerky for my tastes.

I remember when I first heard about this film and thought "Awesome! Tim Burton is making a HORROR FILM!" :sigh:

I cried in Edward Scissorhands

bawling  bawling  bawling  bawling  bawling

I always cry during the finale of the film. It's mainly because of Elfman's score.......

-Jason

I think the score is ok. I dislike Elfman because I think 95% of his output is never above ok to bad.

I think people that love Elfman should expose themselves to some of Nino Rota's Fellini scores, especially 8 1/2. Also, there's a lot of Bernard Herrmann in Batman, even in the very brief "highlights" suite released as part of that Music for a Darkened Theatre anthology. If those are the best bits, Elfman really needs to work harder.

I'm glad, though, that some of you appreciate his work. :mrgreen:

Figo, trying to maintain a positive outlook. LOL

And Herrmann had a low tolorance for people stealing off him, he stopped talking to his friend Copland for borrowing off The Devil and Daniel Webster in Lincoln Portrait. If Herrmann were still alive, Elfman would have a black eye. Speaking of Herrmann, did you know that he attented music classes by Percy Grainger? :mrgreen:

I doubt very much Copland stole from Herrmann. This was probably another perceived slight, on Benny's part. Herrmann, of course, was notoriously irascible. (I wouldn't know anything about that. LOL) I am very well acquainted with both The Devil and Daniel Webster (the film and the concert suite) and A Lincoln Portrait. They share a common folk idiom, but other than that I can't see what could have gotten Benny in a snit. Copland probably would have been equally justified becoming furious with Herrmann for "stealing" from Rodeo (which, of course, he did not). Copland, though, by all accounts, was a very nice man and a generous spirit. Benny, it seems, spent his entire life in a perpetual state of pissed-offness.

No, I didn't know that about Grainger, although he did come into contact with many famous people. It might be a good idea, though, Morn, for you to try to distinguish yourself, rather than always ride on the coattails of your ancestor. :)

By the way, I forgot to thank you for posting the info on North's 2001. I'd read it somewhere before -- probably in the liner notes :mrgreen: -- but, of course, had forgotten it.

Figo, lazy and enfeebled.

Hmm. Where did you read about this? It wasn't in Heart At Fire's Center, was it? If so, I can look it up.

Figo, wishing Benny's ticker had held out long enough that he could have bitch-slapped Elfman.

Although I admit Elfman may borrow from some one in a while, I still think is sound is pretty original and I?m not sure about this, but he was probaly the oen who really used the Lalalalalal chorus in film scores. I think he's great with choir.

Sleepy Hollow, Batman and Edward Scissorhands are all great and, i belive, original pieces of music.

Did you guys know that during the 1990 academy awards cerimony, Elfman got a call from Henry Mancini telling him he should've won the oscar that year for batman?

Although I admit Elfman may borrow from some one in a while, I still think is sound is pretty original and I?m not sure about this, but he was probaly the oen who really used the Lalalalalal chorus in film scores.

The practice goes back to at least 1937, when Dimitri Tiomkin used a wordless choir in Lost Horizon. Also, weren't Empire of the Sun and Glory earlier?

But perhaps I've misunderstood you.

It seems like Elfman mostly copies his own music. Many of his main themes sound simular and Edward Scissorhands main title sounds like the penguin stuff from Batman Returns.

:P Prolouge from Army of Darkness

Figo, I wasn't exactly talking about wordless choir, but rather that kind of choir with a fairy tale quality to it as heard, for example, in batman returns and in the animated series version of beetlejuice's theme.