Clint Eastwood Presents Johnny Mercer

MrScratch

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think John Williams is not the composer of the song but is just performing it with Audrey McDonald, most likely accompanying on piano. The song "I Had Myself a True Love" is from the Arlen-Mercer musical "St. Louis Woman".

I think John Williams is not the composer of the song but is just performing it with Audrey McDonald, most likely accompanying on piano. The song "I Had Myself a True Love" is from the Arlen-Mercer musical "St. Louis Woman".

I thought that might be the case. It does say composer "John Williams" at the top. If they got that wrong, it might even be the guitarist John Williams for that matter.

I thought that might be the case. It does say composer "John Williams" at the top. If they got that wrong, it might even be the guitarist John Williams for that matter.

While Johnny Mercer has composed music, he is better known as a lyricist (Moon River, Autumn Leaves, etc...). John Williams is most likely the composer of one of the songs on the album (most likely from his earlier days in film and TV work, but I'm not familiar enough with that body of his work to say) and Johnny Mercer was the lyricist.

Incanus is correct. This comes from the Arlen & Mercer musical "St. Louis Woman".

The performance on the CD/DVD is performed by Audra McDonald, with John Williams acompaning at the piano. From what I've read, the DVD also includes some comentaries by Williams on the songs of Johnny Mercer.

Has anyone seen this TCM special?

No, but according to Turner Classic Movies, the special will have repeat airings throughout the month, though, so we can watch and record it then. I really want to see those Henry Mancini interviews....

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm currently watching the Clint Eastwood documentary about Johnny Mercer.

Wow, that's a revelation for me.  He got that swing!

That's a great DVD!

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « johnny mercer dream's on me »