Hey, all you deranged Tim Burton fanatics!

Figo

Okay, then, forget Tiomkin. I still think its fairly standard, even if the film in question (Empire of the Sun, Glory) is not entirely "fairy tale."

I can't beat up on a composer for some of his compositions sounding similar. That should be the case for anyone with a strong musical profile, whether it be Beethoven, Mahler or Copland. What is a bit harder to swallow is outright plagiarism, either of Khachaturian :P or of one's own works, hoping to pass it off as something original.

I confess I don't know enough about Elfman to notice the similarities between his scores, beyond the basic themes or specific styles. I've seen plenty of his movies, but don't make a point of collecting the soundtracks.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have 11 elfman soundtracks, and all mainstream, so I can't say I have a very complete knowledge of Elfman's work. But I do think his colaborations with Tim Burton are always worth the buy.

Well, I think some credit shoudl be given to Elfman, since he has got no formal musical education.

And did you guys he creates his own percurssion instruments, having used some of them in Planet of the Apes?

Well, I think some credit shoudl be given to Elfman, since he has got no formal musical education.

Perhaps he should get more credit and less work. :roll:

I think Elfman writes with such style and longing and passion. Of course he's bound to "copy" himself every now and then...ALL the good composers do. It's what makes their music recognizable. I think we should just enjoy Elfman's scores while they last!

I think Elfman writes with such style and longing and passion.  Of course he's bound to "copy" himself every now and then...ALL the good composers do.  It's what makes their music recognizable.  I think we should just enjoy Elfman's scores while they last!

I agree. Elfman is a genious.

I think Elfman writes with such style and longing and passion.  Of course he's bound to "copy" himself every now and then...ALL the good composers do.  It's what makes their music recognizable.  I think we should just enjoy Elfman's scores while they last!

I agree. Elfman is a genious.

It's nice to see a few people who appreciate Elfman.

-Jason

I have Batman and Men in Black soundtracks but have never heard Edward Scissorhands, perhaps i should get it.

I only got Men in Black: The Score yesterday - i liked the acoustic guitar in K Reminisces and Finale - but initially bought The Album which had just the Opening and Closing Theme and a load of crap rap for £17 - that's over US $20. But get this, The Score was import so it cost me £21 or nearly $30.

Only!!!!!!!!!

I liked his music for Pee-Wee Herman, but I already own 8 1/2.  :biglaugh:

Elfman doesn't 'steal' more than Williams.

More than anything, I think the point I'm trying to make is that some of these composers who are widely assumed around here to have invented the wheel, in actuality are riding on the coattails of their more innovative forebears (like Rota and Herrmann). Elfman may have a natural talent, but in no way, shape, or form is he the first to employ this so-called "fairy tale" chorus, or to incorporate manic circus music into his scores. I'm glad you guys like him, and I shouldn't really begrudge him his success or popularity, but for me, personally, he isn't the real thing, just some guy doodling away on his keyboard, looking for "ideas."

At least he makes enough money so he doesn't have to live in his parents' garage.

Elfman may have a natural talent, but in no way, shape, or form is he the first to employ this so-called "fairy tale" chorus, or to incorporate manic circus music into his scores.

I know, Figo. But not being the first doesn't equal being bad or untalented.

I'm glad you guys like him, and I shouldn't really begrudge him his success or popularity, but for me, personally, he isn't the real thing, just some guy doodling away on his keyboard, looking for "ideas."  .

'The real thing'? Does a such thing exist? LOL

Look it doesn't matter much if Elfman's techniques have been used before. I am sure it was but one could argue everything Johnny has done has been done before. I mean, his FEW detractors always bring up Erich Wolfgang Korngold saying that Johnny HEAVILY borrows from his style. However, its not like Korngold invented that style either.

The problem is folks just about everything revolutionary thing that can be done with a symphony and chorus has been done. It was done when Johnny got there.

Its no big deal though. As long as the music itself is original I don't think anyone cares about breaking new ground. :)

I know, Figo. But not being the first doesn't equal being bad or untalented.

What does it say about the person who was first though?

I don't think anyone cares about breaking new ground.

Goldsmith seems to :)

Awww thanks. Yes, I do appreciate Elfman. He's my second favorite movie composer. And as far as my FIRST choice, (hmm who could it be?)

I think HE is the greatest composer of the 20th century.