The Angry Video Game Nerd

Henry B

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the new angle with him turning around to talk to the camera behind the couch, with the game in the background.

I knew there was a classic ending screen gag coming. :)

• 3 weeks later...

"Who programmed this thing!? Maybe it was Fred Fuchs." I cringed when he originally made so much of this joke in the "Dracula" video, but in this one I found it hysterical. :huh:

It just shows that even back then there were crap console ports of computer games. The Enyx Olympic games were classics on C64, I remember playing them at friend's houses when I was awful young.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder where James Rolfe is from. He drinks Yuengling and Rolling Rock, which are big in the eastern US. I know Rolling Rock went national when it left Latrobe, Pennsylvania, but Yuengling is still bottled in Pottsville, PA.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I hearing things or does the music in that game sounds like a Raiders rip-off?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the rest of the video and it's obvious.

Anyway he makes some good points about Zelda although I actually kinda wish the next Zelda was more like the first, recent games in ther series hold your hand to much, to the point where in Phantom Hourglass, for example, you can't even leave a screen if you don't talk to whoever the game wants you to talk. I think it would be cool to go back to the more open aproach of the first game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Too bad we gotta wait a month for another one.

That does suck and considering it's been three months since the last one. I gotta admit that one was pretty hilarious. A clear cartridge game that went for $200, you knew it was gonna be shit right off the bat.

I also think it's pretty cool someone designed an NES console out of a toaster.

I'm fine with the new timeframe, I think Rolfe needed to recharge his batteries and devote time to other projects. I'd rather have one quality AVGN a month than two middling ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Rolfe's got a side character called "Board James" now. I thought this was worth posting. Way to take a double entendre and milk it for all its worth.

• 4 weeks later...

I just didn't care at all watching this one. It's like his comedic timing is off... or his comedic editing is off... or he just sounds like he's trying too hard.

Yeah, I had no real problems with it. Not classic, not awful. I agree that it had gotten to the point where he was doing the videos because it was expected, not because he really wanted to. The reduced schedule is helping a bit.

I think people expect too much from him. He's been doing the same shtick for six years now, of course it's going to get a little worn out, but still funny for those of us who get his references.

I agree.

• 4 weeks later...

Eh. Middling at best. I think it's obvious that after nearly 100 AVGN videos and so many other projects pulling for his attention Rolfe is losing either interest, motivation, or inspiration. Probably all 3, and it's perfectly natural.

When the title sequence started glitching out I thought there was something wrong with the Flash player.

Ha ha, ha.

Ha! Blowing in the cartridges to make them work! An all too familiar gesture.

As James pointed out some glitches can be extremely fun, while most like the ones he pointed out are extremely irritating!

I knew about the skipping ahead to the warp zones on level 2 for Super Mario Brothers, however I never knew about that wall glitch! That looks interesting in itself.

I do with Crichton though it seems like he's getting bored with this stuff.

Like Jacob too I thought there was a problem with Flash Player when it glitched at the beginning.

He definitely seems out of it. His earlier videos were hilarious and pretty clever. Like the Nightmare on Elm Street one where Freddy appears at the beginning and straps him down with cords from all the various system controllers, then makes him play the Nightmare game for NES. He just doesn't seem into it anymore.

• 4 weeks later...