The Notation Software Thread! (Finale, Sibelius, Cakewalk, etc)

andrea

I'm using 2008, so some things may be different, but VST SoftSynth stuff is generally the default. When I start a new document and it asks me to add instruments, I have a drop-down that lists "SmartMusic SoftSynth" and "Garritan Instruments for Finale." You can pick and choose instruments from both lists.

I know that may not be helpful in your specific situation, though. I'm actually not sure how to switch between the two for a file that already exists. The default SoftSynth sounds aren't terrible, though.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't offer any advice about stuff you buy separately, but as far as out of the box stuff goes, I like to use the Garritan library for strings, piano, harpsichord, and some percussion, and VST SoftSynth stuff for the rest.

Man, I think the woodwinds might be the strongest aspect of GPO. Surely there's something you could do differently if you've come to prefer SmartMusic sounds...

Brass? Ehhh, yeah, kinda sucks. I sometimes use brass from Garritan Jazz & Big Band or Concert & Marching Band. Much cleaner, steadier tones. The SAM brass samples in the new version of GPO are great for sections, but not much of an improvement in the solo patches, I think.

Well, I love the Garritan bass clarinet and contrabassoon - I forgot about those. But the others are kinda iffy for me. I'll often try them out, but the SmartMusic stuff usually gives me a closer approximation. Again, though, this is the 2008 version, and just the GPO stuff that comes with the program, so it's entirely possible that I'd prefer later versions or versions that are bought separately or something.

My original use for Finale was just notation, and it's always worked well for me in that realm. But I've been using it more and more for creating audio files, so I should probably invest in some real libraries eventually. (And I ought to upgrade to Finale 2011 before too long, also.)

Bill Stromberg mentioned that 2011 is a very worthwhile upgrade. The quality of the samples don't really mean much to me, as I too use it primarily just for notation. I more often than not have ensembles to play my arrangements/compositions so sample quality isn't always a concern.

Based on what I've seen, 2011 does seem like it'd be worthwhile, especially with all the compounded changes since the 2008 version that I'm using. I'm trying to save money, though, so I'll hold off as long as I can, haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone please help me? I'm about to rip my hair out lol

I have Finale 2010 installed, and I have Garritan Personal Orchestra 2.2.4 installed, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to tie the two together, and make a mus file I have play in Finale using the GPO samples.

Please help!

What am I supposed to do with all these .nkc files I have in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Garritan\GPO KP2 Library directory?

What is the Kontakt Player 2 all about?

I've actually never been able to figure out how to make an existing file switch to playing through the Garritan libraries. Setting up a new file with them is easy - there's a drop down menu in the wizard - but switching over existing staves isn't something I've been able to figure out. :( Hopefully someone else will know...

Kontakt Player 2 is just a component that somehow helps play the Garritan samples, I think. Finale basically uses it automatically, so you shouldn't really have to worry about it.

Then again, I'm still using the 2008 version, so things could be a little different. I'm gonna update soon, though, I think. Too many good reasons to do so.

• 1 year later...

I hope this is the right thread...

I want a bunch of notes to be played sfz, but in contrast to the usual dynamics like fff, ff, f, mf and so on sfz is always refering to just one note and not the notes which follow right?

Any ideas on how to do this? Would writing down sfz under the first note and marking the rest of the bunch with accents also do it?

You should write sfz under every note if that's what you want. However, think carefully about whether you really want a sfz attack on every note or if accent or marcato marks under a f or ff dynamic would be adequate.

I recently switched to Notion 3.

Honestly, getting used to the note input when you are used to Sibelius', it really is a pain in the ass.

You can't simply click and move the score around like in Sibelius, which is SO annoying because you have to zoom in when you have a large score, and you may get lost which staff belongs to which instrument, and you always have to zoom out and in again.

When you enter a note, it doesn't stay highlighted, so you have to do that manually, and you have to click in each accidental, each articulation by clicking on each note, which is frustrating as hell.

It is neat to have EWQL presets in there, but I seriously consider getting Sibelius 7.

Thanks henry this helps.

I testdrived sibelius 7 for some time btw, it's crap in my opinion....so I stayed with sibelius 6.

I'm realy beginning to like that program but why they had to include this opening fanfare thing???lol, it's SO annoying....

Thanks henry this helps.

I testdrived sibelius 7 for some time btw, it's crap in my opinion....so I stayed with sibelius 6.

I'm realy beginning to like that program but why they had to include this opening fanfare thing???lol, it's SO annoying....

I changed the fanfare, its in the installation/directory folder somewhere. I've replaced with a small Tchaikovsky fanfare from the Swan Lake music :)