Question about Alan Silvestri's Predator

Trent B

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first Bad Boys is pretty good, but it's about 20 minutes to long, the score is not particulary interesting and the action scenes are rather standard.

Least said about the second film the better.

because nothing stands up to Die Hard in my book.

Die Hard II stands up very well to it actually.

For my 2-cents of the Die Hard score, you can go here:

http://www.filmscorecenter.de/diehard.htm

If you read that review you will find out that there is indeed music missing on the varese club cd. A 2-CD bootleg of die hard is floating around which has unedited versions of some cues (Gruber's Arrival, The Assault, etc) and a more powerful sound but with a lot more hiss/noise (which is basically the evidence that the tapes were in bad shape). I guess the reason why the varese cd has weaker sound is because they reduced these anomalies and one could argue that they simply did a little bit too much.

What i don't understand though is why the club cd's tracklisting is exactly the same of the single disc bootleg with the exact same length and edits.

The first Bad Boys is pretty good, but it's about 20 minutes to long, the score is not particulary interesting and the action scenes are rather standard.

Least said about the second film the better.

I agree with you there.

because nothing stands up to Die Hard in my book.

Die Hard II stands up very well to it actually.

I'm not that hot on Die Hard 2, though. It annoys me that almost everyone who dies has to die in a dramatic slow-motion fashion.

Of the sequels, I prefer Die Hard with a Vengeance, which is also an excellent action movie on its own.

The solution is as follows:

Fill the 5-gallon jug.

Pour 3 gallons out of the 5-gallon jug into the 3-gallon jug.

Empty the 3-gallon jug.

Pour the remaining 2 gallons into the 3-gallon jug.

Fill the 5-gallon jug again.

Fill the 3-gallon jug to the brim by adding 1 gallon from the 5-gallon to the 2 gallons already in it.

The 5-gallon jug now has 4 gallons in it.

:angry:

Too bad the DVD is cut (at least the R2NL one is). It removes a short bit of the McClane vs. Targo fight, causing a very odd jump cut, and there's apparently a few lines of Sam Jackson's cut when McClane asks him if he can hotwire a car (that one goes over smoothly).

- Marc

Mancina's Bad Boys is pretty good, it's just different that the usual classic action score we (me included) prefer. But that's Mancina's style (see both Speed). But he (together with Harry Gregson-Williams and a few other) is still way better than any other composer-wannabe on the MV roster.

Trevor Rabin's sequel is too short to be judged.

And yeah, Die Hard II is my least favorite of the Trilogy. Both I and III are better.

I listened to the iso score track on the Bad Boys dvd. Apart from the music heard in the opening scene and the main titles, it did not grab my attention.

I think Speed is a fine score in the film, but I'm not sure it'd be too my taste outside of the film.

Mancini's score didn't hold my attention past his opening credits cue.

I own the Speed CD, but turned it of in the middle if my first listen, it's not very good.

I see i'm not the only guy who grabbed a pen and paper and figured out that jug riddle. :angry:

I listened to the iso score track on the Bad Boys dvd. Apart from the music heard in the opening scene and the main titles, it did not grab my attention.

Pity, because the classic guitar stuff in the sad scenes are good. The main title is good, one of the very rare case in which I like a distorted guitar in a movie score.

I think Speed is a fine score in the film, but I'm not sure it'd be too my taste outside of the film.

I agree. I bet it's because I (and you) prefer classic scores like Williams', so it's not really interesting outside the films.

In fact, I did my own complete Bad Boys bootleg using th Iso-score on the DVD, but I don't enjoy it as much as I do inside the movie.

That jug-fountain scene is brilliant. Both actors are great.

There are a few cues from Speed that are fun to play while driving in heavy city traffic going 70 miles an hour.

I have always thought about buying extras to sell at a later date but I figure someone else should get the chance to buy them at a cheap price. I don't harbor any hard feelings to those who do buy extras though.