'Jaws' - Music Lesson with Sam Quint

Augie

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not a real person, you know. Just a made up character, piece of fiction. Played by an actor. I wouldn't feel ashamed, if I were you. I had to look it up myself. In the movie itself, he's just called "Quint". Maybe his given name is somewhere mentioned in the novel by Benchley.

It is just Quint - he had no first or middle name in the book or film. Somebody put Sam on IMDB but it's not real.

Wow, it's weird to see characters that weren't in any sequels doing new things on Amity Island, and the way the scene itself is written makes it even more weird.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday morning, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon, the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He swung in low and he saw us. He was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and he come in low and three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and starts to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened, waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.